SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 volvo s60, t5, 56,000 miles. I did a search but need a more specific answer. Twice in the last few days the low battery warning came on when inserting the fob. The warning goes out after starting . It did this a few years ago, so i charged the battery, it tested good and stayed away until recently.
Last week I did my normal pre winter checks and charged the battery, check fluid levels and tested the battery, all good..now this warning pops up again. I have vida/dice so do i need to reset the battery as i did not do that after charging........and if so, can someone give the basic steps in vida to do the reset?
This is the original battery and like i said, it does test good.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
An original 8 year old battery is not good.

·
Registered
743 Posts
> it does test good.

Have you checked for CCA and not just voltage?

My recently acquired '13 S60 RD would also flash the "low battery"light if I turned off the engine while leaving the stereo on. I tried this method of disconnecting BSM sensor for 15-20 seconds and it appeared to work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yfqkm1Ztz4

Option #2: In VIDA, go to Diagnostics and then to the Vehicle Communications tab. Click on*CEM*to communicate with it. Go to*Advanced* and scroll down to Battery Monitoring. Expand on the available options by clicking on the [+] icon next to Battery Monitoring Sensor (BMS) and in that cluster, there should be a "Resetting the Battery Monitoring Sensor when replacing the battery."
Follow the on-screen directions that will come. For the reset to take effect, you will need to lock the car and wait 4-6 hours.

I will mention that my battery is rated at 600 CCA and it currently specs out at 450 CCA. I reset the battery monitoring sensor last night using option #2 and I will check the State of Charge and CCA rating later today.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An original 8 year old battery is not good.
I would normally agree with you except that the battery tested good with a battery tester. I'm not talking just voltage, this is a load inducing tester. I actually maintain my car batteries by keeping posts and clamps clean, filled ( rarely needed) and charged, so age is not necessarily the absolute reason.....

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
The BMS should only be reset when the battery is replaced. It has to be done with VIDA as outlined above.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok... thanks tech.....my thinking was a fully charged battery mimics a new battery.....it may just be it's 8 years old,i guess...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the replies....i see there is an automatic battery test in vida....i'll go by what it says...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
A mechanic friend once told me batteries are usually good for around 5 years and then you should consider replacing. Didn't say you had to, just consider it. Now...that's up here where it gets really cold during the winter and sometimes pretty hot in the summer. Our batteries take more of a beating than a steady climate area.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
as a follow up.....did the vida/dice test and the battery failed ,showing only 46% capacity. However, fyi, the battery did exceed the min voltage and amp requirements so that's a little confusing....regardless, the battery will be replaced before cold weather comes...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts