SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's my story. Four weeks ago today I came out to a dead battery on my 2011 XC70. The previous two months I had been getting intermittent low battery warnings but basically ignored them since the car was running fine. Then it wasn't - so went to local repair shop and they put in a new battery. No diagnostic testing, just put one in. One week later, low battery comes on again. Went back to shop. They said the battery they put in wasn't holding a charge so they installed a new battery. Great. About one week later, low battery light comes on again. I dropped it off this morning. They called later and said the alternator wasn't holding a charge (or whatever it is supposed to do - he prob used other language that I am forgetting) and it should be replaced, as well as a new coupler, to the tune of $1075 (we are in a HCOLA, if that means anything).

In doing some research, I understand that there might be a software issue. I knew that, and said as much to the mechanic/owner, the first time I brought it back, but they never addressed it. I called the local Volvo dealership (that I am not crazy about but they are closest) this afternoon and scheduled a software update ($200), as the service person on the phone said it does sound like this might be the problem.

I also called a different independent shop that specializes in Euro cars and the gentleman was very nice. Suggested I get the upgrade from dealership, as he charges more since they have to get the update on a case by case basis, and then see what transpires. Then call him if there's issues.

Any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else? Will the software upgrade resolve the issue? Ugh.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The software could correct your issue. I would do some research, and see what software version you have and confirm or not, that your software is at fault. I don't understand why the dealer wants to charge you, Volvo is at fault for having a bug in their software. I would call Volvo and request you get the upgrade for free.

That's my story. Four weeks ago today I came out to a dead battery on my 2011 XC70. The previous two months I had been getting intermittent low battery warnings but basically ignored them since the car was running fine. Then it wasn't - so went to local repair shop and they put in a new battery. No diagnostic testing, just put one in. One week later, low battery comes on again. Went back to shop. They said the battery they put in wasn't holding a charge so they installed a new battery. Great. About one week later, low battery light comes on again. I dropped it off this morning. They called later and said the alternator wasn't holding a charge (or whatever it is supposed to do - he prob used other language that I am forgetting) and it should be replaced, as well as a new coupler, to the tune of $1075 (we are in a HCOLA, if that means anything).

In doing some research, I understand that there might be a software issue. I knew that, and said as much to the mechanic/owner, the first time I brought it back, but they never addressed it. I called the local Volvo dealership (that I am not crazy about but they are closest) this afternoon and scheduled a software update ($200), as the service person on the phone said it does sound like this might be the problem.

I also called a different independent shop that specializes in Euro cars and the gentleman was very nice. Suggested I get the upgrade from dealership, as he charges more since they have to get the update on a case by case basis, and then see what transpires. Then call him if there's issues.

Any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else? Will the software upgrade resolve the issue? Ugh.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
You have a satellite radio?

Volvo Satellite Radio Lawsuit Says Radio Drains Battery
Volvo owners claim the satellite radio remote digital audio receiver can drain the battery.

By David A. Wood, CarComplaints.com August 21, 2015
Volvo Satellite Radio Lawsuit Says Radio Drains Battery
— A Volvo satellite radio lawsuit alleges the remote digital audio receiver can drain the car battery even with the car shut down. The proposed class-action lawsuit was filed by Massachusetts Volvo owner Theresa Jenner on behalf of owners of any Volvo vehicle equipped with a remote digital audio receiver.

Jenner claims Volvo has continued to install the allegedly defective satellite radios since at least 2008, and although a software update can fix the problem, the automaker refuses to cover the cost of the upgrade. The lawsuit alleges the battery drains because the satellite is always searching for a signal, regardless if the car is running or not.

The plaintiff claims she has replaced the battery numerous times and each time the automaker has said the satellite radio was the cause of the dead battery. Considering she was tired of replacing the battery, Jenner requested Volvo shut down the remote digital audio receiver.

However, the plaintiff claims she was told the satellite system is integrated with other electrical systems and the problem can only be remedied by paying hundreds of dollars to do a software upgrade.

The Volvo lawsuit alleges Volvo concealed the alleged defect which caused owners to pay for vehicles that aren't worth what they should be worth. The plaintiff accuses the automaker of violations of the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act.

The Volvo satellite radio lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey - Jenner v. Volvo Cars of North America LLC.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha!! So sorry for not posting sooner. Life got in way. So, to update. I did speak to another mechanic. He agreed that it could be software so to get it updated at Volvo since they are cheaper for updates. Had to wait until after thanksgiving but just brought it in on Tuesday. They said it is the software for satellite radio and conducted the update to the tune of $225. Ridiculous that we have to pay for a known issue that is Volvo’s fault but there you go.

Thank you for all of your responses! I appreciate this forum so much!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Annnnd, we are back to “low battery” warning. I’ll call Volvo in the morning and see what they say.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Is that something I can do myself? Easily? I'm willing to try as long as I can't ruin anything!
Neh, wont ruin anything. Try to pull breaker A location number 17 located below the glove compartment. What type of radio do you have? High performance or Premium?
The sat system could be integrated with other systems so not 100% sure if it stops the draining but try it for 2 days.

Replacing fuses

There are relay/fuse boxes located in the engine compartment, the passenger compart-ment, and the cargo area.

If an electrical component fails to function, this may be due to a blown fuse. The easiest way to see if a fuse is blown is to remove it.

To do so:

1. Pull the fuse straight out. If a fuse is difficult to remove, a special fuse removal tool is located on the inside of the engine com-partment fuse box cover.

2. From the side, examine the curved metal wire in the fuse to see if it is intact.

If the wire is broken, insert a new fuse of the same color and amperage (written on the fuse).

If fuses burn out repeatedly, have the electrical system inspected by a trained and qualified Volvo service technician.

In the meantime call these guys:

https://www.seegerweiss.com/news/investigating-claims-against-volvo-for-recurring-battery-drains

tel:888-608-5234

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Crossing Countries! I will give that a try when I get the car back. I did speak to Volvo this morning and asked if they have ideas (I don’t know why I torture myself) and she said take car to where battery was installed and make sure battery is holding a charge. Then call if battery ok and we will take it from there. Then when I was driving my sister to the airport, I blew the horn and it was not right. I guesss only low tone is working now. I called Volvo again to see if this is from software update and she said it could be from battery drain. So irritating. Anyway, when I get car back I’ll update and then maybe try fuse.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to update, I took the car back to place I got battery. He called a mechanic friend at another Volvo dealership who recommended a different battery. He said that with all the electronics, the car needed a battery that would hold a charge longer. Got the new battery and so far so good. Still need to get the horn fixed though...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have similar complaints with my MY2011 V70 R-Edition Powershift 220.000kms
Battery warning comes up in about 10 seconds even after long drives (300km+) and no, it's not the ignition key battery :) The car drives fine and always starts, so no problems there.

My Volvo dealer could not find a problem at all so I took it to a Bosch Car Service station. After testing they concluded the charge voltage was too high (15,2 Volts) and replaced the aternator with a refurbished one with 10.000 km on the clock for about half the costs of a brand new one (which costs about € 1200,- !!! excluding labour) Test drove it and they said it gave no warning.

So I drove 5 km home, no warning. The next day coming back from a job the warning pops up again! AARRGGHHHH.....

I hope a software update will do the trick...

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts