SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess it was inevitable- I wondered if the light would ever go out on the instrument panel overhead that is around the 'auto' button and overhead reading lights...I guess it never does because this morning when I got into the car I saw a low battery charge indication on the instrument panel. I'm assuming its related to this light. Has anyone had this come on? Count this as now the third and worst wonky thing thats been happening with my 1 week old XC90. Specifically, I notice when I open the car door from an unlocked position (with our without the key on me or near me) everything lights up..dash, sensus, overhead, etc. Once I close, everything shuts down in this order: interior light, dash, sensus...but the lowly lit panel on the ceiling around the 'auto' button stays on (not the lights just the illumination around the panel)...and never goes off..consistently. I noticed it the first day I got the vehicle and tested it then and it went off after maybe 20min...but apparently its not consistent.

Would anyone be willing to test theirs and report back interior light on/off sequence and approx times so I can better diagnose this? Thanks in advance!

PS my 2 other problems still are 1) air suspension not consistently lowering once I shut off the ignition; 2) temp adjustment frozen on sensus screen but voice command works)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
would anyone be willing to test their XC90 regarding the overhead ambient light? Really would like to know how long it takes for it to shut off once you leave the car (unlocked without the key in it as well as locked) thx in advance!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Andy, I will try it out tomorrow when I get time. Ours is only two days old and I noticed last night the lights stayed on for a few minutes, so I locked it and everything powered off. I did notice the 2nd row overhead led side lights were on when the dash was off...I think. Also, my wife unlocked the car today and got something out and I asked her if she locked it back and she said no. So I checked the car and everything was off so I was a bit confused. Everyone that's been posting has said if you get into the front doors after being locked that it wakes the cars stereo up...so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andy, I will try it out tomorrow when I get time. Ours is only two days old and I noticed last night the lights stayed on for a few minutes, so I locked it and everything powered off. I did notice the 2nd row overhead led side lights were on when the dash was off...I think. Also, my wife unlocked the car today and got something out and I asked her if she locked it back and she said no. So I checked the car and everything was off so I was a bit confused. Everyone that's been posting has said if you get into the front doors after being locked that it wakes the cars stereo up...so I'm not sure.
thanks- I called my dealer and they said 'they have seen this before' and tell me that its a false reading...eg my batter isn't really low on charge...and they believe its why my air suspension isn't coming down when I shut off the car because it thinks I don't have battery left and it won't do it. So, off it goes to the dealer today... surprising that no one on the forum has noted this gremlin.....

·
Registered
398 Posts
thanks- I called my dealer and they said 'they have seen this before' and tell me that its a false reading...eg my batter isn't really low on charge...and they believe its why my air suspension isn't coming down when I shut off the car because it thinks I don't have battery left and it won't do it. So, off it goes to the dealer today... surprising that no one on the forum has noted this gremlin.....
Hello Andy

There have been a few posts on the XC90 battery.
I was receiving a low battery on delivery of the XC90. The dealer said the car just needs to be driven.
To shorten the story I did not agree with the dealer. Got it to Volvo Service and got them to check all the batteries. Within 15mins they said the rear battery was faulty and not fully charging. Volvo replaced it in the spot.

Demand that Volvo Service check all the batteries to confirm there are no faulty batteries.

Regards

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Andy

There have been a few posts on the XC90 battery.
I was receiving a low battery on delivery of the XC90. The dealer said the car just needs to be driven.
To shorten the story I did not agree with the dealer. Got it to Volvo Service and got them to check all the batteries. Within 15mins they said the rear battery was faulty and not fully charging. Volvo replaced it in the spot.

Demand that Volvo Service check all the batteries to confirm there are no faulty batteries.

Regards

Thank you will do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have an update: Dealer had car for 2 days... They believe the main battery in the back of the car was not fully charged when it was received at the dealer. They tested it per Volvo protocol and it came back as OK. They believe all my other weird problems were related to low battery...eg air suspension not going down when shut off car and temp controls not properly working. Everything seems to work now. So I will have to believe that it is not faulty at this point and hope I dont get the message again.

·
Registered
398 Posts
i have an update: Dealer had car for 2 days... They believe the main battery in the back of the car was not fully charged when it was received at the dealer. They tested it per Volvo protocol and it came back as OK. They believe all my other weird problems were related to low battery...eg air suspension not going down when shut off car and temp controls not properly working. Everything seems to work now. So I will have to believe that it is not faulty at this point and hope I dont get the message again.
Hello Andy

Great news. Did they replace the battery?

Regards

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Andy

Great news. Did they replace the battery?
No they did not...their test showed that the battery charged fine and held charge fine so they did not replace. They did claim that 'a number' of XC90s have come in with low battery indication..they believe perhaps that many sit for a long time without being run which draws the battery down. I wasn't smart enough to ask any more questions.

·
Registered
147 Posts
With personal experience with cars with tons of computers in them, eg. BMW 7 series and Mercedes S class. I can tell you that when the battery is low, it does make everything act really funky!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
arggg.....went to start this morning and got the dreaded low battery charge alert again.....I am NOT happy.

·
Registered
398 Posts
arggg.....went to start this morning and got the dreaded low battery charge alert again.....I am NOT happy.
Hello Andy

I would get Volvo to change the rear battery. Since they changed mine I have had no issues (touch wood).

Regards

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Andy

I would get Volvo to change the rear battery. Since they changed mine I have had no issues (touch wood).

Regards

thats going to be my request..they did note that Volvo is 'difficult' when trying to do this as they require the dealer to run through complete testing first before they authorize this but I want them to try this and will push for this...only thing I'm afraid of is how long it will take to get a battery and how long I have to drive a loaner. Lemon law in my state is 3 strikes and you're out and I'm fully prepared to pursue this if necessary. Im not blaming my dealer as they showed me the report from the battery and tests they ran per Volvo protocol.

·
Registered
398 Posts
thats going to be my request..they did note that Volvo is 'difficult' when trying to do this as they require the dealer to run through complete testing first before they authorize this but I want them to try this and will push for this...only thing I'm afraid of is how long it will take to get a battery and how long I have to drive a loaner. Lemon law in my state is 3 strikes and you're out and I'm fully prepared to pursue this if necessary. Im not blaming my dealer as they showed me the report from the battery and tests they ran per Volvo protocol.
Hello Andy

I am currently based out of Chile at the moment and when I took my XC90 in with the battery issue they swapped it with one of the demo XC90s they had. As you say how long do you wait. I have had no issues since. For sure the dealer service department ordered a few in to replace the demo stock at least.

A little worried if I was travelling around Chile away from the main service centre as the rear battery is not one of those standard batteries you can get off the shelf.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lamme- my xc90 has now been at the dealer for 3 days and they asked to keep it another night. They cannot reproduce the low battery charge problem yet...as a result they don't want to simply change the battery if they don't know the root cause. Their tests show all is normal. I would unfortunately agree that guessing its a bad battery is just that...guessing...esp if the tests show it remains fully charged. This is a shame because we simply dont know whats causing this. I'm disappointed.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My XC90 was on a transport truck for several days and it was below freezing. When I received it the dash indicated low battery (not surprising). I own a charger ($50 from Amazon) and I read the Volvo manual on how to charge the batteries. It was super easy. I left the charger on overnight and I have not had any issues since.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, after being at the dealer now for an entire week they were not able to pinpoint the problem so Volvo finally authorized a replacement battery. After they put the battery in they locked the car and then out of nowhere the air suspension started going up and down . The technician noticed it and thought it was strange and thinks the source of the battery drain may have something to do with the air suspension now. They wanted to keep the car for the weekend and continue discussing the case with Volvo North America. I am so utterly disappointed at this having had the car at the dealer more than in my own garage. The dealer has been great no complaints there they're doing everything they possibly can however I am completely disappointed in how this car is performing after only two weeks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, after being at the dealer now for an entire week they were not able to pinpoint the problem so Volvo finally authorized a replacement battery. After they put the battery in they locked the car and then out of nowhere the air suspension started going up and down . The technician noticed it and thought it was strange and thinks the source of the battery drain may have something to do with the air suspension now. They wanted to keep the car for the weekend and continue discussing the case with Volvo North America. I am so utterly disappointed at this having had the car at the dealer more than in my own garage. The dealer has been great no complaints there they're doing everything they possibly can however I am completely disappointed in how this car is performing after only two weeks

Isn't it great that some dealers know what's going on and others have no clue? My car has been in now for going on 4 weeks. We've had battery issues, engine lights, brakes, accelerator, and now sensus update issues.

Volvo NA's customer service rivals AT&T is just being absolutely nonexistent. The only people I have been put in touch with is the service dept at the dealership. Not one call, email, message, nothing from anyone offering an apology for a car that's 3 months old, spending 1 month in service for multiple issues. 2 more weeks and it qualifies under the local lemon law and I am running away from this disaster.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Isn't it great that some dealers know what's going on and others have no clue? My car has been in now for going on 4 weeks. We've had battery issues, engine lights, brakes, accelerator, and now sensus update issues.

Volvo NA's customer service rivals AT&T is just being absolutely nonexistent. The only people I have been put in touch with is the service dept at the dealership. Not one call, email, message, nothing from anyone offering an apology for a car that's 3 months old, spending 1 month in service for multiple issues. 2 more weeks and it qualifies under the local lemon law and I am running away from this disaster.
Wow- Im very sorry to hear about all your problems. Those are huge and I would absolutely return that car under lemon law if it were me having those issues. Terrible. Good luck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE: They put new main battery in and updated to latest software (incl airplay) and kept the car over the weekend. The low battery charge light was ON again this morning. WTF! My dealer is doing everything they can at this point but are the continued mercy of VNA. At least they gave me another XC90 this time as a loaner. Ironically, when I got into that loaner it too said "low battery charge"... !!!!! but it hasn't appeared again... I'm losing faith...rapidly. Thx to the other tip about backup battery replacement..I told them about that and they are investigating.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts