SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get the message few times lately. Car runs and starts fine, batt. voltage 12.5v off, 14.5v idle. Bought the car off 3 year lease, so probably original battery, but not sure.
Is there a date somewhere on the volvo battery? mine is #30772221, 70Ah, 600A EN.
Should I reset the BMS first and see if it comes back?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I’m not much help here, but I typically get around 10 years on the Volvo batteries (Ohio).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m not much help here, but I typically get around 10 years on the Volvo batteries (Ohio).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Do you use Volvo batteries only?
Looking at the battery, it's a volvo battery, with the volvo numbers, but made in Mexico???
So not sure if it's the original one that came with the car. I doubt they ship batteries from Mexico to Sweden........

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks. Do you use Volvo batteries only?
Looking at the battery, it's a volvo battery, with the volvo numbers, but made in Mexico???
So not sure if it's the original one that came with the car. I doubt they ship batteries from Mexico to Sweden........
The original battery was VARTA from EU on my 2010. My Volvo brand replacement battery was made in Mexico.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The original battery was VARTA from EU on my 2010. My Volvo brand replacement battery was made in Mexico.
I love playing detective.
how old is your mexican battery? After checking my files, It appears from the carfax report I got with the car that the original battery was replaced by the selling volvo dealer after less than 2 years from new for some reason with the mexican one currently on the car. So this battery is about 4.5 years old now.
The full maintenance history of the car I got from the selling dealer (which also sold it new to original owner) shows no battery replacement for some reason.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been plagued with the problem, too. I replaced the battery shortly after I bought it. The car had been sitting for months, the battery was allowed to go completely dead. I tried a trickle charger, would not accept any additional charge. That battery turned out to have a bad cell. Replaced with the highest CCA battery I could find in the original size, an AGM. I also figured that would help because of my driving patterns- I will go days where I make repeated trips of 1/2 mile or less, so I was drawing it down. I still get a message occasionally, usually when cold and I haven't run it in a couple of days. Oddly enough, the message goes away after one of those short trips.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The message first appeared after we were away on an 8 days vacation in January ( car was locked and garaged).
My wife drives the car basically daily, but typically short trips of ~4-10 miles between starts. The message did not re-appear the last 2 days.
I think I'll just put it on the trickle charger overnight once and see whats up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i'm getting the same message. tested the battery today: 12.6V & 667 CCA (out of 760) on a 4 year old AGM battery. not particularly cold these days and no other symptoms: starts fine; lights and dash and audio all work. any ideas why i'm getting the message?

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
I get the message few times lately. Car runs and starts fine, batt. voltage 12.5v off, 14.5v idle. Bought the car off 3 year lease, so probably original battery, but not sure.
Is there a date somewhere on the volvo battery? mine is #30772221, 70Ah, 600A EN.
Should I reset the BMS first and see if it comes back?
There should be a big sticker on the top of the battery with two 2-digit numbers, one represents the year, the other represents the week of the year. That is the build week of the battery.

Example: https://goo.gl/maps/h8xgm69cuZH2

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There should be a big sticker on the top of the battery with two 2-digit numbers, one represents the year, the other represents the week of the year. That is the build week of the battery.

Example: https://goo.gl/maps/h8xgm69cuZH2
No such sticker on the 'Mexican' Volvo battery. There is only one large sticker on top. It could be on the side, but I can't see without removing.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
As far as I know, the stock ones gets stamped on one of the poles, not on a sticker that could fall off. Could be pretty hard to see though, if there's some oxide on them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Has anyone had key issues show up along with this? Our 2014 has had intermittent unlocking and wanting the key placed in the slot to start issues about the same time as an occasional main battery message. 2 different keys both with fresh batteries.

·
Registered
275 Posts
stsmark - your comment reminds me that I fixed the chafed wiring in the door harness and haven't seen any low-battery messages since then. I didn't experience them often before but NONE since I did that fix. I had all kinds of weird behaviour with locks/lights/etc before I did this job. It's probably worth a look if you don't know this has been investigated

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?578445-Driver-s-Door-Module-Failure-Wiring-Fix

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the tip. It was at the dealer yesterday for service and the keys repeated, amazing. Neither door would respond, when they reprogrammed a key it threw some door lock module codes. VIP covered it, pick it up tomorrow. Oh and the battery was weak on a load test.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Started happening to me about a month ago. If I turned off the car but kept the radio on (pretty common for me since I pick up my son at school), after a minute or two the "low battery" message would sometimes show--especially if I had been doing a bunch of 1-2 mile trips before (grocery store, dry cleaners, etc.).

Then yesterday the car had trouble starting. It took me a few tries to get it to turnover and start. And the immobilizer kicked in before I could get it to start.

Took the car to the dealership this morning (after it very (very) slowly turned over and started) and they told me I needed a new battery. I didn't argue. Seems to run fine now.

BTW I was a little surprised the dealer did not use a Volvo battery--it used its own branded "lifetime" battery (without asking).

In any case, in hindsight I wished I had it checked out sooner. I could easily been stranded.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the tip. It was at the dealer yesterday for service and the keys repeated, amazing. Neither door would respond, when they reprogrammed a key it threw some door lock module codes. VIP covered it, pick it up tomorrow. Oh and the battery was weak on a load test.
What is VIP coverage?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts