SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a few days ago, I picked up our new S60; it’s a 2019 T6 AWD Inscription Black with Maroon Brown leather interior plus:

Linear Lime wood (I struggled with this when I was considering what features to add when I was building it, as I am a huge fan of Driftwood which is standard with the Inscription but in the end I thought that Linear Lime was a better fit with the Maroon Brown leather)
Advance package
Charcoal headliner
Park Assist Pilot
19” Inscription wheels
4C suspension
Polestar Engineered optimization
Exterior Styling Kit

I had a very good idea about how this car would be driving and handling since we have, in our office pool car fleet, a MY19 V60 T6 with the same wheels, suspension and Polestar software.

Still, this car not only is a stunner (looks-wise) but its road manners are amazing. We just embarked on a 2,200-mile road trip which includes highway, mountainous and twisty roads, all sorts of driving conditions (short of snow).

I have driven every Volvo under the sun in the past 25 years that I have been around this brand; I have to say that, other than the previous generation S60 Polestar and V60 Polestar models, this is probably the best driving and best handling Volvo I have ever driven.

Its steering (set on Medium) is right on, very responsive, its chassis so well balanced that bumps and road imperfections are absorbed without jarring you, it does not even hint that it wants to side hop around uneven surfaces or road imperfections, the seats are amazing and it really attracts you and you want to look for an excuse to drive it!

I also love the subtle exhaust note that was absent from previous T6 iterations and plus the loud exhaust tone when it starts cold and while the RPM is still high.

The HK Audio system is very good but it does not come even close to what Bowers & Wilkins can do. This was one of the options I had to forego in order to stay within the budget I was asked to keep (remember: happy wife, happy life ). So, it was either Bowers & Wilkins and no 4C/Polestar/Exterior Styling Kit so I didn’t have to spend too much time pondering which way to go. Still, I am happy with the HK, tuned it to our preference and 600W output is nothing to sneeze at.

The Styling Kit is really nice, especially on a black car; even though it’s an Inscription, it adds a heavy dose of aggressiveness and sporty looks.

What I would really like to see in this car and for this price (around $57,000 as spec’s) are:

1. Paddle shifters
2. Power button for the trunk lid
3. More interior high level illumination, especially on the Inscription model
4. Rear power sunshade (the previous S60 Inscription had it) and/or rear side window sunshades
5. Wireless charging pad (like the one in the XC40)

Other than that, I think this car is a winner, a truly amazing machine.

The engine has fantastic power, whether you are on the highway or climbing a mountain road, it’s super. Even at an altitude of 6,400+ ft, it does not skip a beat.

It simply makes our road trip even better as it is an absolute pleasure to drive it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Wow it is absolutely beautiful! I am very impressed. How do you open the trunk if there is no button? I’m still in the process of researching, and with my bad shoulder I would love to have something completely automatic to open the trunk or the hatch.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
Congrats, beautiful car Yannis!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Power trunk button is on left side of the dashboard. It needs to be held down for a couple of seconds. Also on mine (inscription model) you can open the trunk hands free by waving your foot under the first O in Volvo on the trunk.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Looks sharp , Yannis.

Ever sharper with SoCal in the background. For another 2200 mi., you could made it to MN and back.

My wife runs the purse. My allowance is on a budget too.

I will be considering a 60 of one model or another in a few years. XC90 T8 still purring along with gusto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just a few days ago, I picked up our new S60; it’s a 2019 T6 AWD Inscription Black with Maroon Brown leather interior plus:

Linear Lime wood (I struggled with this when I was considering what features to add when I was building it)
Advanced package
Charcoal headliner
19” Inscription wheels
4C suspension
Polestar Engineered optimization
Exterior Styling Kit

I had a very good idea about how this car would be driving and handling since we have, in our office pool car fleet, a MY19 V60 T6 with the same wheels, suspension and Polestar software.

Still, this car not only is a stunner (looks-wise) but its road manners are amazing. We just embarked on a 2,200-mile road trip which includes highway, mountainous and twisty roads, all sorts of driving conditions (short of snow).

I have driven every Volvo under the sun in the past 25 years that I have been around this brand; I have to say that, other than the previous generation S60 Polestar and V60 Polestar models, this is probably the best driving and best handling Volvo I have ever driven.

It’s steering (set on Medium) is right on, very responsive, its chassis so well balanced that bumps and road imperfections are absorbed without jarring you, it does not even hint that it wants to side hop around uneven surfaces or road imperfections, the seats are amazing and it really attracts you and you want to look for an excuse to drive it!

I also love the subtle exhaust note that was absent from previous T6 iterations and I also love the loud exhaust tone when it starts cold and while the RPM is still high.

The HK Audio system is very good but it does not come even close to what Bowers & Wilkins can do. This was one of the options I had to forego in order to stay within the budget I was asked to keep (remember: happy wife, happy life ). So, it was either Bowers & Wilkins and no 4C/Polestar/Exterior Styling Kit so I didn’t have to spend to much time pondering which way to go.

The Styling Kit is really nice, especially on a black car; even though it’s an Inscription, it adds a heavy dose of aggressiveness and sporty looks.

What I would really like to see in this car and for this price (around $57,000 as spec’s) are:

1. Paddle shifters
2. Power button for the trunk lid
3. More interior high level illumination, especially on the Inscription model
4. Rear power sunshade (the previous S60 Inscription had it) and/or rear side window sunshades
5. Wireless charging pad (like the one in the XC40)

Other than that, I think this car is a winner, a truly amazing machine.

The engine has fantastic power, whether you are on the highway or climbing a mountain road, it’s super. Even at an altitude of 6,400+ ft, it does not skip a beat.

It simply makes our road trip even better as it is an absolute pleasure to drive it!

Im curious as to what interior lighting you actually have. I too am extremely disappointed with the interior illumination in my car (an R-Design) which was also 57 and some change. It is probably my sole complaint about the car overall. Yes, I would love the dash to have been tailored, like they said R-Designs would get and removed it last minute, same with the high level illumination.

I have the "Mid Level Illumination" and I have a single overhead light which shines down from where the sunroof switch is, and I have front seat footwell lighting and thats it. I know that the high level comes with the two additional leds in the rear where the reading lights are, and that the three of them together can be adjusted for different colors. I believe the rear seats also get footwell lighting. Do you have any door pocket or door handle lighting?

I think it was a major misstep with the interior, especially when interior lighting seems to be the craze these days in everything from an S-Class to a Civic. Even the 90 clusters' interior lighting is very nice and illuminates under the door trim, the door handles, the door pockets, on the dash, etc.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Very nice Yannis and congrats! The depth of the black looks even better than I thought and the interior looks fantastic.

Did Volvo add cooling seats? My wife’s Lexus has cooling seats when you turn on your AC and heated/cooling seats.

Thanks so much for reviewing your new ride.

When I had my car serviced recently at Jim Fisher Volvo they had a 2019 R Design on the lot but it was not black.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Grecian ++++1 on the request for the sunshades. My little man was getting blinded in places on our drive in the morning. We had to create a make-shift sunshade, which wasn't easy considering the small size of the windows.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Power trunk button is on left side of the dashboard. It needs to be held down for a couple of seconds. Also on mine (inscription model) you can open the trunk hands free by waving your foot under the first O in Volvo on the trunk.
Is there a button on the outside of the car to operate the power trunk? I don’t trust my balance enough to wave my foot under the O in Volvo.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Is there a button on the outside of the car to operate the power trunk? I don’t trust my balance enough to wave my foot under the O in Volvo.

Nora in Florida
Thunk handle switch if car is unlocked, and the button on key fob

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yes, indeed. But the buttons to lower the trunk lid should be the same as the one found inside the S90; dual buttons, one for closing and the other for closing and locking.

Not the end of the world, just a creature comfort item. ;)

The foot sensor works well.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Thunk handle switch if car is unlocked, and the button on key fob
Wonderful. Thank you. With my new car I will will really need that. It is getting difficult for me to open the trunk of my 850 R. Are used to be able to do it one-handed. Now I can barely do it using both hands.

Nora in Florida

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats, beautiful car Yannis!
Thank you; I am not a huge fan of Black cars (knowing how hard they are to keep clean and that goes against my car look OCD) but I have to admit it’s stunning.

Only had it for less than 10 days and the random, unsolicited, comments I have been getting from strangers are very flattering.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very nice Yannis and congrats! The depth of the black looks even better than I thought and the interior looks fantastic.
This is only my second, ever, Black Volvo (previously, I had a Black ‘98 V70 R) and it is stunning. It also helps to have the exterior styling kit (adds “muscle” to a color that reduces size) and the wheels have large gaps where they are painted shiny black.

Did Volvo add cooling seats? My wife’s Lexus has cooling seats when you turn on your AC and heated/cooling seats.

No cooling seats, just power extensions for the thighs.
Luxury package adds cooling seats (along with massage function for the backrest)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hey GV, can you comment on 4C chassis more. I am considering this option if I go with another S60 next year, and it is impossible to find one in stock at any local retailer, available for a test drive. Is the difference in ride quality and handling noticeable, compared to the regular chassis on Inscription ?

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
What do you mean?

Ok, here is the background info:

"PA with Navi" is listed standard for MY2020 XC60 P*Engineered and V60 P*Engineered model.
We assume it is the "Pilot Assist Generation 3" utilizes GPS and map data, that "handles like human driver on curves", as stated in a Pilot Assist Upgrade accessory for MY2019 V60/S60. :)

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, here is the background info:

"PA with Navi" is listed standard for MY2020 XC60 P*Engineered and V60 P*Engineered model.
We assume it is the "Pilot Assist Generation 3" utilizes GPS and map data, that "handles like human driver on curves", as stated in a Pilot Assist Upgrade accessory for MY2019 V60/S60. :)
Oh that one. No, my car does not have it.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey GV, can you comment on 4C chassis more. I am considering this option if I go with another S60 next year, and it is impossible to find one in stock at any local retailer, available for a test drive. Is the difference in ride quality and handling noticeable, compared to the regular chassis on Inscription ?
I think it’s a matter of personal preference. Some people may not find value in it but I wanted a car that can handle very well since I didn’t go for the R-design. My wife found the R-design, w/ the 19” wheels, a bit firmer than she likes.
In hindsight, and even though I prefer the R-design, I am very happy that I was “pushed” toward getting the Inscription because
1. I had a choice with regards to the interior color
2. I had a choice with regards to wood trim
3. The 4C allows for more flexibility with regards to the ride feel.

I dare say that the 4C provides a more refined ride without sacrificing handling and when the car is in Polestar Engineered mode, it is quite firm like the R-design is but at least I have a choice.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts