SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my '93 wagon in today for her annual safety inspection and threw in an oil change. Figured I would ask them to take a look at her while she was lifted as well to see what work might need to be done to keep her in tip top shape. Well, I opened Pandora's box. Turns out my steering rack needs replacing, I need to replace a head lamp and tail lamp assembly, the emergency brake was shot, and there is something wrong with the rear end that even the mechanic couldn't figure out. The rear end is making noise, but neither they nor I could put a finger on it, so they are replacing some worn bushings, and we will just have start fixing things until the noise goes away. So, my safety inspection and oil change is now worth $1500, estimated of course.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Took my '93 wagon in today for her annual safety inspection and threw in an oil change. Figured I would ask them to take a look at her while she was lifted as well to see what work might need to be done to keep her in tip top shape. Well, I opened Pandora's box. Turns out my steering rack needs replacing, I need to replace a head lamp and tail lamp assembly, the emergency brake was shot, and there is something wrong with the rear end that even the mechanic couldn't figure out. The rear end is making noise, but neither they nor I could put a finger on it, so they are replacing some worn bushings, and we will just have start fixing things until the noise goes away. So, my safety inspection and oil change is now worth $1500, estimated of course.
$1,500-$2,000 - what's money when you can drive a Classic Volvo and be the envy of those Herndon rice rocketeers.

My view is once the work is done it adds another 20 years and 200,000 miles to life - the car's and yours.

Keep 'em rolling!

George Dill

·
Registered
130 Posts
Brakes wear out. Might even be the source of the rear-end noise.

What was the damage to the headlamp?

When you are aiming for keeping a 20-year old car in tip-top-shape, it is highly likely that you'll need to spend two grand some years, as bits wear out. A new car (of questionable quality and character compared to a RWD brick) in tip-top-shape costs at least two grand a year IF everything goes perfect.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't mind spending the cash, its not my first 240. I spent nearly $4000 and 3 years getting everything up to par on my previous '92 5-speed wagon, which I bought for $1900. And that car was at 316,000 miles before I sold her and at her 300,000 service my mechanic was like "your car is in amazing mechanical condition." I was more remarking on how owning an older car yields such lovely surprises sometimes.

As for the headlight the glue holding the lense on crapped out. They are going to try and reglue it to save me some $$$

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
130 Posts
Understood, Steve. Sounds like you do take good care of your 240. I had an inappropriate "knee jerk" reaction from all too often listening to folks contemplate ditching their RWD brick because they got a bill bigger than $600.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The lens can easily be reattached...I've always used clear silicone. On my 740, I switched the o.e. plastic lenses for glass e-code lenses. Even though the glass is much heavier, they have held perfectly for 5 years now.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Does just switching to e-code lenses improve headlight beams? If there is, maybe it's better than the cost of the full e-code mod.

·
Registered
568 Posts
John, at the time I was doing this work (2006-07) there were no sources readily accessible to me for 90+ no fog light 740's for the e-codes. I had a few frustrating calls to the Netherlands and emailed photos of dimensions etc. to get a complete set of genuine e-codes. I struck out. At that point, I had ecodes on my 245 and 84 760. The closest I could get were the glass lenses from FCP. There is no question imo, that they focus the light better than the DOT version. I'm no expert on bulbs, but the ecodes are made for an H4 bulb. The stock US lamps use a 9004. One is an axial filament and the other is a linear? I would have to consult Daniel Stern's site to refrsh my memory BUT by converting to 9007 bulbs, I ended up with filaments oriented the same as H4's. Is the result better than DOT? Yes but not as good as complete ecodes. I believe there may be some difference in the design of the reflectors. Also, and perhaps more importantly, the H4 seems to be a better bulb.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Thanks Swifty (if you don't mind me being familiar :p ). Household funds are at a premium right now, so if just a lens will help, then I'm for it. BTW, I'm running SilverStars, which are a bit better than regular bulbs. I have the Daniel Stern site bookmarked, so guess I'll check to see what I may be able to do to improve the headlights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts