SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took an intersection a little fast today to beat the light. I was making a left and all the sudden under power the car makes this loud whining noise from the front end. :facepalm: Great. It lasted for a little while but only when under power. I tryed to duplicate it when making a right hand turn but nothing. Im sure its something serious, but just looking to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
A whine kind of indicates something like your power steering pump or something else that spins. Was it more of a groan? No problems with power while it is happening? Are you under boost when it does?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
depends on the pitch but i would immediately suspect power steering as well... but only under power makes me think something else, is it under only at or above a certain rpm range?

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
Reminds me of a pre YM04 V70, had it also when on roundabouts. Tracked it down to the a/c system, when switching off no whining and as soon a/c on back whining. There was a tech note to add some kind of expansion spring to the a/c system and we did, sound was gone. Normally all R should have this spring as it was added into the production line then. Maybe yours gone bad?!?!
Check if it's still whining with the a/c off.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
If it's an 04, check the power steering fluid. The reservoirs tend to leak on 04s. It could be groaning because when turning left, it could be depriving the nozzle on the bottom of fluid (I'm pretty sure it's on the right hand side). Turning right would cause all the fluid to go to the left.

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
only whine with left, NOT with right turn ... no ps fluid influence.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
When my ps level was low my car made a whining noise when turning left only, definitely check your fluid level and top up as needed. I have a slow leak (low level every 6-12 months) so it doesn't bother me too much.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If it's an 04, check the power steering fluid. The reservoirs tend to leak on 04s. It could be groaning because when turning left, it could be depriving the nozzle on the bottom of fluid (I'm pretty sure it's on the right hand side). Turning right would cause all the fluid to go to the left.
Flip your reply around and you might have the answer.

When sitting in the drivers seat, the suction hose is on the LHS of the reservior (on my 04)
You are right, if the power steering fluid is low and you take a LH turn, all the fluid moves to the right.
It doesn't take long for the pump to be starved and then it squeals like a pig.

That's probabaly the whine you're hearing.
The groaning noise is where the fluid is low and/or foamy.

As a minimum (like everyone said) check your fluid level.
Replacing the reservoir & suction hose and fluid is straightforward job there's even a FCP video on this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts