SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Volvo friends here’s one for you. I’m getting a very loud vibration from down low at about 2900 rpm. It goes away as I rev higher or lower. It’s pretty loud from inside the cabin and you can definitely feel it via vibrations.

If I put it in park and rev, smooth as silk all the way through the range.

At first I thought it was coming from rear right, but now I’m not sure if it’s right front...

It’s very pronounced. It’s not like it comes on gradually with a crescendo at 2900. It’s not there and then boom, it’s there. For that reason alone I’m thinking it’s probably not a wheel bearing.

I’m inclined to think that it’s not exhaust related just because the vibrations are very noticeable.

Thoughts?

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
If it's related to engine RPM under load I'd suspect engine mounts, heat shields, exhaust hangers, or something is loose and resonating against the body creating the perfect brown note.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's related to engine RPM under load I'd suspect engine mounts, heat shields, exhaust hangers, or something is loose and resonating against the body creating the perfect brown note.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk
Hmmmm, engine mount, ehe? You may be on to something there. I did the timing belt, crank seal, oil pump seal late last year after purchasing and while I was in there I noticed that both bolts for the lower RHS mount were missing (the one just below the harmonic balancer). I wonder if those were taken out as a really dumb way of eliminating a vibration.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If it's an engine vibration, it should vibrate while car not rolling (in P).

Does the vibration correlate strongly with engine RPMs (in different gears)? Or does it correlate with vehicle speed (mph, kmph)??

If it's speed related, probably a wheel out of balance. Often, road crud builds up on rim backside during winter driving, throwing wheel out of balance.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's an engine vibration, it should vibrate while car not rolling (in P).

Does the vibration correlate strongly with engine RPMs (in different gears)? Or does it correlate with vehicle speed (mph, kmph)??

If it's speed related, probably a wheel out of balance. Often, road crud builds up on rim backside during winter driving, throwing wheel out of balance.
It correlated with RPM. I can replicate at different speeds if I cross 2900 rpm.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It correlated with RPM. I can replicate at different speeds if I cross 2900 rpm.

Check wheel bearings, also your cv axle might be cracked or bent, I've had the cv axle issue where you only get vibration while accelerating.

Other than that, make sure engine mounts are good, the side one is easiest to check.

Torque mounts sometimes will transmit some vibration under acceleration, so make sure also that your cross engine bar is solid and not able to be moved with the hand. If it is, you need new strut braces or torque mounts - check rubber bushings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar issue, but closer to 2500rpm iirc. I replaced the engine torque mounts and strut bar mounts, it got better but not entirely gone. I'd wager it's your engine mounts.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
If you have over 120K miles it's probably the lower front (right side) mount.
When they totally fail, the engine winds up laying on the subframe.
If you open the hood you can actually see the engine slightly tilted down on the right side

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank guys. I’m going to start by replacing the rest of the mounts as they are no doubt due anyway (lower front and rear plus lower right).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts