SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn my steering wheel, I get a loud squeal that is quite obnoxious. I was told to add steering fluid and I did that, and that did nothing.
any advice? thanks!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
When I turn my steering wheel, I get a loud squeal that is quite obnoxious. I was told to add steering fluid and I did that, and that did nothing.
any advice? thanks!
Were you low on power steering fluid? empty? Is it to just one side, or both?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really. I could see it when I opened the cap. I filled it to the top and for the last week it's still been squeaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
How old is your alternator belt? Could be slipping a little when the alt is under load.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure. I did just have my alternator replaced

·
Registered
259 Posts
mine also squeals when i turn the steering wheel. it's not loud, and i only hear it when moving the car very slowly, but it's been there for at least three years, and apparently, i'm the only one hearing it (took it to two dealerships, and nobody hears anything!).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
mine also squeals when i turn the steering wheel. it's not loud, and i only hear it when moving the car very slowly, but it's been there for at least three years, and apparently, i'm the only one hearing it (took it to two dealerships, and nobody hears anything!).
Mine is a super loud squeal. I'll leave the parking lot and have all the people looking at me..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anyone have any ideas? quite obnoxious

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Did you do as Gizmo suggested?
Where is the squeal from? Power steering pump or belt (from added electrical load). Replace offending item.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you do as Gizmo suggested?
Where is the squeal from? Power steering pump or belt (from added electrical load). Replace offending item.
I just got my alternator replaced 2 weeks ago so I don't believe its the belt? unless they don't replace the belt too. I checked the steering fluid and added some and still the squeak.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I heard a squealing on mine too, just yesterday. My alt belt is quite old and needs replacement soon but I haven't heard it before. It was really annoying. I don't know exactly if it is audible from outside but I could hear it well from the inside with radio off. Seemed to originate from passenger side of engine compartment. I did not hear it today, though. I do get that crackling still - also from passenger side and that is still present after I don't know how many months. Grinds my gears, hopefully not cars.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I heard a squealing on mine too, just yesterday. My alt belt is quite old and needs replacement soon but I haven't heard it before. It was really annoying. I don't know exactly if it is audible from outside but I could hear it well from the inside with radio off. Seemed to originate from passenger side of engine compartment. I did not hear it today, though. I do get that crackling still - also from passenger side and that is still present after I don't know how many months. Grinds my gears, hopefully not cars.
that sounds identical to mine

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Since your squeal is easily repeatable how about slipping the belt off & giving it a try?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts