SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just yesterday I noticed my car is loud and I mean really loud at highway speed. This is a new problem that I noticed after the car sat for 3 days. I need new tires but the sound seems to be localized to drivers front and gets louder with increased speed. It's definitely a "rotational" sound and I think it may be the front wheel bearing. How do I diagnose a bad bearing? Is this something I can do myself? Haven't seen a guide for the front bearings just the rear.

Thanks y'all

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I've been told it'll make a loud grinding noise.

You can jack the car up and hold the spring while you turn the tire. It should be smooth. If it feels rough or like it catches, it's probably a bearing. Compare the left to the right. You can even remove the tire and brakes to make sure nothing else would make it catch.

I believe there are other methods though.

·
Registered
257 Posts
One of my bearings went bad a while back (can't remember if it was front or rear now). It made a rotational noise like you're describing. It could be heard at almost any speed, but it was more prominent at high speeds. It wasn't incredibly loud though. I'm not sure how safe it is, but I drove on mine for at least a few weeks before getting it replaced.

As far as DIY, I don't know. I had a shop do mine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It could sound like an exhaust sound too. First time hearing it I thought there was something wrong with mine. I heard mine at higher speed and it's a constant noise. Try to turn left or right while you are driving and see if the noise changes.

As for how long you can drive on it? I drove for about a month before replacing mine.
This is probably the best video if you plan on doing the DIY route. Make sure to follow it step by step. I didn't watch it throughly and ended up wasting hours. If you get stuck on something, check his video again. You'll need a shop press to get the old bearing out and put the new one in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbhgviE8HQ

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could sound like an exhaust sound too. First time hearing it I thought there was something wrong with mine. I heard mine at higher speed and it's a constant noise. Try to turn left or right while you are driving and see if the noise changes.

As for how long you can drive on it? I drove for about a month before replacing mine.
This is probably the best video if you plan on doing the DIY route. Make sure to follow it step by step. I didn't watch it throughly and ended up wasting hours. If you get stuck on something, check his video again. You'll need a shop press to get the old bearing out and put the new one in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbhgviE8HQ
Thanks for this. It sounds like a helicopter or something at highway speed. I'm trying to figure out if it's something like a bent rim or the actual hub/bearing

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
A wheel bearing is quite easy to diagnose. It will make a humming or rumbling noise. Take both a left & right sweeping turn (think on/off ramp). Loading the bearing will increase the noise while unloading it will reduce or eliminate it completely.

A bad drivers side will stay noisy on right hand turns & quiet down on left hand turns. A bad bearing can go a LONG time (years even) so no worries. Spinning the wheel, feeling for play, etc. are all very unreliable. Your ears behind the wheel are by far the best tool.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A wheel bearing is quite easy to diagnose. It will make a humming or rumbling noise. Take both a left & right sweeping turn (think on/off ramp). Loading the bearing will increase the noise while unloading it will reduce or eliminate it completely.

A bad drivers side will stay noisy on right hand turns & quiet down on left hand turns. A bad bearing can go a LONG time (years even) so no worries. Spinning the wheel, feeling for play, etc. are all very unreliable. Your ears behind the wheel are by far the best tool.
I think it's my bearing based on this. It sounds like I've got 33" mud tires on my s40 going down the highway. Is this a DIY job pczeilon? Havent looked it up yet

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Watch the YouTube van13330gg posted. The only hitch to DIY is you'll need a press or go nuts like the video. :) You can always pull the knuckle & then take it to a shop to save some money.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had both of my rear bearings replaced. At first it sounded like an exhaust issue. Eventually it was like a tiny lawnmower chasing me.

·
Registered
156 Posts

This exactly.

I've gone through 3 bearings already... :(

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What all do I need?

Pretty sure it's the hub.

I'm going to pull the spindle and take it to my indie to have the new bearing pressed in. If anyone has the part numbers that would be awesome! Just a few questions:

1) Does the bearing lock brace (P/N 31387127) need to be replaced with the hub?
2) Is the Genuine Volvo hub made by TIMKEN? I'm seeing P/Ns 31262950 or 31340604?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
31340604 is correct. If you order the factory kit you get the axle bolt & water shield included. Not sure on 2007 but the early cars had no shield, it should help your bearing last longer. You'll get two or 3 in the box, only one will fit your specific axle. May want a ball joint nut, tie rod nut, & strut pinch bolt/nut. Up to you.

Generally no need for brace.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You will need a special tool to press it in, you cant do just press on the hub as it will damage the bearing.

OEM tool provides a spacer between the back of the hub and the bearing surface so as you are pounding on the hub you dont damage the bearing itself.

My father and I were able to come up with a set of washers that we used in 3 points to press the bearing in but it was a huge PITA.

I would suggest to look out for the OEM tool if you can.

Otherwise does anyone have p/n for that tool?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
You will need a special tool to press it in, you cant do just press on the hub as it will damage the bearing.

OEM tool provides a spacer between the back of the hub and the bearing surface so as you are pounding on the hub you dont damage the bearing itself.

My father and I were able to come up with a set of washers that we used in 3 points to press the bearing in but it was a huge PITA.

I would suggest to look out for the OEM tool if you can.

Otherwise does anyone have p/n for that tool?
Volvo has a new hydraulic tool that does the bearing right on the car.
Old Press tool number is 999 7090 & includes multiple pieces.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts