SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Loud CLUNK now no AWD

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  frosho 
#1 ·
Driving down a strait section of highway yesterday going about 40mph and went over a bump with maybe 20% throttle applied and hear a loud CLUNK.* Thought I ran something over and looked around for road debris…. Nothing.* Well now this morning it was raining and I clearly do not have AWD anymore.* Wheel spin and wheel hop in addition to torque steer being much more apparent.* I even get a TC triangle light on the dash.* I’m 90% sure I stripped the angle gear collar just like the S60R guys do often.* *The clunk sound came from right where the angle gear is located.

Has anyone else with an AWD S40/V50 stripped the angle gear collar?*

#2 · (Edited)
Quite a lot of views and no comment... If in the 06+ Haldex this is not common then I will get worried. I know there are several people on there with much more power than I am currently running on the stock turbo. Nobody else has sheered the angle gear sleve?

I can say the AWD really is impressive in these cars. I really didnt appriciate how much and how often power was being sent to the rear. I wonder how the FWD K16 guys feel with all that torque steer.

I was hoping to hear that this is a common failure in the S40/V50 in addition to the R's since im getting closer to R power levels.

#4 ·
i havent heard of it happening-- but i also dont know much about the haldex. some times i wondered if mine even worked, but not being able to break the tires loose and still handling really well in the snow - i think mine is working.
Were you the one who disabled the haldex just recently by pulling a fuse?

#5 ·
A few weeks ago I pulled the fuse for the dstc.... the ABS pump fuse. Reinstalled a couple days later. AWD was fine then. Its been a few weeks and I just pased 100k miles. Im thinking the splines were weak already and my AWD sliding fun a few weeks ago without DSTC backing off the power probably didnt help. From further research I have found that the collar in the 06 V50 is the same as the 06 S60R so.... this is likely what happened. I will report back once I confirm from under the car tonight.

@brown. If your AWD was not functioning on even slightly wet pavement you would notice FWD wheelspin.

#6 ·
cool. i wasnt insinuating that pulling the fuse caused it ... but what i was wondering was if you were the one... and if you were, then i think you'd have decent chance diagnosing the issue. I am curious though if you really trashed the angle gear. hope its not a hugely costly repair if thats indeed what happened.
I got my wheels to spin the other day but yeah its rare- and i was trying to spin them on a spot where i can easily break the rear of my miata loose when its wet.

#7 ·
Thanks,

Well I did take a look under the car. The drive shaft does not spin free so the angle gear collar is not stripped (that is the test the R guys use). However, there is a lot of slack in the drive line so the angle gear has some lash to it (unrelated to my issue). What I did find is that the Haldex rear diff is a complete mess. It appears that some road debris may have damaged the casing/impacted the ECU! Oil everywhere! Looks like it ran dry. I guess I will be buying a new/used unit. I'm actually surprised I couldn't hear anything coming from the haldex with no oil in the snout. I also found that the front drivers strut is leaking badly. So that explains the wheel hop LOL. I just didnt notice how bad the strut was until the AWD stopped transfering torque from the bouncy wheel :) I guess the coilovers will go on sooner rather than later.

#8 ·
got any pictures of it? id like to see what you mean.

#9 ·
I may try to R&R the haldex this weekend if I can find a spare at the LKQ yard near me. Ill take pics of it once out. Right now there is just oil on everything. Looks like sonething popped up and hit the controller module. Shouldn't it have stored a code due to low oil pressure?

Does anyone know what years are compatible? Also are the AT and MT haldex units interchangeable?

#10 ·
Bump!

@quadcamsix, can you share any further findings or results? I'm facing an issue that sounds very similar. Heard a loud bang and lost awd (which I discovered on a recent rainy day). I checked the prop shaft and it does not spin freely, so it seems to be the same problem as yours.

If anyone else can provide some input, that'd be super helpful.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.