SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would post here while waiting for the tow truck.

Situation: Driving along at a leisurely pace and suddenly a loud grinding noise coming from between the seats. I shut off the engine and put it in neutral and coasted to a stop (no change to the noise when coasting). Best I can describe is it sounded like I was dragging the exhaust but is was a rotating noise. Visual underside inspection is all good.

My initial thought is the driveshaft support bearing, but surprised it would go so suddenly.

Any thoughts much appreciated. Would also help me kill the time while I'm waiting :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Your suspicion of driveshaft sound right. I don't think the support bearing itself would fail that quickly. Perhaps the support rubber has broken and allowed the driveshaft to rub the tunnel wall.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On further inspection it looks like the dust cover was put on the diff side, the shop manual shows it on the transmission side. Basically the carrier cut through it over the cause of the past 4500 miles (since to PO built it). So I need a new dust cover, there also seems to be some play in the bearing so may be good to change that while I'm in there.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Yep, it was the bearing carrier...sort of. Looks like the outside rim of the metal dust shield was sheared allowing the bearing to move forward and out of the carrier. The bearing has about 2 mm fore and aft play on the shaft, is this normal?

Any ideas what would have caused the lip to shear?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kdlxm81rfmnwxc/IMG_1566.JPG?dl=0
Gack - the dust cover is the least of your problems. That bearing should be pressed into the carrier, i.e. the thing with the two studs that go through the rubber grommets. The whole carrier slid off the bearing, moving forward and flopping around as the driveshaft turned.

Dismantle the driveshaft, replace the bearing and make sure it's pressed into that carrier straight, true and tight. Perhaps the carrier is cracked?

[edit] Come to think of it, there are two different center bearings depending on year and whether it's a rubber-donut or steel carrier (like yours has). The OD's are different, but the ID's are the same. If someone put the wrong bearing on the driveshaft and just slapped it all together, that'll do it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correct, bearing slide forward out of the carrier, cut the rim off the dust cover and when that was gone the whole thing popped out. The big retaining nut was also loose and was missing the split washer. A real cluster. I removed the driveshaft this morning and the carrier is out of round. New carrier, dust cover and bearing on order from VP, should be about a week as the dust cover needs to come from Sweden. Going to replace the rear U-Joint while I'm at it. I'm thankful this happened close to home.

·
Registered
174 Posts
While you've got it out of the car, I had my 'shaft balanced, re u-jointed and painted for about $150 last year all in.

Glad nothing worse happened.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts