SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you with the BSR PPC have you noticed a significant increase in the exhaust pops when it is installed? I know that faulty MAFs have been replaced in some cases where there was excessive exhaust pops, does anyone know the diagnostic process for isolating the MAF?<p>The 64K question is: if the pops mainly occur when the PPC is installed, how do you get the dealer to replace the MAF without the extra boost etc also showing during the diagnosis? If flashed back to stock the pops mostly go away. (All hypothetically, of course)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Re: Lotta Poppin' with BSR PPC (vizwiz)

I didn't have this problem with the BSR PPC program. Have you downloaded the latest version from BSR?<br> I have only a 3" Dp right now and get some pop but not excessive. When I had my Svenske 2 resinator exhaust on I'd get it all the time to the point is was almost annoying.<p> Don't remember it with the PPC though.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>vizwiz</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... does anyone know the diagnostic process for isolating the MAF?<br></TD></TR></TABLE><br>Assuming you have the latest code from BSR...<p>With an OBD-II tool and a volt meter you might be able to do it. <p>You'd need to know what voltage ranges are normal for the MAF to output. VADIS says something like this:<br>"With the ignition on and mass air flow (MAF) sensor connector connected the voltage at mass air flow (MAF) sensor #2 should be approximately Ubat, mass air flow (MAF) sensor #3 should be ground and mass air flow (MAF) sensor #5 should be approximately 1 volt."<br>Also says: "Ignition ON, U=1V, idle U=1.7, and VU increases with increasing air mass"<p>Looking at the connector on the wiring harness for the MAF with the clip on top, the pins are numbered like this: 5,4,3,2,1<p>Using this info from VADIS will probably only tell you the MAF is not totally dead (but in such a case you'd likely have CEL on). Finding out if it's the cause of your poppin' might take more digging.<p>Using OBD-2 on a PC you might be able to capture the probelm but it would take some work and time to record and analyse data from various sensors such as MAF, shot-term/long-term fuel trim, IAT, O2, timing advance, etc. Oh, you need one more thing: You need to know how the heck to interperet all of that info!<p>If you need a nice cheap OBD-2 tool that works with your 2004 I'm selling mine becuase it doesn't work with my 2006 R (it's the one from <A HREF="http://www.obd-2.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.obd-2.com</A>) IM me if interested.<p>LTA<br>

·
Registered
18,762 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>vizwiz</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those of you with the BSR PPC have you noticed a significant increase in the exhaust pops when it is installed? </TD></TR></TABLE><p>On the BSR car with Jetex exhaust I get to drive regularly, there is actually less pops than with my car with stock ecu, svenske DP and 3" exhaust. <p>That tells me it is more a function of DP/exhaust than the tune.<p>It makes sense though, a split exhaust will seperate the fuel, making for two quieter pops when they hit the air, versus a 3" exhaust that will keep fuel together for one big pop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts