SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

My 2004 V70R got flooded in our garage in NYC during Sandy. The water came up from the storm drain and there ended up over 2 feet of standing water in the garage. I should have insisted they park in on the first floor rather than in the basement. But I didn't. While sad this is not a tragedy compared to how so many have sustained losses here in NYC/NJ and on the shore.

The insurance company has totalled it -- and offered $12,000.

We just did $8K of repairs to the car (new accelerometer) (new propeller shaft, mufflers, shocks) and it is has 89K miles on it.

What is best place/online or other sources to give adjuster NY/NJ/CT market values for this car.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Steven

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
What a ****ty first post. Sorry for the bad luck. I'm sure one of the many NY/NJ forum members might chime in.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Sorry to hear. You could simply give the insurance replacement value of the car, meaning, try to find at least 3 other VR within your original spec and those prices; write offs from insurance is supposed to be ballpark of replacement value, not estimated value of car based on what it is and how old. Could ask them to locate one for you, that sometimes works.

When my Saturn Vue Redline (2005) was totalled in 2010, they gave me a check and with that check I was able to find another one and not spend more - in your case, you may have put 8k in maintenance cost, but that doesn't change the overall value, just resell value.

GL.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Actually the Best way to deal with them is to hire an appraiser. Usually run's around 230-250. You can also have them negotiate for you. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car.
If they dont budge and you had the space/inclination buy the car back real cheap and part it out?

·
Registered
691 Posts
When you say your garage do you mean yours or a garage where you pay a monthly fee? I would go talk to them and have their insurance pay the rest...

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
sorry to hear about the loss. though it's only a material thing, it does still suck and probably creates headaches finding something new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you say your garage do you mean yours or a garage where you pay a monthly fee? I would go talk to them and have their insurance pay the rest...
Good idea re getting our garage to chip in as we do pay them a monthly fee and they were partly responsible for this.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Another lost R. :( Sorry hear. Hope you get it all straightened out to your favor.

·
Registered
196 Posts
New York has very specific rules for Total Loss Insurance. They will offer, based off data, a retail market value for the vehicle. They will also take into consideration the repairs you had completed on the vehicle. Provide them with the receipts so they know how much was spent on repairs.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Not sure how it works in NY, but here in PA you can provide listings for similar vehicles in the surrounding area to use as comps. They always try and low-ball you at the start, so keep at it and keep demanding more. If you have evidence to support your number, you should get it. The companies and adjusters are totally swamped right now, so that should work in your favor as they just want to close cases and move on instead of battling someone for another $1-2K. Sorry, and good luck!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Pictures of the damage?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
After reading about all the lost R's does anyone use Hagerty Insurance ? I am about to change over. With them I can pick the price I want to cover the car for. I tried to get an additional waver with state farm but they would not bud for an additional 5k in coverage over book.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Traveler's Insurance just added $2K to the total loss value to $13,189 taking into account new mileage of 76K and the $8K of repairs. Where can i get local sale listings to get this up to $15K if that is justifiable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
When I flooded my R, my insurance company considered the cost of recent repairs I made to the car. I was able to get an extra 1200 by providing the recete for the tires I purchased before I flooded my car. Depending, on the appraisal of the insurance company you may be able to save it. I am still driving my car without any problems and as long as it was not flooded with salt water their is a chance because all the modules in the floor boards are sealed pretty well. Also, depends how high the water went, mine did not go much above the wheel but with yours, it may be different. However, I am sorry, I know how terrible it feels to total a perfectly good car by leaving it in a parking space.

·
Registered
14,147 Posts
Traveler's Insurance just added $2K to the total loss value to $13,189 taking into account new mileage of 76K and the $8K of repairs. Where can i get local sale listings to get this up to $15K if that is justifiable.
Autotrader, cars.com, craigs would probably be your best bets for listings.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I actually went to Volvo of Princeton and Edison to get my vehicle appraised. Just go to a local dealer and ask them if they were to sell this car what would be their asking price and the justifications for that price. They can give you some documents regarding why they would sell it at that price and you can show this to your insurance company to get the price up. The problem with the R is that there are not many of them around. I was given a 15 mile radius by my insurance company and there were none in my immediate area - That is why I had to use the dealer. Again, I feel for you but I remember the statement my mom said to me when I told her the car I just bought was gone - You totaled a car and no one was hurt, that all I care about. So at least you can walk away without any serious injuries or causing harm to someone else

·
Registered
67 Posts
If they dont budge and you had the space/inclination buy the car back real cheap and part it out?
**Sees vultures flying over**

I am 100% leaning on that side.. what could a wreck like this be worth, 1-2k ? There was 2 feet of water? My guess is that only the lower submersible stuff if done; carpets/Seats/airbags are complete loss, yes but the rest is sealed gearbox and sealed electronics... Depending on the severity of the flood, a lot of parts COULD still be good...It is not like the car have been dipped into a pool for one year... I don't see why a shock absorber, by example, would be scrapped by water, as a car is kind of made so you can use it under the rain... and the components can withstand a considerable amount of water being poured at them.

The bumpers/hood/fenders/ are definitely reusable and this only, could pay back the fee for acquiring the car. The rest is wrenching power...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You can bake mist of the modules back to life and get replacement pads for the seats. Not sure about airbags. That's a serious safety issue but you might find a good used set of seats that would work fine. And the Carpet, might be time for a new look. Good luck man.

I'd rather see you fix it than part it out. But im sentimental. I couldn't imagine losing my caR. But I do remember walking away from my Chevelle. A small part of me died that day(the part that enjoyed driving), back to life now with my R.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 19 of 19 Posts