SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tl;dr once the engine hits 4k under load it just hovers and losses power. I can hear gas popping in the exhaust.

Codes P0089 and P0299

New boost pressure sensor 5k miles back
New spark plugs 4k miles ago
New fuel pump this week
New fuel pump control module this week x2
New fuel pressure sensor this week
New coil packs 3k miles ago

So about a week ago i went to start it in the morning, and it would crank but not start. It would catch for a few hits and then keep missing. Replaced the fuel pump control module as it was literally full of road salt and i had no fuel at the rail. Pop the new one (used) in, clear codes, and it's "fixed" for about 20 miles. Then it does it again and stalls out. It had no fuel pressure at the rail. If the key was left on for a few minutes you'd get enough gas to go 1/4 mile. Took it to a shop who replaced the fuel pump and they said it ran good and was holding pressure. Drove it home with no issues, all was good.

The next day it would start but run awful and stall, so i got a second fuel pump control module (new). She was running okay but acting funny. My mistake was when i got the car back (fuel pump) i was told "hey my guys filled it up but the gas gauge isn't working, just stays on empty". So i drove it while acting weird, starting dying, would come back for a mile, die, etc. Nursed it to a pump and sure enough it was empty. Filled her up and she drove home perfectly and the gas gauge was fine, the shop guys just didn't fill it but had enough to make it home. So the next day once again it would start but act awful. I could hear gas popping in the exhaust and smell it really bad. The fuel pressure at the rail was all okay until loaded, it dropped off. So i got a new fuel pressure sensor, cleared all codes. Now it smells fine, still popping at 4k and totally losing power. After probably a dozen accelerations, at 4k on the dot it just pops and loses power. Once in a while it'll catch and kick to 4200 then quit again. Under that it's totally normal. I've had p0089 through this whole thing after clearing it several times, and p0299 before the fuel pump replacement and again now. I'm totally stumped. Any ideas?

·
Registered
'05 V70 2.5T M56 FWD Ruby Red (454-46)
20 Posts
So tl;dr once the engine hits 4k under load it just hovers and losses power. I can hear gas popping in the exhaust.

Codes P0089 and P0299

New boost pressure sensor 5k miles back
New spark plugs 4k miles ago
New fuel pump this week
New fuel pump control module this week x2
New fuel pressure sensor this week
New coil packs 3k miles ago

So about a week ago i went to start it in the morning, and it would crank but not start. It would catch for a few hits and then keep missing. Replaced the fuel pump control module as it was literally full of road salt and i had no fuel at the rail. Pop the new one (used) in, clear codes, and it's "fixed" for about 20 miles. Then it does it again and stalls out. It had no fuel pressure at the rail. If the key was left on for a few minutes you'd get enough gas to go 1/4 mile. Took it to a shop who replaced the fuel pump and they said it ran good and was holding pressure. Drove it home with no issues, all was good.

The next day it would start but run awful and stall, so i got a second fuel pump control module (new). She was running okay but acting funny. My mistake was when i got the car back (fuel pump) i was told "hey my guys filled it up but the gas gauge isn't working, just stays on empty". So i drove it while acting weird, starting dying, would come back for a mile, die, etc. Nursed it to a pump and sure enough it was empty. Filled her up and she drove home perfectly and the gas gauge was fine, the shop guys just didn't fill it but had enough to make it home. So the next day once again it would start but act awful. I could hear gas popping in the exhaust and smell it really bad. The fuel pressure at the rail was all okay until loaded, it dropped off. So i got a new fuel pressure sensor, cleared all codes. Now it smells fine, still popping at 4k and totally losing power. After probably a dozen accelerations, at 4k on the dot it just pops and loses power. Once in a while it'll catch and kick to 4200 then quit again. Under that it's totally normal. I've had p0089 through this whole thing after clearing it several times, and p0299 before the fuel pump replacement and again now. I'm totally stumped. Any ideas?
1. Check connections to coils

What about overboost?

Wysłane z mojego SM-G950F przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All better, mostly.

When it was run dry with the new fuel pump, the screen on the pump became covered with junk from the bottom of the 15 year old tank. I cleaned her off and it ran like a dream again. After a while i can feel it clogging again, so i'm going to get the tank cleaned, then the pump filter cleaned again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts