SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day, coolant low light came on. Filled coolant, and after two days of car being stationary, no coolant missing. After driving about 10 miles coolant reservoir half empty. What could be the cause of this? Oil doesn't smell like coolant, and no oil cream in oil fill hole. Haven't detected any leaks. Will raise up car on weekend and check. Thx

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
So the other day, coolant low light came on. Filled coolant, and after two days of car being stationary, no coolant missing. After driving about 10 miles coolant reservoir half empty. What could be the cause of this? Oil doesn't smell like coolant, and no oil cream in oil fill hole. Haven't detected any leaks. Will raise up car on weekend and check. Thx
maybe its not going into the engine....maybe it is going into the transmission.:eek:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
How would I go about to find out if it is?
Ok. I've got an intermittent radiator leak, check the bottom of your radiator for signs of leaking, if there's nothing report back with anything else you find.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Maybe have your indy/dealer pressurize the coolant system and look for a 'more fasterly' slow leak. Not sure how you diagnose a coolant leak into the tranny :confused:

Not that it helps much but I have the same issue with the 960. Maybe I should take my own advice . . .

Chuck

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
If it isn't leaking anywhere, it's being consumed by the engine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've seen slow leaks onto exhust manifolds drain coolant pretty quick and not throw off enough smoke to actually be noticable. Try warming the car up, popping the hood with the car idling and look for any coolant vapor rising off the engine.

·
Registered
635 Posts
How would I go about to find out if it is?
If there were a leak in the trans cooler, in theory you'd have mixtures on the radiator as well as in the transmission. Hold a paper towel over your exhaust pipe when it's running and see if it gets wet. If so, there is your coolant leak. Also, check your carpet and see if it's wet. Are you smelling syrup when the heater is on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took her to the dealer today..... Blown head gasket!!! Only has 75k miles and is dealer maintained! WTF? Is this normal? First Volvo after 20+ beemers with no major issues and then this! Man, I love this car, but 2500€ is no small change. Damn. FML!

·
Registered
430 Posts
You mentioned in another post that it might have a tune and that the coolant was low when you bought it. Maybe the seller knew about the head gasket.... Sorry for your pain! Hopefully this thread will save someone from a similarly bad experience.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Took her to the dealer today..... Blown head gasket!!! Only has 75k miles and is dealer maintained! WTF? Is this normal? First Volvo after 20+ beemers with no major issues and then this! Man, I love this car, but 2500€ is no small change. Damn. FML!
just wait until they pull the head & tell you its really a cracked block.............

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Can't complain when you take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I now have a different car but it was spraying coolant from the head gasket on to the exhaust manifold and I thought I would try a shoddy head gasket repair formula and it worked, over three months and the leak has not reopened. Now, I really hate my current car so I didn't car if it killed the engine so I would still say use this stuff with caution and if it is a cracked sleeve it may not work as the pressure may be extremely high causing the sealant to blow out....not sure really.

I used this stuff-

My previous work place had this stuff in a turbo Leyland truck with a cracked sleeve and it went a couple of years before more sealer was needed.

At the end of the day this stuff is at best a temporary fix in my opinion.

·
Registered
785 Posts
You could use a couple of bottles of Subaru Coolant Conditioner as a milder "solution", or the actual Holts branded version of it. Subaru recommends it for stopping HG leaks in some of their models that left the factory with defective head gaskets. If it slows down the leak significantly OR stops it I would then switch to Propylene Glycol (usually sold as Environmentally Friendly) anti-freeze as I believe it is not corrosive (or not as corrosive) when in contact with internal engine parts where as Ethylene Glycol is very corrosive and will accelerate wear of the engine. If you slow down the leak significantly with the Subaru Coolant Conditioner/Holts you will likely need to do annual treatments going forward but the usage rate maybe stable enough you can live with it long term.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts