SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is a very confusing problem, I've got almost brand new inner tie rods, outer tie rods, engine mounts, torqued down ipd end links with non- nylock nuts, and I'm getting this problem where going over bumps or uneven pavement with the wheel within maybe 5-10 degrees of center leads to "hard" sounds and roughness through the steering wheel.

When I'm in a turn (more than 10 degrees or so) and hit bumps, the ride is more composed and it doesn't feel like an impact. What do you think could explain this?

The whole rest of my suspension is mostly new too (shocks, control arms under 2yrs old) and I've got solid subframe bushings.

My mind goes to the steering column... Anyone had similar experience or any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Sounds like your control arm bushings may be going. The reason it would only do it when going straight is that when you're turning, there's pressure on the bushings, thus they don't even move. But when you're going straight, the rubber can move from side to side because there's no force being applied.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ball joints? I have similar symptoms as you. I replaced all four struts/shocks and added eibachs. I had been having the symptoms before i did that work. When I got to putting on the front wheels, I grabbed the rotor at the 12 and 6 position and could get some play top to bottom.. when i grabbed the rotor at 3 and 9 position i got no movement left to right.. the play I got seemed to be from the ball joint. My symptoms include the steering wheel moving when hitting certain bumps/uneven patches of road. Car generally just doesn't feel completely stable.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For axle bolts I've got the xc90 ones and they were properly torqued with a wrench - installed 6 months ago & they def helped a lot.

Sounds like your control arm bushings may be going. The reason it would only do it when going straight is that when you're turning, there's pressure on the bushings, thus they don't even move. But when you're going straight, the rubber can move from side to side because there's no force being applied.

Hmm this seems plausible logically - but they are under 20k miles, scantech brand bushings. Could they really fail this quickly?

I do have the solid subframe bushings, do you think by possibly eliminating the mush there, it stresses the CA bushings more? Is the HD XC90 bushing good enough or would I have to go poly? I don't really want more harshness if I can avoid it.

As for ball joints, those are as new as the control arms, under 20k. I'd be really stunned if that's wearing out that quickly - these are lemforder-oem.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I purchased OEM ball joints from Tasca in Oct. 2011 and put them in shortly there after and i have a feeling mine are worn already.. it's possible.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I hadn't thought of this before, but with the car off & engine off I was lightly jiggling the wheel and I definitely felt motion before where the column connects to the silver metal piece that goes thru the grommet. Very light motion but I felt it before the steering gear started to move so I feel pretty confident it must be before that point right?

Any suggestions for what to tear apart first?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts