SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are enjoying our new to us 2013 XC70 and I realized one thing - the shifter wiggles a bit; you can twist it with your wrist.

I don't see how it's attached - is there a way to tighten it? or replace the guy?

I realize it makes me feel like it's put together poorly like an 80's cheap-o.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
thanks for that CC, ours is a 2013 and has the shifter that sort of lights up on what gear you have it in - see pic one here.
https://www.edmunds.com/volvo/xc70/2013/pictures/

see pic 1

I'm not with the car but from that I don't see the little collar at the bottom to remove. (I do think the earlier R design looks better than the lit one)
Sorry I should have known. Yes you (2013) have the new shifter and Sensus but not yet the digital cluster. Nice pics from Edmunds btw. You like the square Rdesign shifter better? Mine here:

I do think yours has this ring at the bottom....

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdTHGhvpl5I

here's a video where the guy goes to 'upgrade' to the lit knob like ours. Ours is beneath a boot, but it looks like there might just be a similar collar that does a 45* turn to release....I'll see if I can turn it through the shift boot.
But S shows on the knob to go LEFT but in reality you have to go RIGHT for S mode. Terrible mix.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good catch! That would be on the wrong side- I could never live with it. (and yes, I prefer your R design shifter). Hmmm, it does feel like there is a square trim piece at the bottom inside the shift boot, but I can't turn it by hand. I'll have to find a FSM and see how it actually comes off.
it's one of those things where I wiggled it for my wife and she said "I would have never noticed it, but now that you showed me..." Just moves slightly back and forth - like it's not tight. Not what I expect from a volvo and I expect it's not correct.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Good catch! That would be on the wrong side- I could never live with it. (and yes, I prefer your R design shifter). Hmmm, it does feel like there is a square trim piece at the bottom inside the shift boot, but I can't turn it by hand. I'll have to find a FSM and see how it actually comes off.
it's one of those things where I wiggled it for my wife and she said "I would have never noticed it, but now that you showed me..." Just moves slightly back and forth - like it's not tight. Not what I expect from a volvo and I expect it's not correct.
Go to your nearest stealer and ask them. They wont charge you. Just a quick question. They will be happy to help. Wont cost anything. No time no money. Good luck. Let us know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts