SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well...i brought the VR back from my indy at the beginning of the week after i had them look at a fluid leak from the angle gear/transmission connection that looked like the picture below.

After they put it back together twice and replaced the transmission end seals, i noticed that it's leaking again after driving it a few days. They told me that the transmission output shaft is in really bad shape and that it's moving within the connection causing the seals to fail and leak. They tried to use metal adhesive to keep it from moving, but i guess it didn't work. Seems like the only option i have at this point would be to go with the quaife lsd to fix the situation.

Has anyone had this issue before? Anyone have the quaife lsd installed in their R? Would you recommend going that route? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
That's weird. Seems more like they missed a seal... there are 2 in the angle gear sleeve. Is the sleeve in all the way? I doubt the car would drive if the diff in the M66 could move at all.

People put quaife's in all the time.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's weird. Seems more like they missed a seal... there are 2 in the angle gear sleeve. Is the sleeve in all the way? I doubt the car would drive if the diff in the M66 could move at all.

People put quaife's in all the time.
I could also be describing it incorrectly, so that may be on me. They said they have only seen this one other time, but I'll also check the paperwork. This is what i thought they mentioned as well: when they took out the angle gear and pulled the sleeve off of the transmission output shaft, it pretty much just fell off instead of having to be pulled off like usual. Sleeve is fine supposedly, but the splines on the output are worn strangely.

I may take it to another shop for a second opinion, but I've never had an issue with this shop at all so im inclined to trust them. It all seems weird though.

·
Registered
675 Posts
If the trans output shaft splines are worn, there's no fix other than to replace the transmission. It's usually the angle gear collar that wears, not the other way around, because the collar is made of a softer metal (on purpose).

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the trans output shaft splines are worn, there's no fix other than to replace the transmission. It's usually the angle gear collar that wears, not the other way around, because the collar is made of a softer metal (on purpose).
I thought that the LSD would replace the transmission output shaft that connects to the angle gear and fix the issue.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
This is incorrect. The LSD completely replaces the diff spool.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is incorrect. The LSD completely replaces the diff spool.

I know going with the LSD is a better performance option than just replacing the whole transmission, but should i be worried about putting the LSD into a transmission that has 170k on it? Or would it be better to find a used M66 with lower miles and swap that in instead without the LSD? I just can't afford to do both.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I know going with the LSD is a better performance option than just replacing the whole transmission, but should i be worried about putting the LSD into a transmission that has 170k on it? Or would it be better to find a used M66 with lower miles and swap that in instead without the LSD? I just can't afford to do both.
My M66 has 342k miles on it... Seems ok (I also have a spare with 200k on it)... You'll know when you take it apart what kind of condition it is in. Take it apart and see before ordering an LSD or replacement gearbox. You could even buy a new Volvo box for 2.5k... It's a robust getrag box. Best thing they made for the car aside from the brakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts