SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

41 - 60 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Distributor is easy. Bolt on the rotor, cap and set the wires up.

The CPS on the other cam takes a bit more work, correct?

Also, I think the 16T is from the same year engine ('01), so the water pipe stuff should be moot.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So, planning ahead for the list of things to go over before dropping this motor in.

1. Pass side mount from N motor.
2. Cam sensor/dist plates for end of cams. New seals while in there.
3. Mount for crank sensor (needs locating pin)
4. Remove VVT and blank off, or run new fuel lines over the top of engine to clear "bump" for VVT.
5. Pull oil pan to re-oring/reseal. (Easiest time to do this)
6. Intake and exhaust gaskets. (Going to run older intake/TB assy)
7. Use RN top mount. Need different arm between engine and firewall mount?
8. Timing belt/waterpump/etc
9. Early upper thermostat housing or drill existing for bung.
10. PCV system go through.

I think that covers most of the basics.

·
Registered
16,071 Posts
You'll need the RN front hydraulic engine mount bracket.

Reuse the N block thermostat top.

Use a RNC p1/p3 exhaust manifold gasket. It's 1 piece and with light trimming fits nicely and will be a great upgrade and time saver.

Arm from firewall to mount should be the same

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I thought that I read that the earlier mount bracket was needed. Maybe that was just the engine bracket for the PS frame mount.

I'll look into the EX mani gasket.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Finally lugged the RN motor home Friday

Got it unloaded and on the stand.

Looks like someone tossed and "R" cover on it, but stamping on the block matches the sticker on the timing cover.

I had some free time until the baby woke up to get a bunch of stuff stripped off the engine.

Got some cleaning to do, but everything looks OK.

Looks like I'm going to need a couple things that are missing from this motor.
I need the front motor mount bracket and the coolant hardline at the turbo.

Do the oil feed/drain lines from the '96 with the 15G fit this motor with the 16T? Haven't had a chance yet to dig those parts back out to test-fit.

I'm going to use the older intake manifold and I thing I've read that the larger PCV baffle from the later motor won't work, so I'll need to use the earlier one? Correct?

·
Registered
16,071 Posts
Finally lugged the RN motor home Friday

Got it unloaded and on the stand.

Looks like someone tossed and "R" cover on it, but stamping on the block matches the sticker on the timing cover.

I had some free time until the baby woke up to get a bunch of stuff stripped off the engine.

Got some cleaning to do, but everything looks OK.

Looks like I'm going to need a couple things that are missing from this motor.
I need the front motor mount bracket and the coolant hardline at the turbo.

Do the oil feed/drain lines from the '96 with the 15G fit this motor with the 16T? Haven't had a chance yet to dig those parts back out to test-fit.

I'm going to use the older intake manifold and I thing I've read that the larger PCV baffle from the later motor won't work, so I'll need to use the earlier one? Correct?
I believe the oil lines are the same. All Td04HL turbos use the same center cartridge. You'll need the early style pcv for the 850 since the manifold and pipes are different on the RN engines.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Is the one I need the 99-00 version?

I've also read some discussion on what to do with that coolant line off of the t-stat housing. Using the earlier intake, some folks say block it off, while others say that the coolant flow was there for a reason, so it should be reworked, even if the older intake is being used.

·
Registered
16,071 Posts
Is the one I need the 99-00 version?

I've also read some discussion on what to do with that coolant line off of the t-stat housing. Using the earlier intake, some folks say block it off, while others say that the coolant flow was there for a reason, so it should be reworked, even if the older intake is being used.
That coolant line is for heating the pcv.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
That coolant line is for heating the pcv.
Now that you mention it, I stumbled across that in my reading. Kind of a lot to take in, and was getting confused/forgetting what I'd read. :p

It would be the 99-00 engine mount bracket I need, correct?

·
Registered
15,364 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
OK, well I don't think that this coolant pipe is going to work for me.

The connection in the middle and the one hiding behind the ground strap are both flared for some sort of special fitting. I'm guessing some sort of oddity with the heater hoses because of the AWD and different chassis?

Not having much luck finding pics, but I'm guessing that this is another 99-00 item that I need? There is 1 '99 turbo S70 on the yard near me, so maybe I can get the engine mount bracket and coolant pipe that I need from that.

I also thought my 16T was going to have coolant fittings on the same side of the, but they're not...

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Huh, let's see a pic of that sticker on the t belt cover. This is getting interesting.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)

The serial # and engine family stamp on the block matches

VIN says the car is 2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD A SR (5dr Wgn AWD Turbo w/SR)

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Wow so someone swapped R engine covers into a 01 XC???? :screwy: That's the right engine code for that car. Is the t belt cover not blue? It looks black in that picture. I thought it was all blue from the previous picture which made me think either someone R engine swapped an XC or went to the trouble of swapping stickers onto the R covers which would be really next level at least for anyone who would own a 01 XC and do anything to it besides drive it till it blows up and then sell/scrap/part it (if not skip directly to step 2).

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yeah, the timing cover is black. That's a legit "R" cover, as the "R" is a separate piece that is attached to the cover. You can see the bosses sticking through on the underside. I'll just hunt down a non-R cover for it, most likely. The wife like the blue hoses, etc, but that's not going to match the rest of the stuff for her. ;)

Speaking of hoses, I've got a bunch of silicone coolant hoses for the '97 motor, but one thing we don't have is the hoses for the RN oil cooler. I'm assuming that those are available in the aftermarket?

Right now I'm just going through the hassle of cleaning and organizing things. Need to sort out the odds and ends that I need for the swap (Looks like a bunch of 99-00 stuff). The coolant pipe and turbo coolant fittings are the current big hassle. Also, just for clarification, that 16T wasn't with this motor. The motor came sans turbo and this was one I picked up for the swap.

I figured out timing the engine, and have one of the timing /cam lock service kits, so things are good there. Just need to mark things before I pull stuff apart.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
So, in my never-ending discovery of what's what with RN motors, I stumbled across this pic of an 02-03 S60 turbo motor.

This coolant tube matches the one I have, and now that I see it in context, if I can get the proper turbo-side coolant lines, I can make use of the one I have with some new o-rings.

There's an '04 S60 on the yard with that '99 S70 we were going to look at this weekend. Looks like that might have the proper lines for us.

·
Registered
16,071 Posts
Having just done the coolant line project myself I can hopefully point you in the right direction.

There are no silicone hoses for the RN oil cooler that I've found. The Volvo hoses are available still for the inlet but not the newer style return. The older style return without the long metal pipe is available.

What does the turbo area of the water pipe look like?

You may want to get a 99 water pipe since that seemed the easiest solution for my swap.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Having just done the coolant line project myself I can hopefully point you in the right direction.

There are no silicone hoses for the RN oil cooler that I've found. The Volvo hoses are available still for the inlet but not the newer style return. The older style return without the long metal pipe is available.

What does the turbo area of the water pipe look like?

You may want to get a 99 water pipe since that seemed the easiest solution for my swap.
The pipe on my engine looks just like the one on the '02 engine. You can kind of see the "J" tube under the heat shield in the above pic. The turbo-side lines may be easier to remove in the yard. Depends on how stubborn the main coolant pipe wants to be. I had one fight me and one come out easy. I don't want to try and wrestle one out in the yard, in the cold/wet that we're going to have this weekend. Maybe I'll just try and get the whole lot and see what works best.

Good to know on the cooler hoses.

·
Registered
16,071 Posts
The pipe on my engine looks just like the one on the '02 engine. You can kind of see the "J" tube under the heat shield in the above pic. The turbo-side lines may be easier to remove in the yard. Depends on how stubborn the main coolant pipe wants to be. I had one fight me and one come out easy. I don't want to try and wrestle one out in the yard, in the cold/wet that we're going to have this weekend. Maybe I'll just try and get the whole lot and see what works best.

Good to know on the cooler hoses.
Ok missed that previous pic.

This is what you need:

See where the turbo coolant bung is?

That's the original 99 water pipe swapped onto my 04 block. What it came with was this:

Note the little j pipe. I believe that's the same pipe that all the k24 cars have.

9496493 is the early RN return oil cooler line. In my pic it's been replaced and wrapped with heat shielding.

·
Registered
16,071 Posts
If you need a 1999/2000 water pipe I can get probably get one from the parts barn theres two xc blocks there just sitting on subframes.

41 - 60 of 182 Posts