SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK, well block is torn down.

Main bearings look good, just some standard wear.

Need to sort out some hardware, since I (inadvertently) had the intermediate section of the block as part of my attachment to the engine stand. Have to maneuver things around a bit.

Now to start cleaning things up.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Yes, installed a straight flange and 3" down pipe.

Now it has a R exhaust manifold on it since I had to replace the head 8/17 (burnt a valve at 362,600). Was holding boost real strong a week or so ago before the intake tube blew off. lol
You're probably noticing as much from the DP/exhaust housing as you are from the 16T. The Conic flange exhaust housing is terrible.

There is an updated oil pickup tube:

You'll need to use a RN pan to use that pickup tube. But that's not a bad idea, anyway, since that allows you to use the updated oil cooler, too.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You'll need to use a RN pan to use that pickup tube. But that's not a bad idea, anyway, since that allows you to use the updated oil cooler, too.
Sounds like a bit of scope creep that I might want to avoid. Need to look deeper I guess and see what that might cost us.

I'm "familiar" with the 93-97 cars, not so much with anything later, or some of the RN upgrade stuff.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Doing some quick digging, it looks like parts from a 99-00 car would get me what I need. Looks like those are the cars that have the proper coolant tubes for the earlier engines.

The biggest PITA looks to be getting the oil pan out of a car in the yard.

Aside from the deletion of the hoses running to the radiator, is this a worthwhile upgrade?

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
I think it is. The RN pan fixes a lot of little problems.... although I personally would RN swap the whole engine rather than rebuild a N engine in most cases.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I wouldn't mind being rid of that stupid oil cooler set-up that's there currently.

Another question. About turbos again this time. As mentioned, this car will have a '98 HPT or '98 R ECU in it. No tune will be done. Would a 16T (With appropriate injectors) be fine? Or should we stick with the 15G?

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
16T should run fairly well on a stock tune. don't mix and match 4.3 cars with stock 4.4 tunes though. swapping injectors is probably a bigger issue.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
16T should run fairly well on a stock tune. don't mix and match 4.3 cars with stock 4.4 tunes though. swapping injectors is probably a bigger issue.
'97 GLT's are M4.4.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
'97 GLT's are M4.4.
Oh, interesting. Hadn't thought of it before but that makes sense. I bet that's because all the 97 GLTs were turbo and the x70s were already available in every other market in 97. They probably developed it for the x70 and shoved it in the 850 as an afterthought.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So, I just was able to decrypt the main bearing codes today, but I pulled the trigger on some "STD" main bearings a couple days ago.

The codes stamped on my block are "ABBBBB" and on the lower is "CBBBBB"

Looking at this chart HERE, all of my bearings should be "Yellow" or medium, except for the #1, which is "Red" or thin.

These are the main bearings I ordered
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/46733/Main-Bearing-Set-STD-21431845/

Seeing as most of my bearings are the same and "medium", these *should* be OK, correct? I can order a separate "Red" set.
(I couldn't find any info on what, if any, manf part numbers the Glycos cross to.)

Haven't ordered anything else yet. (I know about the "splatter" bearings for the rods)

Also, second question. Looking at the oil pump. The relief valve spring is supposed to measure out to about 82mm. The one in the pump measures about 75mm. The rest of the pump looks clean, and the clearances are good. I should be able to just replace that spring and be good to go, correct?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
16,103 Posts
I wouldn't mind being rid of that stupid oil cooler set-up that's there currently.

Another question. About turbos again this time. As mentioned, this car will have a '98 HPT or '98 R ECU in it. No tune will be done. Would a 16T (With appropriate injectors) be fine? Or should we stick with the 15G?
Always match the turbo and injectors to the ecu.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
16,103 Posts
I was planning on it, which is why I'm asking. I don't know what was used on a '98 T5 or R.
16t and whites. Blues are the same injectors FYI

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So, a new wrinkle in this.

I'm at work and was killing a couple minutes and stumbled across a B5244T3 engine out of an '01 (with 142K). The price is right, so it has me considering it.

According to the Wiki
The B5244T3 is a 2.4 L (2,435 cc) straight-five. It is turbocharged and intercooled with a power output of 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) with 285 N⋅m (210 lb⋅ft) of torque at 1800 rpm. It features exhaust cam VVT.

So, it's an RN 2.4L LPT engine. I haven't had time to dig into all of the details on the swap, but I don't want to step into too much of a big conversion deal.

It's COP, but I quickly read that you can modify the cams to accept the dist rotor and CPS. The exhaust VVT is locked at 0*, so no issues with anything there, if I leave it alone, I assume. I'd still like to try and run this on my original plan of a 98 T5 ECU with a 16T and whites.

There are a couple other small details, but no big gotchas on this path, correct?

·
Registered
16,103 Posts
So, a new wrinkle in this.

I'm at work and was killing a couple minutes and stumbled across a B5244T3 engine out of an '01 (with 142K). The price is right, so it has me considering it.

According to the Wiki
The B5244T3 is a 2.4 L (2,435 cc) straight-five. It is turbocharged and intercooled with a power output of 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) with 285 N⋅m (210 lb⋅ft) of torque at 1800 rpm. It features exhaust cam VVT.

So, it's an RN 2.4L LPT engine. I haven't had time to dig into all of the details on the swap, but I don't want to step into too much of a big conversion deal.

It's COP, but I quickly read that you can modify the cams to accept the dist rotor and CPS. The exhaust VVT is locked at 0*, so no issues with anything there, if I leave it alone, I assume. I'd still like to try and run this on my original plan of a 98 T5 ECU with a 16T and whites.

There are a couple other small details, but no big gotchas on this path, correct?
Water pipe will be incompatible with the -00 style Td04HL turbos without a lot of mixing and matching. You could have VA5T tuning do a coil on plug harness as well as run the exhaust vvt.

RN swap will net you an improved oil pan, head and exhaust manifold (may home with a Japanifold) at the very least. You can convert it back to cap and rotor to keep the old style ignition. Fuel line and fuel pressure regulator vacuum line will have to be tweaked and rearranged. I'm sure there's more that I'm missing since I only really have RN experience and knowledge but those are a few things I'm aware of.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
What turbos would be compatible? This engine has no exhaust/turbo on it, but was going to use a Japanifold and was hoping to use the 16T, unless getting water pipes to work is a big PITA.

I looked at the VA5T stuff, and might be ab option on down the line, but I'd rather put that money elsewhere right now.

·
Registered
16,103 Posts
What turbos would be compatible? This engine has no exhaust/turbo on it, but was going to use a Japanifold and was hoping to use the 16T, unless getting water pipes to work is a big PITA.

I looked at the VA5T stuff, and might be ab option on down the line, but I'd rather put that money elsewhere right now.
01+ Td04HLs. 13, 16, 18, 19 when configured correctly.

Here's what you and I have:

Here's the newer style

The turbo coolant ports get moved to the same side. It can be made to work you'll just need all the hard and soft lines off the donor motor essentially. I opted to switch the 04 water pipe out with the 99 water pipe to keep it all nice and bolt up with what I have on hand.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ah, so if I can get my hands on the 99 water pipe, I should be OK. That should work with the 16T and the turbo coolant lines I have on the older engines, and also work with the pan-mounted oil cooler.

Now just to dig up the conversion down to dist from COP.

·
Registered
16,103 Posts
Ah, so if I can get my hands on the 99 water pipe, I should be OK. That should work with the 16T and the turbo coolant lines I have on the older engines, and also work with the pan-mounted oil cooler.

Now just to dig up the conversion down to dist from COP.
Distributor is easy. Bolt on the rotor, cap and set the wires up.

21 - 40 of 182 Posts