SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Thanks to SwedeSpeed forums, classifeds and a great member, my boss is sending me to Rochester, NY on Friday from Boise, Idaho to look at and 99.999% sure buy a 2006 S60R. Then, I'll head down to Philly to stay with my Mom for a day. Then leave Sunday and Blast 2450 miles from Philly to Boise! Probably back to Boise very late Monday night.

Should be a good weekend.

Thanks for all the resources. If any one along the I-70 corridor through Peoria, IL and then from Peoria to Boise along the I-80 corridor wants to post a contact number in case I have any issues that would be great!

Thanks, Don

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
That should be nice driving those highway miles across I-70/I-80. Too bad you can't cut north first to Montana and hit those Speed Limit: "Drive Safely" zones, if they still exist.

"But sir, this car IS safe at 154!"

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually am looking forward to sending the Boss pictures of Various speedmeter readings as I cruise through the US! When I drove my V back from Los Angeles 2 years ago, there were some great pics of (I can neither confirm nor deny I was driving) triple digit speeds.

Don

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Cross country road trip in an R... Sounds strangely familiar. Oh wait, that's my story too! :). Check the link in my signature.

If you're driving through Indianapolis, you could check out Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

If you choose to drive I-80 through Indiana, you'll drive within about 10 miles of my house near the intersection of I-69 and I-80/90. Tire Rack's headquarters is next to I-80 approx milemarker 73.

Watch the cops through Ohio. They're viscous. 5 over is about all you can do safely. 8-10 over through Indiana.

Either way, HAPPY AND SAFE MOTORING!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Have fun. Did the cross country trip this past Jan.

The R is a blast on long trips :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Be careful driving through NY, I wouldn't be surprised if you pass 7 troopers before you get out of the state. You should be safe doing 8 over and I recommend you bring a V1 with you. ;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
04-SR, I see you live in Rochester. Do you know Driscode? He is the member that has the car for sale. If not no biggie. The fun part in picking up a car is driving with no license plate. I wish states would let you put a sign that says something like "being transported" or something. Instead if you get pulled over it's the nth degree of where did you get the car and so forth. Not that I got pulled over at 2 am in the middle of Nevada between Ely and Las Vegas by a very cautious trooper. :)

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
You can't just drive X country with no plate, what are you thinking!
You need to buy a transport tag from the NY DMV.

Stop by when you're in the Philly area

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
In preparing for my cross country trip, I researched each states' BMV to get their policies. I don't have the list handy, but remember each differed slightly. Some state (e.g., Indiana) allow you to drive 30 days before registering. I ended up taking a plate and the registration from my other car with me on the plane. Upon buying the car, I had the bill of sale with me. I put the plate on my R and drove home figuring a car with a plate is less conspicuous than one without a plate. And made it home with no issues. Probably not the smartest thing, but it worked.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I drove my Benz to VA and had the gf drive it back while I took the 05 SR back that I picked up over a year ago...got a temp VA plate from the dealer...

To get my 06 SR we drove the 05SR out to MI to look at it and put a deposit on it...then sold that hideous thing they call black with Gobi...flew to MI...picked up the new SR and slapped the Benz plate on it...

The hardest part was not speeding....although I did race a B6 S4 for a bit

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Awesome trip, hope you enjoy it. When I got my 04 VR used from a dealer in CT I flew in, checked it out, then had a cashier's check the next day from the bank. The wife and I then drove it back down to FL. It was a nice, relaxing way to get to know the new car. Long road trips can be fun, I'm jealous!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Just got back from Rochester last Thursday night and will return next Monday. Pretty chilly for a Texas guy. Congrats on your new R!

·
Registered
278 Posts
04-SR, I see you live in Rochester. Do you know Driscode? He is the member that has the car for sale.
I don't know him but I did have a chance to meet him and see his car last year. I bought his 18" Pegs :D
It seemed like a clean car inside and out. Good luck with the trip and the purchase.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
The fun part in picking up a car is driving with no license plate. I wish states would let you put a sign that says something like "being transported" or something. Instead if you get pulled over it's the nth degree of where did you get the car and so forth. Not that I got pulled over at 2 am in the middle of Nevada between Ely and Las Vegas by a very cautious trooper. :)
No Plate is WAY better than a California plate. I hate DWC ( Driving While Californian) This past year on our winter road trip I enlarged the non visible California Temp and taped it on the back window like every other state. I made it almost back to Cali before getting pulled over in Wyoming. The Officer could not understand why there was no expiration date on the temp. I told it was because in California it takes up to 4 months to get plates. She like the car and laughed

In 2002 when we did the trip in the XC wen went into to Canada . I called and they said if the car was tagged properly for our home state we were fine. The funniest was a young trooper in NC. I was pulling into a gas station and I saw him hang a U into the station. I had my license registration and Id in had before he could ask. He asked me if I at least knew what my plate was going to be. I said yeas. He me , why not make a cardboard plate and put it on. I told him If I were you and saw that I would pull me over ASAP. He smiled , then told me, that they would impound my car in SC. It freaked me out so bad, it was the speed limit for the first time EVER. The next morning I called the state troupers office and they said if it was ok in my home state they would be fine

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Nice work don! I remember you trying to talk your boss into an R when we got together. I think the final sales point was how many sets of golf clubs you could put into the trunk IIRC :p

It'll be nice to have another R here locally! For a state with only ~1,000,000 people we're starting to hoard some R's!

Have fun on the drive and we'll see you for the drive to IPD in a month :thumbup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, It is done. Daniel was great and the car was as advertised. Left Rochester at 6 pm Friday night and Drove to Philly (335 miles) to spend a day with my Mom. Left Philly at 4 am Sunday and pretty much set the cruise at 7 over any chance I got. Had a 45 mile detour near Pittsburg for road construction (on a 35 mph back road). Then a 30 minute road bloackage in Indiana for a Semi that flipped on it's side. Then Smooth sailing from there. Lots of road construction spots but nothing too major. Got home last night at 7:15 pm. Did stop and sleed 7 hours in Kearney Nebraska 2415 miles - 27.7 MPG according to the computer - 33 hours total drive time about 73 avg speed.

Don

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Well, It is done. Daniel was great and the car was as advertised. Left Rochester at 6 pm Friday night and Drove to Philly (335 miles) to spend a day with my Mom. Left Philly at 4 am Sunday and pretty much set the cruise at 7 over any chance I got. Had a 45 mile detour near Pittsburg for road construction (on a 35 mph back road). Then a 30 minute road bloackage in Indiana for a Semi that flipped on it's side. Then Smooth sailing from there. Lots of road construction spots but nothing too major. Got home last night at 7:15 pm. Did stop and sleed 7 hours in Kearney Nebraska 2415 miles - 27.7 MPG according to the computer - 33 hours total drive time about 73 avg speed.

Don
Congrats, now update your signature!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Good stuff! I'm from Rochester (I'm away for school now), sorry about our airport ;-)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This car is for My Boss. It'll be up to him if he creates a user name! Airport was just the same as Boise! Small and easy yo get in and out of.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts