SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded in my 2006 VW GTI last year after it gave several headaches and then left me stranded in the middle of a 4way intersection. I paid the repair bill and then started looking to trade it in. I ended up getting a 2010 Mazda Speed3. It's fast and has 4 doors and I just wanted to get rid of the VW. I knew I wasn't going to get the same MPG from the Mazda as I did with the VW but I thought the MPG would be close. Well it doesn't matter how I drive on the highway (slow or medium) the car could not get me 400 miles on a single tank of gas.

I am now looking to trade it in for a C30 Rdesign or a Hyundai Veloster turbo.

What is the number of miles people are getting before having to fill up?

What is the fuel capacity?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
15.9 gal...same as your Mazda? I'd say you'd need a fairly light foot to get 400 miles from a tank UNLESS you were cruising on the highway. Shouldn't be a problem if you're holding highways speeds. Around town?...I'd guess you're closer to 350-360 range with normally 'spirited' driving. I seriously miss the 21 gal tank of our 'old' V70.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have filled up 16 times since I got the car and average 291.8 miles before refueling. My average mileage is 23.6. It's a 2012 R-Design with the Polestar tune. That's daily driving, and is a mix of heavy traffic and freeway (fast) cruising.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well, I do true around town driving...may get on the interstate once per month for only a couple miles usually. I average right at 20. I usually fill up at 220 miles which is on E but it usually only takes 11-12 gallons. So for me with a 4 mil city commute in traffic the range sucks. And in winter I usually only get around 200 miles. On all highway trips I have only gotten about 360-370 miles...so yeah I could get 400 if I didn't mind dropping below E for a few miles.

If you want good city mileage don't go for a c30. Sad but true. On highway the mileage is great and competitive with a veloster turbo but the ride will be so much nicer and quieter( some reviews say veloster can be loud). I do wish I had the veloster 3rd door though.

If mileage is really huge I like using the fueleconomy.gov website. You can plug different cars in, change you mix of driving, and gas price and it tells you the real cost of gas you can expect for each car. It's amazing how little in can be over a year for a guy like me that only drives 7000 a year...for me a full hybrid would be the only way to save significant money. a vehicle with mid 20s city mileage vs a c30 is peanuts when you don't drive much.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Depends on driving style. 100% city, I filled up at 320 miles before. 100% highway, I've filled between 400-470 depending which highway I go. But for me normal driving I get around 420 miles before filling up.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
558 Posts
On 100% highway, I can get 500 miles to a tank. On daily driving of 50% highway and 50% city, I go about 340 miles on a tank.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
On 100% highway, I can get 500 miles to a tank. On daily driving of 50% highway and 50% city, I go about 340 miles on a tank.
Seems about right

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As long as I can get over 400 miles on a tank of gas I'll be happy cuz that mazda sucks on gas mileage.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I can get over 400 miles on the c30 because of its 15.9 gallon tank. When I had the s40 t5 loaner, i could barely get 375 miles due to a smaller tank

·
Registered
53 Posts
I get about 320-330 miles from a tank if I fill it up then run down to 1/4 during mixed driving with the autotech tune, have gotten 400 miles on mostly interstate driving 65-70 mph as long as I keep my foot out of Boost. I also add 4 oz of marvel mystery oil to a tank of gas. I haven't noticed much change in mileage with the MMO added on the C30, other cars I have 2-3 mpg increase. At least it helps protect the fuel pump and injection system from the effects of ethanol. Wise choice to get rid of the GTI I can't stand most VAG products they are a money pit! Hope this helps. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts