SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - possibly looking to get back into a Volvo. My wife and I really likes the XC60. Since we are going back to an SUV, we decided it would be nice to be able to use it to tow our boat, but the tow rating is fairly low at 3500 lbs. However, GrecianVolvo says it's 5,000 lbs, despite screen shots of the owner's manual saying it's 3500. What's the definitive word on the tow rating? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I think the problem is with translation maybe ??? Why there is so much difference in official data I really don't understand
Here's an overview of the UK market or an international version of official Volvo company documents
Max. weight braked trailer: 2400 kg = 5291 lbs

I really don't know why this information is about 3500 lbs in US :confused:

Volvo UK:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/suppor...-and-weights/towing-capacity-and-towball-load

Volvo Germany:

https://www.volvocars.com/de/suppor.../masse-und-gewichte/zuggewichte-und-stutzlast

or (T5 , T6 and T8 ) for T8 is 2100kg

or this Volvo internal vehicle specification document It ranges from 2100-2400kg (4630-5291 lbs)

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Regardless of the US/EU towing capacity discrepancy, I'd only recommend the T6/T8 for towing because of the: (1) larger brakes and (2) higher engine output.

The T8 is great for towing, especially with air suspension (automatic load leveling). I tow a ~3,400 lb boat (full tank, accessories) and it's nice to maneuver it around on electric only (e.g., backing up).

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Bigger does not mean it is better, this is the official statistics and data Volvo company :partywave:

T5 has 322mm / 345mm front brakes and 302mm / 320mm rear brakes depending on the equipment
T8 has 345mm front brakes and 320mm rear brakes but weighs 240kg-310kg more than the T5 (depending on the equipment on T8 /T5)

Stopping distance from 100 to 0 km / h, is same 36 meters for T5 / T8 :p

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Maybe in US, people drive faster and accelerate quicker than Europe so they recommend less towing capacity?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Fixed that for ya.

T5 has 322mm front brakes and 302mm rear brakes depending on the equipment
T6/T8 has 345mm front brakes and 320mm rear brakes but weighs 240kg-310kg more than the T5 (depending on the equipment on T8 /T5)
Stopping distance from 100 to 0 km / h, is same 36 meters for T5 / T8 :p
Under load, i.e., towing a boat? I think not.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would use your owner's manual as the definitive towing guide. Your tow hitch may be rated for more than you can tow and I would look at an aftermarket tow hitch. The Volvo supplied hitch is a 1.25" receiver. I would get one with a 2" receiver.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Interestingly the Audi Q5 in Europe is allowed a trailer of 2400kg = 5290lbs but the same model in the USA is 4400lbs = 2000kg :confused:

It's really weird :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Fixed that for ya.

Under load, i.e., towing a boat? I think not.
Nowhere there is no data on the stopping distance with a trailer, I hope you know why :)

No need to not correct me, it's Volvo data :partywave:

The T5 model can weigh 1773kg - 1969 depending on the equipment (panoramic roof, tow bar, 18 "or 21" wheels ....) Depending on equipment, there are smaller or larger brakes on T5

I hope you now understand what kind of nonsense you made

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is all very interesting. Do Euro versions have the same engine cooling? How about the same transmission? I'm trying to rack my head over the discrepancy.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
This is all very interesting. Do Euro versions have the same engine cooling? How about the same transmission? I'm trying to rack my head over the discrepancy.
According to transmissions code: AW TG-81SC, same is fitted to models for the US / EU market

I can't help you with engine cooling.
I recently asked the same question.
The Audi Q5 has a different cooling system, ie a larger radiator and dual fans in model that having a towbar (i think this is normal but….). That doesn't seem to be the case with Volvo
Here:
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?601767-Factory-towing-hitch-bigger-cooling-system

·
Registered
145 Posts
Could it be related to the different style standard Euro tow hitch, which is not the same as the US 2" receiver type, and therefore maybe stronger?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
The T5 model can weigh 1773kg - 1969 depending on the equipment (panoramic roof, tow bar, 18 "or 21" wheels ....) Depending on equipment, there are smaller or larger brakes on T5

I hope you now understand what kind of nonsense you made.
I stated the US specs, not the unfortunate country you call home (unfortunate for the other folks who live there).

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I stated the US specs, not the unfortunate country you call home (unfortunate for the other folks who live there).
These are factory data for the WHOLE WORLD do not apply to individual regions and countries
Unfortunately you write nonsense again :bow:

UPSSSSSS or maybe there is a secret factory just for the US market where they make a different model from the rest of the world :facepalm:

Let me explain to you even though I don't think you'll understand :bow:
The Volvo XC60, without panoramic roof, is lighter by 76kg than the XC60 with panoramic roof
The XC60 with towbar is 35kg heavier than the model without towbar
The XC60 with 22 "wheels weighs 20-28 kg more than the model with 18" wheels

I hope you don't write stupid again, because I don't answer anymore, I don't have time for that

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
These are factory data for the WHOLE WORLD do not apply to individual regions and countries
It's been this way for Volvo for many, many years in the US - nothing new. At least the tongue weight is now 350 lbs for the SPA XC60. For the P3 XC60 it was only 165 lbs which is a joke. In the US you're pretty much required to follow the manufacturer's towing limitations.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
It's been this way for Volvo for many, many years in the US - nothing new. At least the tongue weight is now 350 lbs for the SPA XC60. For the P3 XC60 it was only 165 lbs which is a joke. In the US you're pretty much required to follow the manufacturer's towing limitations.
Thank you for the information
My last comment concerns the total weight of the vehicle

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
What happens if you don't?
Perhaps nothing but a couple of things come to mind: 1) Something breaks on the car while under warranty and while towing and if you were exceeding the trailer weight limits the manufacturer could potentially point to that as a contributing factor if the part that broke is remotely related to trailer towing (and that could be just about anything), 2) You get into an accident while towing over the weight limits outlined by the manufacturer. I could envision issues with potential liability and insurance coverage.

Perhaps these are all a stretch for folks so YMMV.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts