SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
i am looking to purchase a 98-99 volvo c70 (hard top 5spd) and was wondering what things should i look for?
the ones that i have found both have around 125xxx miles.

also are there any recalls that these cars have had?

sorry for all these noob questions, i just want to make sure what to look out for.

thanks,
cm123

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Any reason you restrict to those years? They made coupes until 2002, and generally the newer, the better. I would also advise you to go read the S70/V70 forum because it has way more traffic, and all of the things that apply to those cars apply to the C. the main difference in the C is that the window regulators are entirely different and way less reliable. When test driving, if you hear noise from the window, or they don't go up and down smooth, prepare for a very high repair bill (around $600) unless you're a decent mechanic yourself.

Otherwise the common issues are coolant leaks, heater core leaks, PCV clogs which necessitate replacing the rear main seal, ABS controller failures, and on '99 and up cars, the electronic throttle module was a wear item that is guaranteed to fail, requiring around $500 to fix. Change the timing belt and serpentine belt early, do not wait until it's time. If the previous owner can't tell you when the timing belt was changed, change it immediately. The nice part is, most of these things only happen once while you own the car. If you're lucky you'll find a car that's had most of them done recently.

Oh, I forgot steering and suspension components. It'll need front suspension every 80k-100k. If you buy a car and it has 100k or more, it'll probably need suspension rubber at some point soon after you buy it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any reason you restrict to those years? .
im not restricted to just those years, its just that i havent found any manual transmission c70 coupes in that body style besides 98s.
especially within a 200mile radius from where i am located.

thanks for the info. i am going to see one in PA this sunday so i will be on the look for this stuff

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
There are 3 manual convertibles just on autotrader for sale nationwide right now, so they're out there, but yeah it's gonna be a hard search. If you do '98, a manual swap is pretty easy. Later years is possible, but it requires a software flash and/or a parts car which will be extra money. But yeah, when you search, definitely include up to 02.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are 3 manual convertibles just on autotrader for sale nationwide right now, so they're out there, but yeah it's gonna be a hard search. If you do '98, a manual swap is pretty easy. Later years is possible, but it requires a software flash and/or a parts car which will be extra money. But yeah, when you search, definitely include up to 02.
thanks ill take a look into that.
i'm really just looking for a hardtop coupe no convertibles. not really a fan of the c70 convertible.
this is the one i am going to look at tomorrow. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...=MAN&searchRadius=0&listingId=294174041&Log=0

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Prior to getting into one of these cars, the first questions you need to ask is how much money are your willing to spend on annual maintenance, and a stage 0 after purchase. Do you have a good indy that you can take it to. This is not a car to take to the dealer, unless you want to finance your services advisors kids college fund.

Volvo is not a honda, so if you are a college student, turn around and go buy a toyota, honda, acura, or anything else like that. Volvo is not known for cheap maintenance, specially the 98's. The maintenance intervals were lower than the 99's and as a result, you end of making more repairs. Plus, 99+ has the electronic Throttle Module, where the 98's are still Cap and rotor. This part does suck as its old technology that wears out quickly especially if you are running mods. Other difference, 98 is easier to mod, 99+ have more electronics to get in the way.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just left the owners house. The overall of the car was great interior and exterior. It had a couple scratches and a ding but overall was good. It did have the traction and abs light on the dashboard which is for the module to be replaced and the timing maintenance is coming up.
Only problem that it had was a dry knocking sound coming from the drivers side when the car is at idle.
The owner said he bought the car like that which im not sure of that is true or not. He said he was willing to negotiate to $5000 but the noise is what i am worried about.
Do any of you know what it could be?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The abs light is a known issue with a simple fix. The abs module can be removed and soldered. Look up victor rocha. Should cost you about $75 bucks. He did the repair on my abs module in 2005and its still running strong. No issues since.

As for the knocking, this could be anything from a motor mount, leaking oil pickup seal, to a bend rod. Its hard to tell without hearing the sound. It could also be the standard lifter ticking that volvo's are known for.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The car is worth five grand if (and only if) a full "Stage Zero" has been done with no obvious issues. As mentioned - the ABS module is a $75 - $100 fix. Figure $500 parts and PITA factor for a timing belt with all seals. Figure another $500 parts / PITA for suspension components and motor mounts if they haven't been looked at/replaced recently.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found this 99 c70 HT coupe not too far from where I live.. I called up and the guy I spoke said he has a complete list of service/maintenance done.. Also the timing maintenance has been recently too.
Any differences to look for in the 99s ? Besides the electronic throttle module?

Here's the link http://www.allmotorcarsltd.net/vehicledetails.aspx?VID=148628792

·
Registered
118 Posts
hello,
i am looking to purchase a 98-99 volvo c70 (hard top 5spd) and was wondering what things should i look for?
the ones that i have found both have around 125xxx miles.

also are there any recalls that these cars have had?

sorry for all these noob questions, i just want to make sure what to look out for.

thanks,
cm123
If you would consider one in Saffron Pearl...with the two two tone interior in tan. Maybe you would be interested in mine. Mine has been meticulously maintained. With a list of new parts, just passed PA inspection at the local Volvo dealer. No warning lights on, new tires, new battery, new front struts, new heater core, new control arm links, clutch within 30,000 miles, timing belt service within 30,000 miles. Everything works....which is saying something with these cars.

I am located in Lancaster County PA. I could send detailed pictures and service history if you are interested.

Link to my Photo Bucket with some pictures:

http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab177/Inline5fan/My Saffron C70 Coupe/

Cheers,

Ted
1998 C70 Coupe HPT Manual - Saffron Pearl

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you would consider one in Saffron Pearl...with the two two tone interior in tan. Maybe you would be interested in mine. Mine has been meticulously maintained. With a list of new parts, just passed PA inspection at the local Volvo dealer. No warning lights on, new tires, new battery, new front struts, new heater core, new control arm links, clutch within 30,000 miles, timing belt service within 30,000 miles. Everything works....which is saying something with these cars.

I am located in Lancaster County PA. I could send detailed pictures and service history if you are interested.

Link to my Photo Bucket with some pictures:

http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab177/Inline5fan/My Saffron C70 Coupe/

Cheers,

Ted
1998 C70 Coupe HPT Manual - Saffron Pearl
thanks! will pm you

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am not really fan of the car in general (the C70, that is), but buying a Saffron (the best color) from a fan / loyal poster when everything "Stage Zero" (timing belt, seals, suspension, filters, fluids, etc) is done and accounted for is by FAR your best option. It would have saved me a LOT of headache.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your input Gnarsh_Darkwatch that is very true

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
OP: My 2 cents

98's...
*are cake to work on
*No VVT
*No coil packs
*No ETM
*model year with the most production BUT also now they have the highest mileage and thus are harder to find

99 to 02
*etm problem, but fixed for $600 from xemodex
*4 years production combined have more than 98 :) easier to find
* little harder to work on but basically the same as the 98's

If i were you i would not limit myself to just 98's. I would how ever consider cars based on their condition and color combo. YES, if i was searching i would be that picky. Maintenance on FWD volvo's are pretty straight foward.

the biggest thing i would tell you to look for is the RMS leaking. This is under the car between the trans and the engine. that $30 seal will cost $500-1000 for labor to repair. If you still looking for a s70 t5m there is one in the philly area for cale on craigslist AND chilled man has/had a s70 t5m for sale recently.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for the info burg_855t .
unfortunately my search for a c70 has ended.
i purchased a 2005 black sapphire metallic s60r 6spd this weekend.

i would like thank everyone for the help and information you have all provided me.

thanks. :beer:
cm123

1 - 20 of 21 Posts