SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums.

I'm looking at a 2006 Volvo S40 2.4i. It has 114K miles on it and seems to be in very good condition (other than some interior stuff, but it's no big deal).

Does anyone have experience with this particular year and model? The CarFax says that it failed smog once; is this a normal problem?

Thank you very much for your time. I appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a 2006 S40 2.4i that I purchased in November. Just look out for obvious issues. Check for suspension noises, odd engine noises, and issues like that. A common issue with all S40s is the PCV box goes bad. This makes a very loud squealing when it has failed. A failed smog isn't a problem as long as the car was repaired. Some suspension components might be wearing at that mileage. Check that all the fluids are full and look decent and maybe have the car looked at by a mechanic that you trust before purchase.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My advice since our fiasco is to do a compression test... I'll be doing that on every car I buy from now on. You never know what's going on inside the engine.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
My advice since our fiasco is to do a compression test... I'll be doing that on every car I buy from now on. You never know what's going on inside the engine.
That's just a waste of $200. What is it going to tell you? If the engine is running smoothly with no missing or smoke, compression will be fine. If the engine is missing or smoking, just pass on it.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
That's just a waste of $200. What is it going to tell you? If the engine is running smoothly with no missing or smoke, compression will be fine. If the engine is missing or smoking, just pass on it.
Ours was running great for 3 months.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
757 Posts
As the owner of a 2006 V50 2.4i, aside from the obvious, I'd check: PCV (it may still be covered by an extended warranty), engine mounts (3), coolant reservoir, timing belt, sunroof leaks (look under carpet - is foam damp?)..Do after buying: timing belt (unless you have an iron-clad guarantee that is was just done), transmission flush.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Well the intake valves were damaged for a while I assume since the timing belt was replaced before we bought it, and a compression test would have shown us inconsistent numbers per cylinder.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
If it wasn't throwing any misfire codes due to bent valves, I don't think a compression test would have told you anything that would have been a deal breaker, considering normal variation between cylinders not to mention factoring in gauge tolerances. But then I don't know the details of your purchase. Did you have PPI done?

·
Registered
257 Posts
That's the exact model I have with the same mileage! I've had mine for over 3 years now, and I haven't had any real problems out of it. I just replaced the original battery today, and the only other parts I know I'll need to replace soon are my shocks and struts. Like others have said, just listen for suspension noises among other obvious things and you should be fine. I've honestly had no trouble out of my car for the most part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah! Thank you so much for all of the advice! Sorry for the late response; my email stopped notifying me of changes to the thread.

I appreciate all of the details! I'm still in the process of trying to decide, but all of this information helps a bunch!

Thank you! Looking forward to possibly joining the Volvo family!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts