SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Looking to get a new stereo - Need suggestions

6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  cuseR 
#1 · (Edited)
I have had a Bluepower radio since the groupbuy and as we all know it sucks. The screen is starting to flicker so bad that I can't take it anymore and Bluepower won't replace it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDhTufmEgWc. (Screen flicker video)

So I'm looking to get something new. My question is what HUs are you guys putting in your R's or what do you recommend?

Some requirements for my new HU
1. Double din/ in dash navigation
2. Smooth running iPod integration
3. Hands free Bluetooth
4. No pop out/ flip up screens
5. Steering wheel controls (if even possible)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, all I really need is to know which ones to stay away from or which brands actually work well. Any threads that I missed would help too. Thanks guys.

#3 ·
As much as I'd love to do that, i don't think that's an option lol. I've seen people use their iPad as a headunit, now that'd be cool

#6 ·
Pioneer AVIC-X940BT is a very good deck. My girlfriend has it and it and loves it. It has full navagation (very easy to use) iPod integration on the back so you can run your iPod to the center console. The screen shows the album artwork all your playlists, artists ect. and it has Bluetooth. Plus you can watch DVDs lol

#7 ·
Kenwood's nicer navigation units have their navi services provided by Garmin, so the interface is nice and the maps are easily updatable. I had a Kenwood that I loved until heat killed it and it was out of warranty. I got a JVC instead and use a portable GPS and my Android phone for navigation now. Really, when you step up to full navi, you spend so much more money than getting the same features without navi and buying a portable unit. For me it didn't make sense to spend another $800 when my JVC was more like $500 and the GPS I got refurfished for $30.

Anyway, personally, I avoid the silly android/iPad/no-name-Chinese brand ideas. You want something stable, easy to use and that has a functional service department supporting it. My out-of-warranty experience with Kenwood really soured them to me, so on my JVC I bought an extra 2 years of SquareTrade warranty to supplement.

I hear good things about the AVICs too. These days any decent double DIN deck will have iPod/BT integration.

#8 ·
That eBay one reminds me too much of bluepower. I'm looking for a brand name I think. Pioneer sounds like a good idea, or possibly a kenwood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
The 850 is a great system, I still have mine actually. But I like having the in dash GPS, so im willing to sacrifice a little sound quality for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 · (Edited)
Alright I think I'm going to buy the Pioneer AVIC-X940BT... Can anyone help me with what else I'm going to need to buy? I'll buy the faceplate from crutchfield, and the volvo wiring harness. But I remember seeing something on another thread (which I can't find) where you need to buy an adapter on ebay to get the stereo to work with the factory amp... And does anyone know if there is any way to get the steering controls to work?

Edit: I think I actually should be able to use the amp connector from the bluepower radio for factory amp use. But I also found the link to the ebay adapter for anyone else in the future http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Stere...&item=200484953400&pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.