Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello volvo enthusiasts

i would like to buy a 1998 volvo s70 5 speed With 75 k miles,manual transmission that is being sold, the owner says that it needs front shocks.

1.How often should i change the timing belt on these puppies?
2. How much mpg does the volvo s70 get?
3. Any factory defects or recalls I should be aware of?
4. Are these cars s70 reliable?
5. How can i know if the engine has good compression?
6.how many miles till overhaul?
7. How much do you spend on your s70 per year on maintenance?
8. How expensive are parts for a volvo?compared to toyota bmw?
9. Are monroe shocks good for the volvo?

Thanks for your advice. regards jorge

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Welcome to Swedespeed

Search around the forum and you'll find answers to most of these questions as they come up very often. Check out the pinned threads at the top of this forum to look at the 1998 Owners Manual and that will also answer a few of your questions.

I'd steer away from Monroe shocks for these cars personally. The stock Sachs shocks can be found for about 100 dollars per side and they last a long time/offer a decent ride quality.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
hello volvo enthusiasts

1.How often should i change the timing belt on these puppies?

70,000 miles or 7 years

2. How much mpg does the volvo s70 get?

That car should get lower 20s city and around 30 highway on 87 (Non turbo, correct)?

3. Any factory defects or recalls I should be aware of?

Couple of recalls, one is the headlight switch, I forget the other

4. Are these cars s70 reliable?

IF THEY ARE MAINTAINED

5. How can i know if the engine has good compression?

At 70K it better be fine!

6.how many miles till overhaul?

350K to possibly never if fastidiuosly maintained

7. How much do you spend on your s70 per year on maintenance?

I think the average is about $1000 if you don't do any work yourself

8. How expensive are parts for a volvo?compared to toyota bmw?

VERY!

9. Are monroe shocks good for the volvo?

Not really

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i can get bilstein or sachs shocks for $50 each shock? Cause thats what the monroes cost. What do u spend on in a year of maintenace?

Yes i am looking at a non turbo i beleive as it doesn,t have a t5 or glt badge on

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
You buy cheap, you get a cheap part, with the perfomance to match!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not always buying cheap means you get cheap quality. Many times price is associated with quality however that is not always the case. Volvos look like a good car to invest in.Do 98 volvos rust?

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Get turbo.

·
Registered
305 Posts
ive got a little bubbling rust at the bottom of my drivers side rear door on my 98 but the car spent its first 12 years in new hampshire!

Sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What size rims does the s70 have? Does the s70 have an independent suspension? Is it wishbone type? What is your favorite part of the s70?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Yes, these are not Mustangs with a live axle!
I don't think any Euro car over $15,000 has/had a non independent rear suspension.
Not a wishbone per se.

An S70 can have anything from a smaller 15" wheel to a 16" wheel depending on the model.
You will find some T5s with 17s on.

Why don't you look up all these questions yourself and learn as you go. :thumbup:
All are readily available on several websites and he has bubbling probably because that panel was painted at one time or another.

Normally they do not rust.
Cars from a strong salt area may have some suspension parts that could be rusted, but usully not the body unless it had paint OR the paint was chipped and the chips were not touched up and allowed to rust

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Welcome to Swedespeed

Search around the forum and you'll find answers to most of these questions as they come up very often. Check out the pinned threads at the top of this forum to look at the 1998 Owners Manual and that will also answer a few of your questions.

I'd steer away from Monroe shocks for these cars personally. The stock Sachs shocks can be found for about 100 dollars per side and they last a long time/offer a decent ride quality.
NOT $50 each.
But as Will states - A quality product with long life.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I think you are trolling...and you're not even good at it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
the same amount as any car from 1998

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
How many speakers does the s70 have and what brand is the radio and speakers? Do s70s come with traction control?
Eight I think. Don't recall the brand - is it made by Mitsubishi?

Two different types of traction control. TRACS was available on the '98s and was pretty rudimentary. STC was available on later models and functions pretty well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.