SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I'm a potential first time Volvo owner and was hoping for some advice in this forum. <p>I've read the threads regarding the transmission issues, especially the T6 so I'm mainly focusing on 3.2 or V8 if the price is right. <p>Right now I have a private party seller offering me a 2007 V8 AWD, completely loaded including the Sovereign leather for $31,500 with 25,000 miles. I love the feel of the leather, however the Chestnut Brown kinda clashes with the rest of the interior. <p>We were also looking at base 2009 new ones considering the free premium and versatility packages and free maintenance for 5 years. <p>Which would you go for? I know the V8 is reliable, however, what about other maintenance costs? We're not adverse to spending money to fix things, but with 2 businesses relying on the SUV, we'd need it to be pretty reliable. Dropping off at the dealer for free maintenance and warranty fixes is tempting even with the lack of features.<p>Thanks for reading this! <p>

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Re: Looking to buy an XC90 (Balve)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Balve</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi guys! I'm a potential first time Volvo owner and was hoping for some advice in this forum. <p>I've read the threads regarding the transmission issues, especially the T6 so I'm mainly focusing on 3.2 or V8 if the price is right. <p>Right now I have a private party seller offering me a 2007 V8 AWD, completely loaded including the Sovereign leather for $31,500 with 25,000 miles. I love the feel of the leather, however the Chestnut Brown kinda clashes with the rest of the interior. <p>We were also looking at base 2009 new ones considering the free premium and versatility packages and free maintenance for 5 years. <p>Which would you go for? I know the V8 is reliable, however, what about other maintenance costs? We're not adverse to spending money to fix things, but with 2 businesses relying on the SUV, we'd need it to be pretty reliable. Dropping off at the dealer for free maintenance and warranty fixes is tempting even with the lack of features.<p>Thanks for reading this! <p></TD></TR></TABLE><p>I am a sucker for the new cars, especially if you can write them off as a business related expense.<p>My wife uses XC90 for business related driving for last 5 years 25K + miles each year.<br>Our experiense with XC90 was superb so far. We have/had 2 with the combined mileage of over 140K and had no issues with them.<p>Basic 3.2 should be more than enough, and premium and versatility will make it darn close to V8, feature-vise.<p>Go with the new. <p>

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: Looking to buy an XC90 (gascos80)

<p>V8's are now getting milage on them and there have been some with valve train component<br>failures, research that. 3.2's still are pretty new, but some had porous block problems.<p>Unfortunately there have been so many engine changes that it is hard to determine longevity.<br>Only engine proven is the 2.5, and trans disproven of the T6.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Re: Looking to buy an XC90 (dmd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>dmd</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>V8's are now getting milage on them and there have been some with valve train component<br>failures, research that. 3.2's still are pretty new, but some had porous block problems.<p>Unfortunately there have been so many engine changes that it is hard to determine longevity.<br>Only engine proven is the 2.5, and trans disproven of the T6.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I live with potential consequences, having both 3.2 and V8 in my stable...20 and 60K respectively. So far so good.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: Looking to buy an XC90 (Balve)

Maintenance is basically the same on both cars. V8 has 2 more plugs to replace. Both engines are chain driven, so there is no timing belt to replace.<p>

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: Looking to buy an XC90 (VolvoMax)

<br>Chains stretch and the gears wear, that will throw off the cam timing. Some fiber gears<br>just come apart and send fragments throughout the engine to score anything they<br>come on contact with. Not sure which way Volvo went with their gears. Timing belts<br>were a way to easily change the timing drive system without having to take the<br>engine front completely apart. Over the years it seems the belts are placed more<br>difficult to get to (Honda car we had is one example). Neither is really a great option.<br>Gear to gear is noisy, so they used fiber gears to make it more quiet, only to have<br>the same fiber gear failure as the chains..<p>Gear and chain life depends on regular oil changes to get the longest life. Even then<br>they start getting loose with high miles sending the valve timing off some. Worse<br>case they slip a tooth or two.<p>If the engine is built to save money and space isnt left for the mis-timed valves when a <br>belt fails, the head will be ruined on a belt drive system. If the belt is easy to<br>access and valve indents are left in the pistons, the belt drive is a much better<br>maintenance choice. Throw a belt and all you have to do is get the cam in the right spot<br>and toss on a new belt, very easy. If the belt is changed regular (80-100k miles)<br>the valve system will always stay right in time.<br>

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: Looking to buy an XC90 (dmd)

Not sure what your point is exactly. Engines were chain driven for decades prior to timing belts. Belts are a cheaper solution, but take up more space.<p>If either a belt or a chain lets go,catastrophic damage can occur. Too many people either forget or skimp on timing belt maintenance.<br>Also, I know of more than one V8 that has gone well over 100k with no issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely not trying to skimp on the maintenance. I don't need that headache anymore. <p>Looks like a local dealer has 7 brand new 2009 3.2's and willing to move. I'm going to go that route. Nothing like a new car, and pretty much no headaches that way! Thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts