SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are the common problems s70s have?

I was just wondering what problems I should look out for. Also about how long do the turbos on these last? (GLT and T5)

I was also wondering what kind of AWD System is used? Is it a haldex or toersen based differential. I tried to find this out but couldn't find anything definitive.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
Typical used car stuff really - transmission shifts smoothly, AC works, etc. Have it checked out by a mechanic. If the car has been maintained properly the turbo usually lasts at least 150k maybe longer.

The AWD system is a viscous coupling system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do the turbos on these cars go often? I'm coming from a 99 audi a4 turbo which I sold due to high miles and fear of the turbo going. Is it a common problem or are they fairly durable?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
As long as its properly maintained, turbo should last a good while.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Steer clear of the AWD unless you feel you REALLY need it - it's costly to repair and has several points of failure. The FWD works extremely well in the snow and wet with proper tires for the conditions.

If you want an S70 then the 98 has fewer issues to be concerned about. In 99 Volvo moved to an electronic throttle management that has a faulty design. Can be replaced with an improved design from Xemodex but just be aware that the OEM ETMs do fail and usually within 100k miles.

Timing belt and tensioners should be replaced every 70k miles or 7 years. Water pump every 140k miles. Look to see when this was last done. A/C compressor / evaporator can and will develop leaks. Look to see if it's been serviced. ABS module if it fails can be repaired for less than $80 - but it will fail due to poor design. You'll know if the TRACS lights are always on no matter which way you push the button. Entire suspension needs to be replaced by ~120k miles. PCV / breather box needs to be replaced by 140k miles - you'll know if it puffs grey smoke after idling for a while or if you get positive pressure / smoke coming out of the oil check tube (will fill up a balloon). Heater core is an inexpensive repair if done the easy way - this will fail and you'll know if it has problems if you smell maple syrup when the heat is set to full blast.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The turbo is the least of your problems on a Volvo. Steering rack, suspension rubber, ABS module, throttle body, AC, and transmission all fail before turbos do.

The good news is that they're still pretty reliable cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts