SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Currently I drive a 1999 Camry. I was going to buy a 1998 M3, but the guy flaked on me, so I ended up in a Camry :facepalm:

I work for a multi-brand dealership, and one of our brands is Volvo. A sales guy called me and told me they have a 2004 S60R in on trade, and has 91K miles. It is beat, and needs service. I would say it needs about 3-4K in maintenance and other things for it to be 100%.

I am looking to buy one that has less than 60K miles, and would get an extended warranty --not sure if anyone has used Fidelity, but I get a discount on their warranty. I would like to keep the car until 100K~ miles. I drive less than 10K miles a year (my commute is 5mins).

However, I am a college student, and pay for my own classes, but don't want to go broke just trying to maintain this car. Even though I'll get work done at a discounted rate, sometimes it adds up. I am staying away from a manual because of the slave cylinder issue, and I don't like driving manual much. I know parts are more expensive for the R, but I just want something I can have and not worry about for 5-6 years.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
5-6 years? lol buy an evo

Don't buy a 2004, 2005+ has problems fixed from the first gen that you don't want to worry about, also the interior is nicer on the 2005+

I've had my car for one year (as of July 17th) - driven 20,000 miles (on the dot, actually, as of today) and I've done:
Brakes (not a big deal, but expensive even doing it myself 630$)
Tie rod end (and alignment of course)
Tires (cheap were still 900$)
Slave cylinder (requires removing the transmission)
Fuel pressure sensor
Alarm system siren module

Spark plugs are due soon---

So, I've spent about approximately $2,325 in parts including tires, and even though I do all my own work, besides alignment and tires it still cost still looking at $1,300 in 20,000 miles..

I guess that's not terrible, but an equivalent camRy would probably be nowhere near as much.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I was looking at 2005 or 2006 model years.

Crazyace, why do you say wrong car? What else would you recommend?
Seriously, if you want a "reliable" car get a subaru or something, and DO NOT modify it... Otherwise buy a camRy.

The R is a great car, it's a pleasure to drive, and worth it.. You just don't want to get caught up in the "maybe bills" if anything DOES go wrong.. As you can see my list above, in only one year I've spent over 2K (which would've been in the 5K range if I didn't do work myself.) but I've also driven 20,000 miles to a grand total of 68,000 miles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I've spent about approximately $2,325 in parts including tires, and even though I do all my own work, besides alignment it still cost still looking at $1,300 in 20,000 miles..

I guess that's not terrible, but an equivalent camRy would probably be nowhere near as much.
I know it isn't going to be cheap. Camry parts are cheap compared to Volvo, but this was a temporary car. I won't buy an EVO. I can get parts at cost from work, so I am not worried about the cost of parts/labor.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I know it isn't going to be cheap. Camry parts are cheap compared to Volvo, but this was a temporary car. I won't buy an EVO. I can get parts at cost from work, so I am not worried about the cost of parts/labor.
Apparently I need to learn engrish. lol

The R is a great car man, just be prepared to be frustrated. The trade off is good for driving pleasure and not looking like a BMW driver.

I'm not hating on BMW's, I love them, just don't want to be a "BMW" driver.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You're a student. Stay focused. Get reliable transportation and nothing more. The R is expensive to maintain both in parts and labor. Buy a car where 7 million are on the road (Camry etc); get parts from U-pull-U-pay type yards.
Especially if you're on a budget, anything that could interfere with getting your education should be avoided.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BMW's are expensive. An E36 M3 typically costs about $1200-2000 a year to maintain. The cooling system needs an overhaul, which costs about $600-1000 depending on the parts and if you do it yourself.

Right now I am just seeing my options. I won't buy anything for a month or two. I don't want an EVO/STi because that is not something I like. My other choice is a new Fiat 500 if the S60 R doesn't work out. :cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're a student. Stay focused. Get reliable transportation and nothing more. The R is expensive to maintain both in parts and labor. Buy a car where 7 million are on the road (Camry etc); get parts from U-pull-U-pay type yards.
Especially if you're on a budget, anything that could interfere with getting your education should be avoided.
I would love to keep my Camry, but the miles are getting too high for me (and I hate it. Got it because my old car got totaled and couldn't find anything in time). My parent's said they would help me with a car, and I am looking at Fiat 500's, and other mini cars, but I've always been interested in the S60 R.

Thanks for helping me guys. I guess the search continues!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is too much. I found one in Dallas from the help of a dealer connection. It is a 2005 with 55K miles, autotragic, and they are asking $13K. I can get the platinum extended warranty for another $1500.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
That is too much. I found one in Dallas from the help of a dealer connection. It is a 2005 with 55K miles, autotragic, and they are asking $13K. I can get the platinum extended warranty for another $1500.
Kiddan Mr. Singh! If you're going for the warranty, make sure it covers the parts that are known to fail on the R's- angle gear, collar gear, EXPENSIVE struts, etc etc.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Even better! Automatic though, unless that's what you're looking for or dont care. I can check it out for you if you want.

Sent while in DEFCON Brown.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
05 transmission has torque neutering, so if you like having a fast car that can't go fast, buy it!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Why not just find yourself a nice used T5, Why the R? Do you need AWD?

Cheaper then the R with less problems. T5's can be modded like the R for less. Only draw back I hear of between the T5 and R is torque steer but if you have your hands on the wheel that shouldn't really be a problem :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kiddan Mr. Singh! If you're going for the warranty, make sure it covers the parts that are known to fail on the R's- angle gear, collar gear, EXPENSIVE struts, etc etc.
Didn't know Punjabi's bought Volvo's! :D

I will make sure. I asked one of the Volvo managers today and he said he will find out what Fidelity covers. But he also mentioned that people do a mod by drilling the fluid out and plugging the hole.. I'm not sure what he was talking about. :confused:

05 transmission has torque neutering, so if you like having a fast car that can't go fast, buy it!
I will try to buy a '06 model. The 5AT is okay, but I rather have the 6AT.

Why not just find yourself a nice used T5, Why the R? Do you need AWD?

Cheaper then the R with less problems. T5's can be modded like the R for less. Only draw back I hear of between the T5 and R is torque steer but if you have your hands on the wheel that shouldn't really be a problem :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't mod my cars. Only reason I really wanted the R was for the AWD and the looks. I know I can get an EVO, or an STi/WRX but those cars do nothing for me, and insurance would be too much for me. I will look at the T5, but will try to see what the aftermarket warranty covers. If the problem areas are not covered, then I'll will consider the T5.

So I took the R overnight last night and went for a drive. Took it out on the freeway and the car drives nice. Brakes are very solid, and stop the car fast. The power is very linear, which I liked. I went out towards the mountains, and soon I was about 2 hours away from home :D Turned around and came home at 2AM. Back hurt a little (was in a bad car accident, back is messed up) but the seats are so comfy! I really want this car!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And this car gives pretty good MPG. A little over half a tank when I turned around, and was saying I had 80 miles left when I got home.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I was in a similar situation being a student looking for an R but I ended up with a T5 based on the fact that I was able to get a really good deal (a 2005 w/90k miles and service records for 7k) and the fact that I didn't have an overwhelming need for AWD even though I live in new england.

And this car gives pretty good MPG. A little over half a tank when I turned around, and was saying I had 80 miles left when I got home.
I live right outside of boston and with my 100 mile daily commute (all highway) to my internship and my average mpg is sitting at 28 mpg :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hands down best advice. Stay away from the R.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts