SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First time posting on this forum. I'm looking to buy a pre-facelift C30 T5 manual in the near future, and am wondering is there anything I should be watching out for? I've had experience with compact Volvos in the past (not mechanically, just have been around them), but are there any reliability/wear issues specific to the 30 that I should look out for?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Still driving my 2009 T5 manual and loving it. Knock on wood, it has had zero mechanical issues. The rubber cord attached to the gas cap has recently snapped, but that’s it.

Wife says that car looks much younger than it’s actual age. I’m due for a new car but she says I should hold on to the c30 and pass it on to my daughter. But then I have to teach her about the third petal

Let’s see if others chime in and can offer things to look out for.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’m about ready to sell mine. I’ve been reluctant because I really love this car. I have a foot neuroma and it’s painful to drive with a clutch. It’s in excellent condition. I live outside of Boston. 2013 with 84 k miles.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
T5 engine is almost indestructible as long as you keep up with oil changes and replace the timing belt at 120,000 or ten years, whichever comes sooner...

suspension/steering components and engine mounts tend to start wearing out about the same time...

regularly check for leakage from the T section in the lower radiator hose and replace at first sign of trouble - if that blows you lose all your coolant very rapidly and the engine will be damaged beyond repair before you notice what happened.

·
Registered
142 Posts
T5 engine is almost indestructible as long as you keep up with oil changes and replace the timing belt at 120,000 or ten years, whichever comes sooner...

suspension/steering components and engine mounts tend to start wearing out about the same time...

regularly check for leakage from the T section in the lower radiator hose and replace at first sign of trouble - if that blows you lose all your coolant very rapidly and the engine will be damaged beyond repair before you notice what happened.
would you mind taking a picture at the specific spot?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Teach her. We need more Drivers on the road.
We did first lesson last night and continue sessions this week. I think she was surprised how different it is from an automatic.

Still need to work out if she can use the car in the fall. If not this 2009 manual will go on the market.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check for PCV valve leaks at the oil filter housing

·
Registered
296 Posts
Rear tire wear from excessive camber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
296 Posts
PCV for sure. Leaks , faulty diaphragm causes a whistling sound. Swap it for around 250.00 FCP EURO with lifetime replacement warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
296 Posts
You can buy camber arms from different performance shops. "Massive" camber arms. Whatever. Elevate etc. Obviously by my
signature I use Elevates. They may be a bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for. This if set correctly will help your
new tires from being chewed up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts