SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to buy 2012 S60 T5 or T6

My 2009 G37x is getting long in the tooth. Great power, very reliable but I`m getting bored. I can`t replace my wife (too costly, cheaper to keep her), so the next logical thing to replace and refresh is my car. I looked at Audi, BMW, Mercedes, even Acura. The Germans scare me with their sketchy reliability and lofty price tags as well as maintenance costs. My wife has a 2012 XC60 FWD and we love it. I`d like to get into a 2012 S60 T5 or better yet T6. Which would be better in terms of reliability:confused:

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Go for the T6 engine, it has been built proof in all my vehicles that I've owned it and my other family members. I had zero issues with my 2012 S60RD in terms of reliability; it was a great car.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Go for the T6 engine, it has been built proof in all my vehicles that I've owned it and my other family members. I had zero issues with my 2012 S60RD in terms of reliability; it was a great car.

They made modifications to the 2013+ T5 engine so it might not have the oil consumption problem that some of the 2012s have. More refined drivetrains.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
They made modifications to the 2013+ T5 engine so it might not have the oil consumption problem that some of the 2012s have. More refined drivetrains.

No knocks to the 2013 revised T5 motor, we had it in our 2013 S60 T5AWD, but my wife and I both agreed the T6 was nicer motor, hence why she wanted it for her XC60. We also had zero issues with the T5 motor and had only one warranty claim the whole 3 years and it was for a rear control arm that had a Tech Journal for a fix.

·
Registered
14,459 Posts
I have owned multiple versions of both.

They're both great motors - a lot of the decision depends on what you're looking for. Volvo has been building turbo 5 cylinder engines for over 20 years and the one that is in the current generation of cars is the most refined version yet, save for the oil burning issue some folks have had (see threads) with 2012 cars. I like the T5 because it is more fuel efficient (I was always amazed at the highway mileage I would get), lighter, cheaper to buy, less problems down the road if no AWD, handling seems more "tossable" to me, etc.

I like the T6 because it is more powerful, smoother, feels a little more substantial, safety of AWD, etc. There really isn't a bad choice, just depends on what is important to you. Given that you are coming from a G37x I would imagine you would prefer the T6 but drive both back to back if you can to get a better sense. These cars depreciate so hard you can get a really nice low mile RD for mid to high 20's, which to me is an outright steal.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I have owned multiple versions of both.

They're both great motors - a lot of the decision depends on what you're looking for. Volvo has been building turbo 5 cylinder engines for over 20 years and the one that is in the current generation of cars is the most refined version yet, save for the oil burning issue some folks have had (see threads) with 2012 cars. I like the T5 because it is more fuel efficient (I was always amazed at the highway mileage I would get), lighter, cheaper to buy, less problems down the road if no AWD, handling seems more "tossable" to me, etc.

I like the T6 because it is more powerful, smoother, feels a little more substantial, safety of AWD, etc. There really isn't a bad choice, just depends on what is important to you. Given that you are coming from a G37x I would imagine you would prefer the T6 but drive both back to back if you can to get a better sense. These cars depreciate so hard you can get a really nice low mile RD for mid to high 20's, which to me is an outright steal.
+1.

Some T6 owners have reported oil consumption as well.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...d-on-my-2011-S60-T6&highlight=Oil+consumption

I vote for 2013+ T5. You also get better transmission software in the '13.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My 2002 5 cylinder has 191k on it now. The engine and transmission have been flawless. Oil consumption is still very low (I don't add between changes). If I had the money I would be looking for 14+ T5 AWD.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do mostly hwy, so the added efficiency of the T5 Fwd would be great. We had a 2006 xc90 2.5T but it was disgustingly thirsty. I hope that in this application the 5 cyl is more efficient.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think the XC90 and S60 are apples and oranges. The T5 was improved over the years and the S60 doesn't have to deal with the added weight and brick-like aerodynamics.

Have had my 2014 T5 AWD for 1.5 yrs. Great car all around.

TJ

·
Registered
10 Posts
I traded a 2003 G35 MT coupe for a 2012 S60 T6 AWD. As I recall, the T5s back then mostly came with the "Touring" suspension, the T6 with the Dynamic suspension. Neither car handles like the G35, but the Dynamic suspension is closer to the G35 in terms of handling.

The 6-banger in the T6 is a sweet engine. Lots of punch, very smooth. T5 from that year sounded like a diesel (drove a new one recently that was much better).

Recommend the AWD. Predict you will hate the FWD after the G37x (I think T6 that year was only available AWD, but the T5 could be had either FWD or RWD).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Unless fuel economy is the main concern, go with the 6. You'll love the smoothness and power. And, if you want/need AWD, it's the icing on the cake. We've had six cylinder AWD Volvos since they became available, and they've never let us down!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I do mostly hwy, so the added efficiency of the T5 Fwd would be great. We had a 2006 xc90 2.5T but it was disgustingly thirsty. I hope that in this application the 5 cyl is more efficient.
We average 26 mpg with mixed driving. 30 on the highway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This doesn't address your questions directly but my experiences so far: I purchased a 2013 T5 FWD about a month and a half ago and put on about 500 miles of mostly city driving. My "commute" is 4.5 mi with 18 traffic lights or stop signs each way and have averaged 17 mpg. The car is nicer and more refined than my previous cars but I find it a bit boring. I attribute that to my stop and go commute and my previous cars being MT, so an AT is not as engaging. I would think a T5 AWD or T6 would be a bit more fun to drive but I didn't test drive any. This is my first Volvo, so I can't comment on reliability.

·
Registered
105 Posts
As a owner of the T6, I would advise for that one, but as Wayne said, it's really about what's important to you: fuel efficiency vs acceleration. I did test drive both and I opted for guts and completely disregarded the fuel consumption. If you can get a R-Design or a regular T6 with the Polestar, even better. There's even a few guys on here who made the leap to a bigger downpipe and intercooler, squeezing even a bit more power out of the engine. Not much in the way of mods for the current T5, but as is, the T5 still has plenty of pep for most driving situations. Identifying your priority and a test drive of both will help you far more than our opinions. Either way, you won't go wrong.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I have been very happy with my 2012 T5......46K miles.

·
Registered
586 Posts
When I was shopping for a new T5 on the 2012/2013 cusp I opted for the '13 because it has 1 MPG better fuel economy (combined, I think), which coincided with Volvo's claim of reduced friction for the '13 version of that engine. Also, I think the 13 gear shift lever is much cooler than the 12's.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
When I was shopping for a new T5 on the 2012/2013 cusp I opted for the '13 because it has 1 MPG better fuel economy (combined, I think), which coincided with Volvo's claim of reduced friction for the '13 version of that engine. Also, I think the 13 gear shift lever is much cooler than the 12's.
You are right. And the 2011-12 shifter lever is lame to be sure!

·
Registered
319 Posts
With all its flaws, my 2011 T6 puts a smile on my face every time I drive. And the smoothness is noticeable versus the T5 (I drove both). One can get used to the sound and feel of the T5 (it has character), but the T6 is just sweet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts