SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a 05 s40 with 130k on it, not having owned one of these , I was curious as to what things to know about these and what to look for. It is a fwd ,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Make sure the timing belt has been done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
At 130k, the standard volvo check list would apply.. Proof that the timing belt and components were done, pcv system is functioning but probably has to be done, maintenance records, and then standard high mileage car stuff like wheel bearings, struts, steering rack, suspension ball joints and bushings, accessories still functional, brakes, axle boots aren't torn, etc..

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Check the coolant reservoir and the engine mounts under the coolant tank. Make sure the AC blows cold air for 20+ minutes. All stuff I wish I checked before I bought mine

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw the car on Craigslist , ask the owner about a few things and the only thing I got out of them was that the timing belt has been replaced Twice and they think the water pump was replaced. Some people when selling their cars are so clueless. The good thing is they don't live to far from me so I just might go and check it out anyway

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
You can look up the vin on carfax for maintenance logs for free too. I use their app to track my maintenance so I know what I've done and when.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Things I wish I knew how to check before going in: Front strut (any leaks?, push on each side of the car to hear for noises and see if suspension pushes back), wheel bearing (Was it replaced at all? Because you'll have to at some point soon), alternator (hard to check but both mine and my dad's s40 had to be replaced), any cracks on the coolant reservoir? What kind of gas have they been using (should be premium)? Pretty much everything that Ou2mame mentioned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts