SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the posts on the T6 and tranny problems.....but

I am looking into an 04 XC90 T6 with 140k on it. The tranny was just replaced last month ($5K) and the regular maintenance was done the vehicle looks like its in real nice shape. The seller recently purchased a minivan hence the reason for the xc90 up for sale, price is in the low $6k range. What are your thoughts on it.

After they replaced the tranny it developed a bad power steering leak so I am expecting to put in some money for that if I got for it.

thanks

·
Registered
785 Posts
see if you can locate the leak visually before buying it, I'd be willing to take a chance at $6k or so. I would change the transmission fluid immediately to a full synthetic, Redline is my recommendation. Was the radiator replaced when the transmission was ?- IF so that is even better, if not I would highly consider bypassing the radiator based transmission fluid cooler with an aftermarket thermostatically controlled transmission fluid cooler.
Is the replaced transmission under a transferable warranty ? IF so I wouldn't bypass the factory cooling circuit until the warranty is up.

I would take it a Volvo dealer or a Volvo indie you trust and have them put in on a rack and check it for any concerns. They will probably look at you like you are crazy :)

Keep in mind you might find/a nice high mileage V70 T5/GLT/XC wagon for $6K, say 2004 or newer without the known weak point.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you elaborate a bit, I understand the reasoning behind it - is there a write up on it or a discussion somewhere.

Thanks

·
Registered
785 Posts
There are plenty of good posts on here regarding the GM transmission used in these vehicles, you should search the S80 forum 1999-2006 too as the P2 S80 T6 used the same automatic. I believe there is a write up in the S80 forum about a guy who replaced his transmission with a "hardened" rebuild. Volvo has suggested that contamination of the transmission fluid with coolant has occurred due to radiator cooling circuit failures. You can avoid that issue completely by using a thermostatically controlled transmission cooler and bypassing the radiator based cooling circuit. I recommended Redline transmission fluid due to the very high flash point it inherently has and good reputation it has, IPD has recommended their fluids in the past.

You maybe better of using a Google site search (site:Swedespeed.com) then using the websites internal search feature, I seem to fine what I am looking for faster that way.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
well you can put some money on the steering leak, but save cause you will need more later to replace the tranny again. For me? keep your money and a V8, V6 or 2.5T.

·
Registered
668 Posts
well you can put some money on the steering leak, but save cause you will need more later to replace the tranny again. For me? keep your money and a V8, V6 or 2.5T.
Volvo offered a V6? Perhaps you meant the 3.2 I6 that is naturally aspirated, which is not the same engine as the twin turbo 2.9L T6.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
ups sorry 3.2L in-line

·
Registered
785 Posts
Read This: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?130656-S80-transmission-rebuild

780,760,260 had a V6 but that's ancient history; I believe there was/is someone that posts on here that tows that is over 100K on their T6 XC90 but has an auxiliary transmission cooler and changes the fluid annually. I believe the guy in the S80 forum that eventually had Triple Edge rebuild his had 140K miles on his S80's original automatic (yes I know its lighter) before it was rebuilt. Knowing that Triple Edge can rebuild the transmission to a hardened specification is comforting and is a route to go if it did fail in the near future, plus the possibility to do an ECU upgrade for power:

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/Transmissions.html

"4T65EV/GT Volvo model - $1699.95
Volvo used this model transmission in a few select models including the S80 and the XC90 during the model years of 1999-2006. This version of the 4T65E is NOT compatible with any GM vehicle as visable in the above pictures and has a number of differences. Due to the low production numbers of these transmissions compared to the GM version the core availability is very limited and because of this we require you to send us your existing transmission to rebuild. There is a great deal of attention and time that goes into each and every rebuild and there are also a few common failure areas, especially in the 99-02 models, and these are addressed and upgraded during the rebuild. Below is a list of items that are replaced and are included as an upgrade in every 4T65EV/GT Volvo version rebuild. For High Performance applications for upgraded T6 models please look at our 4T65E High Performance rebuild for details."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts