SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got a sweet job and I feel that before I dump money into my P2R I’d just pull the trigger on my beloved P*. Reading on how the old MY16s are going down in price, makes me really want to snag one now. My only thing is, should I save for a newer one or grab the I6? I LOVE my wife’s 2015.5 T6 XC60, and I wouldn’t mind getting one, but not sure of all the changes made in the 17-18 ones. I’ve seen things about different transmission tuning and all, but what are some main features it got added in?

I’m sure there are posts about it, I’m burrowing through now but if someone can help me out with a link or info I’d appreciate it.

PS, anyone want to buy my R? Lmao!

Thanks guys!
-Andrew

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
The '17 and '18 model years have the twin charged four cylinder motor and an eight speed transmission. They're also a bit lighter and one member reports a tighter turning radius.

The '15.5 and '16 model years have the turbocharged 3 liter inline six and the 6 speed automatic. The sound of that six in sport mode (or even regular) is otherworldly.

I think the newer version is a tad quicker and has a secret launch mode.

The best thing would be to try to drive both and go with the one that feels the best to you.

Have fun with your search - they're wonderful cars!

·
Registered
627 Posts
FYI, the 3L also have launch mode. I drive my 3L in manual mode 90% of the time and find the gearing of the 6 speed good, for me the 8 speed would have me shifting (manually) way too often. I also
think the 3L exhaust sound is glorious with the exhaust flaps open.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
FYI, the 3L also have launch mode. I drive my 3L in manual mode 90% of the time and find the gearing of the 6 speed good, for me the 8 speed would have me shifting (manually) way too often. I also
think the 3L exhaust sound is glorious with the exhaust flaps open.
How do you access launch mode in the 3L again? But isn't there a "super secret" launch mode in the 2L cars? For some reason I thought there was something different.

·
Registered
160 Posts
How do you access launch mode in the 3L again? But isn't there a "super secret" launch mode in the 2L cars? For some reason I thought there was something different.
The "undocumented" mode is Sport+ - move the shift lever to sport and push up on it. While doing that, tap the left paddle on the steering wheel twice. The sport indicator will then blink twice.

This will keep the RPMs north of 4k so that the turbo is always at boost and ready to roll. If you've ever driven a Honda that has VTEC, it's like telling the engine to stay in VTEC engagement range permanently - it's too manic for regular street use IMO, but I could totally see this as being useful on an autocross course or on the track.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The '17 and '18 model years have the twin charged four cylinder motor and an eight speed transmission. They're also a bit lighter and one member reports a tighter turning radius.

The '15.5 and '16 model years have the turbocharged 3 liter inline six and the 6 speed automatic. The sound of that six in sport mode (or even regular) is otherworldly.

I think the newer version is a tad quicker and has a secret launch mode.

The best thing would be to try to drive both and go with the one that feels the best to you.

Have fun with your search - they're wonderful cars!
Totally agree. In regards to turning radius, if you go to https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-us/models/v60/2015/specifications and select the T6 AWD RD (the polestar isn't listed for some reason) which has the same transversely mounted 3.0L inline 6, Volvo reports it as 39 feet.

If you go to https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-us/models/v60/2018/specifications and select the V60 Polestar, which has the B4204T43 Drive-E inline 4, it is listed as 29.5 feet. That nearly 10 feet difference, which is huge.

The 8 speed does rev match downshifts and shifts quicker. Car and Driver reports 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, and I've confirmed it when using launch mode with ESC off.

The sound of the Drive E is ok when both exhaust valves are open. The inline 6 however sounds absolutely glorious.

I was fortunate to test drive both and went with the Drive E variant. I still miss the sound of the inline 6 (sniff).

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
As you probably know, the 3 liter RD has a totally different wheel/brake/suspension set-up so it's hard to draw a turning radius comparison to what the 3 liter Polestar would be - there's more to determining turning radius than engine and transmission. It could be 42 feet or it could be 33 feet - we really don't know. I'm curious so I will measure and report back.

Volvo's own reported information which you linked above, shows 37.1 feet for the 2016 Drive E and the same 37.1 feet for the very similar 2017 Drive E with 205 width tires and then 29.5 feet with 235 width tires. What's odd to me is that typically the turning radius increases with larger wheels and larger width tires that don't have has much space to turn in the wheel wells but in this case it's actually smaller?

Wall to wall turning radius is interesting too because it reports the 2017 Polestar at 40.7 feet. How could that be if the curb to curb is 29.5 feet?

Volvo's numbers do tend to be all over the place from time to time and sometimes things get lost in translation.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
My V60 Polestar turns on a dime compared to my V70R!

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
My V60 Polestar turns on a dime compared to my V70R!
Yes it does. What were the P2R's like 45 ft? I mastered the seven point turn when I had mine!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Yes it does. What were the P2R's like 45 ft? I mastered the seven point turn when I had mine!
My V70R next to a V60P*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just picked up a ‘16 S60 and my roommate just got a ‘17 V60 and while they are both amazing there are definite differences.

The S60 having the in-line 6 has instant power and makes it harder to drive like a ‘normal’ car. The sound it makes is orgasmic compared, not that the v60 isn’t it’s just better in the s60 imo. The s60 does have launch control, just no secret sport+ mode, not that I’d have many places to use it haha.

The V60 rev matches the down shifts which makes it feel like someone driving a manual. It also has a higher pitched exhaust note, but the best exhaust feature is it has a burp when shifting up that is very nice. This one also has auto stop start and an eco+ button which the s60 does not have.

Both are solid choices. Mine is Rebel blue and my roommates V60 is Onyx Black Metallic. Having come from a ‘10 XC60 that everything was creaking this car feels super solid and well built. It will surely last a long time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got my 2016 P* second hand for 21K USD, a lot of car for the money. I think the I6 plays a massive role in the experience. I don't think I would've bought it if it was the 4 cylinder.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Got my 2016 P* second hand for 21K USD, a lot of car for the money. I think the I6 plays a massive role in the experience. I don't think I would've bought it if it was the 4 cylinder.

Wow, that's cheap - how many miles?

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
50k Kms

yeah I paid just a little bit more than that and it had more miles, but is CPO, so smoking deal there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I sold my S60R and bought a 2018 S60 Polestar back in November. With the four cylinder at least, the turning radius is much improved over the R.

I loved the six cylinder P* too and it does sound great, but feel like the transmission improvement is too great to ignore. That was always the weak spot of the older cars and it just felt out of step with other comparable offerings (*cough* S4) — at least from my perspective!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
The extra 2 gears do nothing really performance wise.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
When you drive a 2016 and a 2017 P* back-to-back, you realize there are a lot of differences. The transmission especially so - shifts are significantly quicker, smoother, and rev-matched. That and the improved turning radius sealed the deal for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts