SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read a few discussions on Swedespeed regarding this topic but some were older

Does anyone have an opinion on this subject?

2005 GT occasional spirited driving and no tracking

I would like to take this opportunity to make a visual change to the car. I read for and against slotted and drilled but would like to get a recent experience

If I have overlooked a recent article about this very subject please forward that to me and except my apologies

Been awhile since I have logged in. If anyone is still around and remembers me I hope you are doing well

Thank you

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I put a set of Adam's Rotors on myself. I went with the black ceramic coated hats and just the simple slotted rotors, but they have quite a variety and their rotors seem well made. Rotors are made to order, so expect a 3-4 week lead time if you go that route. I was also considering Power Slot rotors. I put Hawk HPS pads on with the new rotors, although they're less dusty and seem to perform okay, I think I prefer the feel of the stock pads.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I highly recommend the setup I currently have. Put over 10k on it so far and it's working great.

Centric Slotted Rotors with Carbotech "street" pads. These pads are absolutely amazing and I have had NO brake bust. A bit pricey but they are absolutely the best.

I would go with slotted over drilled rotors because drilled can cause warping and cracking as happened to a friends Brembo's twice. They were on his Jetta which weighs much less than an R.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Anyone have any idea what the stock front and rear R rotors weigh?

How about the weight of Front and Rear Powerslot Rotors that IPD sells for R Models?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I highly recommend the setup I currently have. Put over 10k on it so far and it's working great.

Centric Slotted Rotors with Carbotech "street" pads. These pads are absolutely amazing and I have had NO brake bust. A bit pricey but they are absolutely the best.

I would go with slotted over drilled rotors because drilled can cause warping and cracking as happened to a friends Brembo's twice. They were on his Jetta which weighs much less than an R.
Thanks for the advice. Where is the best place to get them?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
If you go with power slots....like IPD sells..buy through Amazon....waaaayyy cheaper

I have them and they work awesome.. I have Elevate pads too...with Takspeed lines...brakes are crazy

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Anyone have any idea what the stock front and rear R rotors weigh?

How about the weight of Front and Rear Powerslot Rotors that IPD sells for R Models?
Stock are around 21lbs. Powerslot will weigh about the same.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I put a set of Adam's Rotors on myself. I went with the black ceramic coated hats and just the simple slotted rotors, but they have quite a variety and their rotors seem well made. Rotors are made to order, so expect a 3-4 week lead time if you go that route. I was also considering Power Slot rotors. I put Hawk HPS pads on with the new rotors, although they're less dusty and seem to perform okay, I think I prefer the feel of the stock pads.

+1 for Adam's Rotors.

Over dimpled pattern here.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I did the Power Slot with hawk HPS - I have the HPS on my S40, which is a huge improvement over stock, but in the case of the R it really isn't. I wouldn't necessarily buy them again for the R, however for smaller brake setups yes. As far as the rotors, I like the PS rotors, except now you (or I should say I) can get OEM Brembo rotors from Napa for less than $80 each....

My cost on Zimmerman front 285.5mm rotors is $73.02, napa's "premium brand" is only $60 each.. Good deal.

Oh - and if you're cool with the people at your local napa, they'll hook up these prices.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I have 2 years and over 40k miles on my front rotors, Powerslots from iPD, drilled and slotted. No warping, no problems. Rears are OEM and soon to be swapped for Powerslots, slotted only. Pads are currently the Monroe ceramics all around, they work well enough but put out a lot of dust. I am also soon to swap them for a set of HPS, all around.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I have 2 years and over 40k miles on my front rotors, Powerslots from iPD, drilled and slotted. No warping, no problems. Rears are OEM and soon to be swapped for Powerslots, slotted only. Pads are currently the Monroe ceramics all around, they work well enough but put out a lot of dust. I am also soon to swap them for a set of HPS, all around.
Rather than the HPS, try EBC Yellows. Stop harder than HPS, but don't last as long..

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Rather than the HPS, try EBC Yellows. Stop harder than HPS, but don't last as long..
Maybe at the next swap out I will. I just got the HPC rears from a SS Classified ad and the fronts are in the mail. Thanks for the information though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts