SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to find or make some high-quality wood trim pieces for the dash (and possibly doors?) for my 1990 240DL wagon. The only kit still being made on the planet according to my web search is not bad, but it's very basic, with small pieces. The one I like better used larger pieces of wood and covered more of the dash -- but the manufacturer has gone out of business. That's what I was told when I tried to order the kit last week.

So I'm looking for photos, drawings/patterns, other design ideas or inspirations for my talented woodworker brother who's offered to make the kit for me.

... or if you know of any manufacturers out there still making these kits for the 240, please let me know.

Thanks.

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Looking for wood dash trim design ideas/patterns/sources - 245 (Bigscreen Bob)

Welcome to Swedespeed, Robert.

You are spot-on about the paucity of wood kits for the 240. Even the instrument white-out kit has hidden itself somewhere in the bowels of google.

Seems like a talented person could work up patterns then visit a crafts shop for glue-on veneers of choice.

Interested?

George Dill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Looking for wood dash trim design ideas/patterns/sources - 245 (gdill2)

Plan A is just to use the OEM trim pieces as a pattern. Then simply add to that perhaps with a piece around the radio/vent, and around the instrument panel. My brother's made door handles and other amazing trim pieces out of wood for his Volvo 1800, so I'm sure he can handle a 240.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Looking for wood dash trim design ideas/patterns/sources - 245 (gdill2)

Sure, I'll be happy to share photos. He's in Tasmania for a year, away from his workshop, so it will take a while to get photos of his 1800 woodwork, as well as the 240 trim we've got planned. The 240 trim will be made with real rosewood, which will work beautifully with the 240's blue exterior and blue/black interior. Give us a five months. I'm thinking of buying some old 240 trim pieces so he can have them on hand as patterns. I can probably find those on ebay, if not a local junk yard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts