SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I'm looking into getting a set of summer only max performance tires for my AWD T5 S40. I've looked at a bunch of tires on TR but can't come to a descision...maybe you guys could help...here's what I want in order of importance
1) Handling ie grip
2) light weight
3)dry performance
4) wet performance
5) tread life
Thanks!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Re: Looking for some new tires (XK120)

I am on my third set of Bridgestone Potenza S03's and have loved them from the first miles I put on the first set. VERY CONFIDENCE INDUCING tires, as I have never second-guessed them in performance driving in the wet, including downpours! For dry driving, they are phenomenal!

I used them for track days at Road Atlanta, and they gave me the edge that I was looking for in some tight spots, without any squeel or noise of abuse in their handling--running eight pounds of air over OE spec. per the recommendations of the Panoz Racing instructors. My 2000 S40 is equipped with the IPD rear sway bar and their strut tower brace, and as you read, I am using the Koni yellow sport shocks and struts, which does add to the handling of the vehicle.

The secret to good wear is to keep a close eye on the thread wear; I own a thread depth guage, and the S03's are rotated immediately when there is a difference of only ONE THIRTY-SECOND of rubber between the front and rear set. I get between 20,000--22,000 from a set prior to wear to the wear bars at two thirty seconds. Always measure the tire crown, as the tire is made with more rubber on the shoulders vs. a new crown of about nine thirty seconds. http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

1 - 2 of 2 Posts