SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am looking to replace my tires as they are approaching 50,000 miles.
My mechanic has recommended the following tires:

Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S
Michelin Premier A/S

Price is no issue for either of these and my independent Volvo mechanic has never given me bad advice. The local Volvo dealership tried to screw me twice on service.

I live in Minnesota and we have to deal with winter driving. I've done some research and it seems like these two are close to par for quality.

Does anyone have experience with either of these brands, or a clear "favorite" they would go with.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires on my 2007 S80 V8. Very pleased in inclement weather performance, both rain and snow.

My wife's BMW AWD coupe has the Pirelli Cinturate P7 tires. My Volvo is clearly more stable in the rain and snow as compared to her BMW 428xi.

Check tirerack.com for ratings.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you live in MN, get a dedicated set of snow/winter tires. Bridgestone Blizzak or Michelin X-Ice. The two sets of wheels will potentially last you twice as long. The handing is night and day when driving in the snow. As for your recommended tires, they're fine. I'm currently running Pirelli PZero All Season Plus, and i like them.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Another shout for the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. I have had them on my car for two years. Good grip on dry, wet or snow.

·
Registered
273 Posts
3rd hand raised for the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Best tire I have had on this car.

A cheaper alternative is the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble. I would stay away from the Michelin pilot sports as they are junk. I am currently running these on a set of wheels and they brake loose in all weather conditions.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
3rd hand raised for the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Best tire I have had on this car.

A cheaper alternative is the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble. I would stay away from the Michelin pilot sports as they are junk. I am currently running these on a set of wheels and they brake loose in all weather conditions.
Michelin Pilot Sports come in 4 variants only one is an A/S All Season tire, the other 3 are Summer tires, if you have one of those they will BREAK loose on less than dry pavement

·
Registered
2,148 Posts

The Pilots on my Cayman turn to hockey pucks below 40 deg F. Michelin also states that they should not be driven below 40 because they will crack. They are sold as high performance summer tires so there is some truth in their advertising.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts