SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 04 s60R and in a year or 2 I want to possibly buy a sedan with a v8. I might go through with it, might just keep my R for longer, depends if I find a good deal. I love the manual trans in my R but I'm willing to trade it off for a smooth comfortable sedan with decent power. Some of the other cars I've been looking at were infiniti m45, q45, ls430, ls400, charger R/T, screw caddies, mercs, & bmws they're pieces of ****. Since I'm a fan of volvo's (my R is my 2nd volvo so far) I've been looking at some s80s with the 4.4L v8, but I wanna hear from you guys what's it like to own one. They seem pretty cheap to buy, like $7k for one with 100k miles.

As far as I can see the v8s come with AWD standard, but it doesn't seem like a big deal since the s80s don't use the expensive 4c suspension that my R has. Struts seem a hell of a lot cheaper than my R so that's pretty appealing. I live in PA so I don't necessarily need AWD but as long as its reliable or at the very least cheap to replace parts it's not a huge deal.

The engine seems reliable from what I've read around, but any input would be helpful. What's the real world MPG you guys are getting from it? I'm getting something like 16/17 city and around 24 hwy with my R so I'm use to those kinds of figures. I wouldn't be surprised if the V8 has the same amount or a bit worse.

This wouldn't be a car I'd want to mod at all. Even with my R I don't want to mod it, only thing I did was an exhaust to make it louder, I doubt I'd even do that to an s80, so I don't really care about the aftermarket support.

How's it like to actually drive? Is the turning radius as bad as a pickup truck like in my R? Is it relatively quick for what it is? Does the transmission slug around when accelerating? I remember when I did research on the p3 s60s that the Aisin TF-80SC transmission likes to crap out, any issues from any of you guys with that trans? The p3 s60s seem to have a lot of issues with oil consumption so I won't consider one of those, so as long as the v8 in the s80s doesn't have massive problems it might really be something I'd consider if I find one at the right time in my price range.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The S80 V8 can come with 4c, but it is a much better system than the R and lasts longer. The transmissions are pretty good as long as they aren’t affected by the defective valve bodies. This was fixed during the 07MY.

Rear diffs are known to fail and cost a lot of money to fix. I spent 5k last year replacing the rear diff and the angle gear that stripped out.

Anything that breaks in or around the engine can be a lot to fix if you don’t do it yourself, but the engine seems to be the most reliable part. Just look valve cover gasket/timing cover oil leaks. Also make sure the awd works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't know they can come with 4c, that's surprising. Guess it depends if it was optioned in when first purchased? At what miles did the rear diff and angle gear fail for your s80? From your post it seems like what I need to look out for in my R might apply for an s80 as well, at least when it comes to stuff like angle gears and fixing random stuff that might break around the engine.

Anyone have any info if the fuel pumps like to fail prematurely? First s60 I had was a base that needed a new fuel pump at 89k miles, my R needed a new one when I bought it at 140k. Seems like a common issue with volvos that I'm use to lol.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My rear diff was replaced at exactly 100k miles, but made a lot of noise for a few thousand miles before that. The angle gear went at about 105k. I bought the car with 59k miles and had to replace the water pump, radiator, a few coolant hoses, haldex pump and pressure sensor, blower motor fan (big job that’s a common failure), a couple engine mounts. The alternator and transmission were replaced before I bought the car.

They are really nice if you get one with ventilated seats, active bending headlights, blind spot monitor, and the adaptive cruise. I would get an 08 or newer though without the 4C

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely see if the car has any service history or if the owner can prove he did some of those items before going out and fully committing to buying one. Honestly all of those items don't seem that bad except the trans had to be replaced, guessing that was a defective valve body like you mentioned before you purchased the car? You mentioned how that issue was fixed in 07+ models so I'm assuming you have an 06? Everything else seems pretty similar maintenance wise for an R so I can see myself affording an s80. If I find a good deal on one with some kind of service history I might just end up getting one. I'll trust your advice on getting an 08+, definitely without 4c.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For the valve body, there was a specific revision that corrected the issue from what I remember. There's a thread around here, but I think anything after revision 06J(?) fixed it? I think earlier 07 S80 V8s could have the earlier revisions.

And with fuel economy, I've tracked mine over the year I've had it. Averaging 13.5 litres/100 km in southwestern Ontario, so dealing with winter etc. Surprised me as my 06 XC70 averaged 12.4 litres/100 km, so not really that bad.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?304297-2006-2008-TF-80SC-Automatic-Transmission-Valve-Body-Issue-amp-Serial-Number-Info

This is the thread for the valve body. 06J later revisions corrected the issue. My 07 has an 06L revision.

Also with regards to the transmission, it just seems less refined sometimes. I originally thought I had a bad valve body, but it's just the transmission being dopey and jerky at times.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Just replaced a Valve Body on my 07 with the supposed 06L revision fix, which obviously isn`t a complete fix. The transmission being dopey and jerky is the Valve Body, mine was and with the new Valve Body isn`t, yours will just get worse. 68K total miles on car. It`s not that hard a job to do yourself, but you need to be a decent amateur wrench turner. $1300 for a new OEM Valve Body from Volvo, which is the only way to go. If you can get a hold of a Sonnax rebuilt unit that`s OK, but they are usually available only to professional shops. You can kind of justify the cost by realizing the V8 has timing chains and not a belt so it does not ever have to be changed, so you save some money in that respect.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I stand corrected then. Some previous threads had some input on the transmission being kinda dopey. Guess I'll be looking then.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You don`t need to fix it until you start getting flares with a bang. It could be years before that happens. For now it`s just an annoyance. I think the transmission being dopey comments are just wishful thinking that`s the way they are. After a Valve Body change I can say that they are decidedly not dopey.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
The S80 V8 can come with 4c, but it is a much better system than the R and lasts longer. ….

Does the 4C on the S60 really last less than 70,000 miles? My S80 was all highway, with 113K it still has the original front brakes. The guy I bought it from with 59k drove from Denver to Lincoln and back over 30 times. The front 4Cs were gone at 70K.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Does the 4C on the S60 really last less than 70,000 miles? My S80 was all highway, with 113K it still has the original front brakes. The guy I bought it from with 59k drove from Denver to Lincoln and back over 30 times. The front 4Cs were gone at 70K.
The 4C on the P2 R doesn’t last as long as the second generation 4C, and isn’t as refined. A lot of R owners have issues with the suspension crashing over bumps even when operating normally

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lots of good info, thanks guys. I'll def stay away from the 06/07 s80s. That's the good thing about owning my R (among other things), I never have to worry about the trans with the m66 as long as I keep it maintained. Gonna keep an eye out for 08/09 s80s with the v8 without 4c, should have a pretty nice car on my hands if I can manage it.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Lots of good info, thanks guys. I'll def stay away from the 06/07 s80s. That's the good thing about owning my R (among other things), I never have to worry about the trans with the m66 as long as I keep it maintained. Gonna keep an eye out for 08/09 s80s with the v8 without 4c, should have a pretty nice car on my hands if I can manage it.
I don't think there is a 06 V8. The 07s with the transmission issue are the early ones. take the potential valve body into account with the price if the car is right.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you like a more stiffer ride, I do then look out for a S80 with the dynamic suspension. These are rare but you get the sportier ride using regular shocks instead of the $800 4C shocks. The dynamic suspension also lowered the ride height by like 1/2-1".

Note, if you are looking for HIDs, then on the 07/08 MYs it was included with the 4C package. I think starting with the 09 MY the HIDs were a standalone option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My rear diff was replaced at exactly 100k miles, but made a lot of noise for a few thousand miles before that. The angle gear went at about 105k. I bought the car with 59k miles and had to replace the water pump, radiator, a few coolant hoses, haldex pump and pressure sensor, blower motor fan (big job that’s a common failure), a couple engine mounts. The alternator and transmission were replaced before I bought the car.

They are really nice if you get one with ventilated seats, active bending headlights, blind spot monitor, and the adaptive cruise. I would get an 08 or newer though without the 4C

Hello, fellow S80 V8 owner here with only 55k. For future reference, what mileage approximately did you replace the pumps,blower motor fans, and engine mounts? What mileage and/or what were some of the signs that you had a problem with the angle gear? Thanks

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hello, fellow S80 V8 owner here with only 55k. For future reference, what mileage approximately did you replace the pumps,blower motor fans, and engine mounts? What mileage and/or what were some of the signs that you had a problem with the angle gear? Thanks
The water pump started making noise around 70k miles and the pulley broke off very shortly after. Blower motor is a common issue, mine was making noise and it completely stopped working before I replaced it. Angle gear had no warning, just stripped out pretty violently making a turn. Rear diff was very loud as well. This was all before 100k

·
Registered
438 Posts
Engine Subframe rust is an issue for cars in states where they use salt on the roads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts