SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swedespeed has been a great resource as we need to replace our aging 2001 V70XC.

My wife has narrowed the search to include three cars:

1. 2009 XC90 V8 with 38K miles, BLIS, Nav, rear seat DVD system. This is a non CPO vehicle and an extended warranty would most likely be added.

2. 2009 XC90 V8 Executive with 64K miles, BLIS, Nav, back up camera, rear heated seats, bluetooth, side steps, rear seat DVD. This is a CPO vehicle and would give us 3 years of coverage.

3. 2011 Dodge Durango V8 Citadel that is loaded and carries the factory original 3 year 36,000 mile warranty.

The two XC90's are well priced in my market and have similar price tags. The Durango would run a premium of $7000 over the XC90, however it is sold as a new vehicle.

I am looking for some sage advice here as my wife has become enamored with the Executive and I am struggling with the higher mileage. Admittedly, the Executive has been tops in all our test drives and has a sparkling Carfax report.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Back with a mini update. Due to its quirky looks and truck like feel and ride, option three, the Durango, has been eliminated. I guess if you dig the Volvo look, it's hard to stray.

Again, I'd love to hear some of you experts discuss and compare the two XC90's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm no expert, but I have done a bit of research and I'd go with option 2 as the new V8's don't have the intermidiate shaft issues as the earlier ones did and it already has the CPO warranty so no need to shell out more money for an extended warranty. 64k miles is nothing on theses cars so I'd say enjoy it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If well maintained and cared for, a gasoline engines life expectancy is 300,000km (186,412 miles). Diesel engines will exceed 500,000km (310,685 miles). Considering you would have a warranty I would expect you would be able to work out any bugs at no cost to you. Every vehicle will at some point have a malfunction of some sort, XC90's have been around for ten years and have sorted out all the major issues or there are after market retailers that have designed upgraded parts for common issues. For example IPD USA has aftermarket Bilstein upper strut mount bearings and heavy duty spring seats that have solved items that in the past were high wear parts. Akebono make a great set of brakes for Volvos that are a favorite of the Volvo crowd.

My vote is for the 2009 XC90 V8 Executive.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Seems as if you've already eliminated the least sensible option and you're choosing between two good remaining options. Given the CPO status of the younger car the trade off basically boils down to 26k miles worth of depreciation differential versus the options, the additional cost of a non-CPO warranty (assuming that the non-CPO warranty is at least as strong as the CPO one). I'd prolly take option 2, but you have to sort out that equivalency for yourself. I am a little surprised that the dealer can CPO that car, I thought the cutoff was 60k miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the help, here's update number 2:

We have purchased the Executive XC90 and are anxiously awaiting its delivery. Currently, we're waiting on a complete detail, parking lot dent removal and a swap of tires.

Straight from Volvo in regards to its CPO parameters:

7. Strict eligibility rules
It takes a special kind of Volvo to even be eligible for our CPO program: it must be the current model year or no more than 6 years old (e.g., in 2012, eligible model years are 2007-2012), its mileage must be 80,000 miles or fewer, it must have a “clean” CARFAX Vehicle History Report, and it must be reconditioned to meet all Volvo Certified Comprehensive Inspection standards.

I will try to post some photos once the car is in our possession.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thank you for all the help, here's update number 2:

We have purchased the Executive XC90 and are anxiously awaiting its delivery. Currently, we're waiting on a complete detail, parking lot dent removal and a swap of tires.

Straight from Volvo in regards to its CPO parameters:

7. Strict eligibility rules
It takes a special kind of Volvo to even be eligible for our CPO program: it must be the current model year or no more than 6 years old (e.g., in 2012, eligible model years are 2007-2012), its mileage must be 80,000 miles or fewer, it must have a “clean” CARFAX Vehicle History Report, and it must be reconditioned to meet all Volvo Certified Comprehensive Inspection standards.

I will try to post some photos once the car is in our possession.
Congrats! And thanks for the posting, for some reason 6 & 60 was sticking in my mind. As I mentioned to another guy in a post on another forum I actually had 2 dealers lie to me about those criteria when explaining why a car wasn't CPO. One told me that a 2007 wasn't eligible because it was too old (last year) and another that a car with 55k wasn't eligible because it had too many miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Back with another update.

My wife is quite enamored with the car, particularly its power, acceleration and comfort. We have owned the car for a couple of weeks now and just finished a 600 mile day trip cruising around the Eastern portion of Washington State. It was my first time really getting to settle in with the car and understand its road manners. I am impressed, the overall ride quality and comfort is significantly better than our 2001 V70 XC and our fuel economy was only slightly less. We averaged 21.6 mpg at 73 mph for the trip and that was fully loaded with family, full AC and all the extra Executive package appointments in use.

Here's a photo of the car taken just before dusk at an one of our many stops.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nice looking car. The Wheels and step bar look great. Good luck

·
Registered
564 Posts
Congrats! It looks very good (although I'm partial to that :D )!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts