SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 02 S40 that through out Check Engine Light couple days ago.<p>Code reader says it is Miss Firing on Cylinder 4.<p>I replaced all spark plugs in February with NGKs and have not had any problems till now.<p>I am still able to pull good MPGs (32 to 34) it seems to want to stall and gives a kickback when RPMs are above 2800. The car is pushing 175k and has been running great until recently. <p>I am looking for a firing order diagram if anyone has one. <br>Is cylinder 4 on one of the 2 coil-packs?<br>

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Re: Looking For Ignition Firing Order on 02 S40 (nForce)

Generally, almost all four-bangers are 1-3-4-2, but there are (or used to be?) a few which are (were?) 1-3-2-4. The B230 in my 240s is 1-3-4-2, so your car is probably the same.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Looking For Ignition Firing Order on 02 S40 (John2x240)

<A HREF="http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2000-volvo-s40-tune-up-vt121292.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.2carpros.com/forum/....html</A><p>George Dill

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
Odd and dumb question but why not go 1.2.3.4 ? <p>Again its been a long long long time since I had to drive / work on a 240 ...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Re: (Chilled Man)

I think it has something to do with balance/vibration/main bearing load issues, especially if it's a three main crank. A five would be stronger, but it means a longer block and more weight. I'd have to do some research for a better explanation, but all of the 4-bangers I've owned (Lotus 6/Coventry Climax, A-H 100-4, MG Midget, two MGBs, about seven Volvos [four 140s and three 240s], a SAAB 99 and an IH Scout Mk1 with the slant 4) had the 1-3-4-2 firing order. Oh yeah, so does my old IH 434 (gas) tractor, but I forget what the Datsun 710 diesel pick-up had.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

according to my Haynes manual the firing order is "1-3-4-2, with number one being at the timing belt end of engine".<p>number 4 cyl is then nearest the battery and has a coil on the plug and a wire to another.<p>good luck

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Looking For Ignition Firing Order on 02 S40 (hastee)

The firing order for a 4-stroke IC in-line piston engine is chosen based on the fact that the piston does not stop at top-dead-center.<p>George Dill

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
hi there<p>If you S40 4 cylinder engine is like the 960 6 cylinder then there will no distributor cap but instead one coil pack per spark plug. However, it might be that like the 960 the S40 has one coil pack controller for cylinders 1 and 2 and another one for 3 and 4. Trying swapping this over and see if the misfire moved to cylinder 1 or 2. Also, erase the fault code and then move the coil pack for cylinder 4 to another cylinder. See if the fault moves. If so, you have a fault coil pack controller or coil pack. As I recall only the 5 cylinder engines have distributor caps. If the S40 4 cylinder has one, check that too.<p>Also, misfire can be due to an injector not firing properly. To check that, you need an oscilloscope to check the injector coil behaviour.<p>Poor spraying patterns etc dont affect petrols as much as diesels. If none of the checks about highlight the fault, try swapping the injector of 4 with another cylinder. Also, complete a compression test to see if that shows anything.<p>keep us posted here and good luck<p>

·
Registered
154 Posts

4 cyl S40 has 2 coil packs: <br>Grey connector goes to coil on #3, same coil also fires #2<br>Blue connector goes to coil on #4, came coil also fires #1<p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts