SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a DIY guide for replacing engine mounts on the 3.2 I6 engine (2007+ MY)?

I searched the forums and Google with not much luck. I've replaced the upper mount (there's a good DIY post on SwedeSpeed) but can't find much for the lower mounts. Assuming they are different than the older 2.5 and the V8 engines, which I've found a few guides/pointers. Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,296 Posts
It is pretty much the same as the 2.5t for all the lower mounts. The upper mount is self-explanatory when you look at it, just 2 bolts. The small one (connects to the axle?) is easy enough and was the last one I did so it tightens with the new mounts' position. Remember to loosen all mounts when raising the engine/transmission. I simply use a jack with a 2x6 piece of wood and shift the jack location closer to the passenger side for the side mount or the toward the center/transmission for the front and rear mounts. To reach the rear mount upper bolt I used two 12in(?) extensions.

The rear is a bear to remove because of access. I had to use some extensions, a flex elbow, try both 3/8" and 1/2" type sockets. I also have flex ratchets for both 3/8" and 1/2", sorry can't remember which one I ultimately used. I only like using 6-sided sockets for this because the weird angles have a higher risk of stripping the nut. I couldn't reach the lower bolt from the rear like in the FCP video, but got the bolt from the front. Then you will have to raise the engine some more to have space to remove the mount. If you loosen the bracket that goes over the steering rack for better lower bolt access (two nuts, don't confuse them with the steering rack ones), just make sure the bracket is aligned perfectly around the steering rack and flat before lowering and tightening nuts (#5 in pic). https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/...=7072&ukey_driveLine=505&ukey_trimLevel=24666

If you are unsure about doing the rear mount, have a shop do it and you can save money by doing the front and side mounts. Again, just loosen that rear upper bolt before raising. Use a good quality jack, not the small portable ones. It should be rated for at least 2 tons or more. You could also add a jack stand with a piece of wood as a back-up safety when raising for the rear mount. I like to be safe especially when fingers are concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA7qjGjg8Yc FCP video for reference

Hope that helps.

GR-380619.jpg

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've had to change my mounts out twice. I used FCP Euro's guides for their 2.5 s60 and VIDA.
The rear and lower side mount were the only pains.
The rear mount takes a lot of finger bolt work.
You'll eventually get it - be patient.

Buy quality OE mounts - don't make my mistake (why I've done them twice). I ended up with Hutchinson mounts. Volvo mounts with the Volvo logo ground off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts