SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm one year away from having to make a decision about a new/used SUV purchase. My top choice is the XC90 2.5T AWD, either new 2007 or used 2004-2005 (AWD, any engine). Are there any major changes expected in 2007 or beyond? Any large discounts or incentive programs predicted? What is the collective feeling of buying a used 2004-2005 AWD model? I've already noticed the resale value of the XC90s are weaker compared with BMW X5s ... any reason for this? Are there any specific things I should be looking out for with used AWD XC90s?

· Registered
682 Posts
Re: Looking for Buyer's Advice (jim07044)

Some minor changes for 2007 (do a search) include color-keyed moldings and tweaks to the front and rear, and a new 6cyl engine.

If you buy used, I'd go for the 2.5T, unless you need more pulling power. The 5cyl is great around town --the engine's been around for years. If you want more power, I'd go for the V8. You'll have more options (6cyl) if you buy a 2007, but i don't know if they're keeping the 5cyl.

As to whether to buy new or used, that really comes down to what you want and how much you'd like to spend. Nobody knows what the incentives will be in a year, but there have been decent incentives recently.

Don't know about the X5s, but I believe the XC90 has one of the highest resale values for SUVs.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Looking for Buyer's Advice (Duett)

Quote, originally posted by Duett »
The 5cyl is great around town --the engine's been around for years.

I've driven a '99 V70 2.4T (GLT) and that engine always seemed kinda rough running to me, more like a German four-cylinder. Is the XC90's 2.5T anything like that? I prefer the smoothness of V6s...

· Registered
116 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jim07044 »

I've driven a '99 V70 2.4T (GLT) and that engine always seemed kinda rough running to me, more like a German four-cylinder. Is the XC90's 2.5T anything like that? I prefer the smoothness of V6s...

My suggestion is to do a test drive. Personally, I feel the 2.5T is too loud and too weak. It totally does not make sense to me to fit such a small engine on a car weights 4500+ lbs.

Again, this is just my personal opinion. You should do a test drive.

· Registered
682 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jim07044 »

It's not as smooth as a 6 or 8 cylinder, but it's plenty torquey and more than fine for me, and for most. The 2.5T is an improvement on the 2.4.

· Registered
2,964 Posts

The XC90 has the highest resale of all SUVs and tied with the Mini Cooper for highest resale of all vehicles (this was before the V8 showed up so I expect it to do as well unless gas tops $3/gal.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.