SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just begun learning how to do this. Last time I tried on my Saab I ended up with tons of little blobs. Looked like my car had a bad case of acne.

Any tips on touching up lots of little dings like this in dark paint?

EDIT: Ok, perhaps never mind. I think I'm just going to try the methods outlined here.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
I've just begun learning how to do this. Last time I tried on my Saab I ended up with tons of little blobs. Looked like my car had a bad case of acne.

Any tips on touching up lots of little dings like this in dark paint?

EDIT: Ok, perhaps never mind. I think I'm just going to try the methods outlined here.
I had the same issue on my car. Demo / Loaner. Had a few nicks on the inner lip of the hood and one along the wiper where hood meets the windshield. Some spots touched up very well, others I gave up on because the touchup was more noticeable than the issue.

I'd say shake the touchup paint very well and apply it thinly. It's really hard to get it looking right.

·
Registered
356 Posts
One other bit of advice is to make sure the paint is warm enough where it will flow easy. If it is cold, it will likely be thick - becomes very difficult to apply without getting blobs.

You can try Dr. Colorchip. I've used their products a few times with decent results... kind of pricey though. There is also Langka. Both products allow you to "level" the touch-up blobs. The latter you can use with any touch-up paint. The former states it can only be used with their formulated paint.

HTH

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm late to your party, but see this. Demo starts around 5:23.

But I have my own problem. I own a '57 PV444. California White, color code 42. I think its the same color as Cascade White code 042? used on later cars.

In there anywhere in America where I can source this paint. I can't find it anywhere. Code seems to be too old from typical suppliers and there are no real automotive paint stores near me. I need more that just a little touch up, but far less that a whole car. For the time being, I'm doing a rolling restoration and at first trying to stabilize rusted areas. Must I resort to white appliance paint?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
478 Posts
q tip??? nah that's too big. you can buy these little dental sticks. i go them and that's what pros use for touch up paint. almost the thickness of a tooth pick and therefore gives them precision accuracy to drop the paint in without getting it all over the edges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts