SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Looking for 240 turbo

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Volvo240 
#1 ·
Hello. I'm looking at getting a 240 turbo. I'm 16 and i'm not in need of a car just yet, but since they are hard to come buy do you think that I should jump on one if it becomes available? Also how much do u think I can get one for that is in decent shape, very little rust is not a problem being that old 240 seem to always have some. Thanks in advance

Volvo240

[This message has been edited by Volvo240 (edited 12-07-2000).]

#2 ·
How much are you looking to spend? There's a guy in Baltimore, MD who's selling a nice '81 242Ti with a bunch of mods. I think he had a classified ad at the Brickboard, but I don't know if it's still up. I seem to remember him saying it was making 280HP and 350lb/ft of torque at 18psi boost. If you were going to jump on one, this would be it, but I don't know what he's asking for it. Let me know if you want his email address.

#4 ·
I am on Long Island...i know of a 240 turbo that is in the process of being restored by a mechanic that should run in your price range when finished and this way you can get to see the work as its being done so you know what you are dealing with...i am in Massapequa and the car is in the Babylon area...i run a volvo club in the metro NY areaand may be able to help you with parts soiurces ...mechanical help etc..if you'd like i suggest that you get your folks involved as most people are leary of selling to a teenager and those that aren't mike take advantage ....if you like you can get back to me at howie207@yahoo.com or 516-798-3618 and maybe i can help let you know what the pitfalls are... Howie Silverman

#5 ·
My parents will definitly be involved, I probably wouldn't pay for it all by myself. They will help me out a little. Well since I don't really need the car yet, my parents don't want me to jump into anything yet, so i'll probably wait until I need the car. Thanks alot for your help. It is good to know of a place for parts because i will probably be getting an older 240.
Thanks again
Volvo240...p.s i live in dix hills.

#6 ·
the car i am referring to will probably not be ready for about a month as it has to have some minor body work and repaint done as well as some mechanicals...it is a black 4 door sedan withleather interior that is in nice shape...it is in Babylon/Islip area so not far from you...also not far from you is a guy that breaks up 240 and 740 models for parts in his backyard ...he is in a secluded area in the Dix Hills/ Deer Park area if that would help you out when the time comes...althoiugh you should not "jump" at anything it might pay to start looking ...juust to educate yourself to make sure that that is really what you want when the time comes..if i can give you or your parents any follow up info let me know ...most important thing is to check the car for rust or rust repair...that is why i mentioned looking at a car before itspainted...paint is a great coverup short term for rust...

#8 ·
Well, you missed out by about a year. I sold my baby to a very lucky guy about this time last year. I had done everything from a stainless steel steering rack to a larger turbo and everything in between. These are a great car, but you should realize that they are not any cheaper to buy / own than a new Volvo. Just because you can get one for $3,000 does not mean that is the only money you will spend. I had about $10k into mine and finally had to sell her because I was out of money and she was so sweet I could not use her to commute to school in. I was 24 at the time and it was too much money, although it was over a six year time frame. I do not want to discourage you, but at the same time you should realize the type of project you are considering, especailly a turbo. For service, the entire car was done by me, and if it was beyond my knowledge I went to George Town Volvo in Smithtown. They are the only ones who earned the right to touch my baby because they proved they knew what they were doing. Good luck, and here is a pic of the one I had to let go..

Sean

#9 ·
God thats beautiful! Thanks for the warning. A turbo would be ideal, but if its gonna cost that much, maybe non turbo then. Are they less to maintain? My grandma has a 84 240, nice condition, very little rust which is being taken care of. Maybe they will give it to me.

Volvo240

#12 ·
Hey, its nice to see another 16yo get into Volvos. I'm actaully 17 now, but am still loveing my 850 that i was fortunate enough to stumble apon. Family is the best. Espcially if its your grandmother who has been driving it. You know she hasn't been pushing it to its limits every day. I would go for that one if she will let you or give you a deal. When do you get your license? About the wheels. I would put up posts in differnt forums like turbobricks.org and ipdusa.com saying you are looking for 240 Turbo wheels. There might be people who buy aftermarket wheels and want to sell the others. Plus, it is good to have another set of wheels to put snow tires on for the winter
. Good luck finding your baby!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.