SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie to this board and I have a couple of questions. The lease on my 1998 Jetta runs in February and I am getting a jump on choosing a new vehicle. I am very interested in the V40. I love the looks, and I am not too worried about high performance, as the car will be used primarily as urban transportation and highway cruiser. Is there anything that I should look out for in selecting a used 2000 or 2001?<P>Also, how is the stock lighting? How readily available are e-code lights?<P>Thaks,<BR>SM<P>

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a 99.5 Jetta and have a 2k1 GTI. I also have a 2k v40. IT SUCKS COMPARED TO VW. I hate this car and can't wait to get rid of it. The window seals wistle on windy days over 70mph, check engine light was looked at 3 times before being fixed, my brake warning light on the dash goes on and off, the usability and location of the power locks and ac controls are ridiculas, the brake dust builds up in one day, the paint is weak and the car feels like the Mitsubihi it was based on. In other words, get a Passat or used Audi.<P>

·
Registered
269 Posts
The 40 series in Europe I found are alot different than they are in North America.<BR>Handling and quality.<BR>We get a much softer all around car, it is a bloody shame but thats what the marketing people think we want.<BR>Just check out a Volvo site from one of the European countries and you will see the choices they have for this car. Maybe not all European countries. I have driven the 40 series in Finland, Estonia and Denmark, and like I said before...they have a far superior vehicle than what we get in North America.<BR>But all said I still think this is a great car for the money.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2001 V40 and it is great, seems better put together than my previous 740 and quality is right up there with anything else on the market. The 2001 is apparently worth the extra money over the 2000 as there were many changes to the suspension etc. It has great performance and handling, though yes the suspension filters out the big bumps, I don't think it is too soft (it is similar to the 740 as a matter of fact, not harsh like the 850's were, and handles as well as the 850 (probably not as well at the t5 or R models but the GLT models yes)). It certainly doesn't feel like a mitshubishi (though is that a bad thing? the japanese don't exactly make horrible cars, boring maybe but not horrible) The car is solid and very well put together, feels like a Volvo to me (and I have owned/driven at least one of the various models from the 120 on, so I think I know what a volvo drives like thank you). Definately test drive the volvo and all it's competitors and buy the one you like best.<BR>

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sure like my V40! 70 mph and I can hear my wifes watch ticking. Solid feeling, responsive, plenty fast, quiet, very comfy etc.<BR>We originaly bought it for my wife, but she is pretty rough on cars, so I "took it" and we bought a used 740 turbo for her!<BR>I think it's a great car. Not a single problem except I think the paint is pretty soft.<BR>The stock lights are pretty darn good. Lots of optional bulbs you can get and E-codes are available I think.<BR>I'd go for a 2001 if I were you. I went with an Auto Broker and got it for $1000 under invoice. The only used ones I found were high end rental cars with options I didn't want to pay for.<P>Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think that a lot of the problems JPA talks about are particular to MY 2000 and earlier cars, and that they have been ironed out in the 2001 model. I have a 2001 model, and the controls have been moved to much more logical locations. I also do not experience the wind noise problems or problems with lights, which I have seen several times on various forums. So if you are going to go for a V40, you should probably stick to MY 2001 and later.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had my 01 V40 for a couple of months now and I'm quite happy with it. <P>JPA's problems with the interior controls don't seem to bother me - my only complaint is with the front cup holder - you can't change cd's and the controls are obscured. But nothing to major.<P>I tried out the Jetta but my wife found the car's seats to be uncomfortable - too hard and too harsh a ride. The Passat we test drove made her wince going over uneven roads, so it was a no go too. I do find the seats in the V40 the best in any car in its class.<P>One thing I've noticed is that the quality of dealer seems to be highly variable in the US (I'll assume you're there). Make sure you go with a good dealer.<P>If you're in NA you may have trouble getting a car off lease - they aren't huge sellers and they've only been on the road here for 3 years (two including MY 02 in Canada). That said I keep seeing ads in the paper for demo sales and the region's Volvo dealers.<P>good luck<P>oh one other thing - MY 2002 will be the last year of the V40. It gets replaced by a V50 next year.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Actually there are rumours that the current car will be sold until the 2004 model year, as after the changes for 2001 the car is seliing well, and Volvo has space in the Nedcar plant until then (of course these are just rumours, and it doesn't mean that Volvo will sell them in North America that long (eg they stopped selling the 940 here in 94 (0r 95) but continued to sell them in europe until at least 99).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I'm out of here. My check engine light came on after being fixed for the thrid time 3 months ago. Plus the dealer says my brake warning light is on be cause my rear disc pads are worn out after only 20k miles on the car AND they won't cover it under warranty. I'm glad you guys like yours but this car has been more trouble since day one then any car I've ever had. <P>I love my 2002 Passat. I can't even compare the two. The VW dealership called everywhere to see what they can get me for my Volvo and no one, not even the Volvo dealership, wants V40s. So if you want a used V40, you can get a good deal. Good luck.<P>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts