SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I currently have a fullsize lifted GMC sierra denali and it is killing me in fuel, approximately $80 every 4-5 days, averaging about 12-13 mpg. So I am biting the bullet and selling/trading in my truck for a car for DD purposes. Now as many of you i love cars/trucks and I'm not about to trade my truck in for a civic. I am looking for a good looking car that you don't see everyday but still has plenty of get up and go. My mom has a 2001 s40 with 50K original miles that she likes, and I love the look of the newish s40/s60.

So I started my search about a week ago and I have found a couple cars that I would consider selling my truck for. Its either between the s60R (2004-2006) or a 2005-2006 s40 T5.

I know this is the S40 forum so I will ask about that here,

The cars I am looking at getting are mostly AWD, some are FWD all T5 and are 2005-2006. I like that fact that they have a higher HP & TQ rating then most in their class and all i'd do to it is prolly an ECU, intake and exhaust....what do you guys think that would get me for whp?

Now I want a car that is reliable, gets good MPG's, and won't be a money pit. Do you guys think I should go after something else or are these good cars? I am concerned about the mileage. Give me your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I went from a trans am to s40 t5 awd so I can feel you about gas. I love this car best car I have had.

·
Registered
837 Posts
with a tune, and exhaust, ( i would skip the intake it does nothing but sound good) your going increase the wear of other common failure parts like turbo control valve, boost pressure sensor, control bypass valve (CBV). your looking at about 250 hp and pushing 290 lb ft. these are really ballpark figures, it depends on tune and exhaust system. whether you do stage 1 or stage 2 with a downpipe. itll be quick but not as quick as an s60 R with the same upgrades. I personally dont like the longer nose of the s60 so I got the s40 and I have no regrets.

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
If you are looking to tinker with the car to get high HP, you will have to sacrifice MPG. The S40s start with very decent MPGs stock. What MPG's are you hoping to get in your next car?
S60Rs start at the low 20's to about 27 highway.
S40 T5 are mid 20's to high 20's.

From my experience, I can say that my S40 has been very reliable. They have been in the market for awhile now and gotten a good shakedown, so all the "issues" have come to light and received quite a bit of scrutiny on this forum. The engine and transmission are robust and I have yet to hear about a transmission failure.

You really need to get familiar with the S60 R before jumping into one because it will be very costly if you overlook something. If you decide to get one, get the advice from R owners (R forum), or better yet, get one to look at the car with you. They know what to look for.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've got a v50 T5 and my drive to work is about 13 miles with about 50/50 highway and city. I drive like every light is a drag race strip since I'm usually leaving late for work. I end up getting like 21mpg. Days when I actually don't hit snooze... twice... I end up more around 26. As for reliability my car does have 101k miles and is lowered. Had it for a year and replaced coolant tank, one wheel bearing, and a front sway bar link ( I broke putting in the new springs...) I do think about never looking for an SR but I'm pumped to have what I have because its something that is different, good looking, fun, and practical.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I agree with most of what is said. I've had my 2005 S40 T5 for just over 7 years and all in all it's been pretty reliable.
I only have about 50k miles on it but I agree that except for the PCV and two other things all under recall/extended warranty, it has been quite reliable and never broke down on me. Touching wood :p

My biggest critic is probably anything related to transmission like bearings, axles, hubs, weak wheel stability feel when braking harder on uneven pavement.
An other thing is that for its power it doesn't respond as much as many other cars. A little bit too much turbo lag but I've learned to leave with it and considering all its qualities it still is a winner for me.

For the size of the car the parts are also expensive. It's expensive because it's a Volvo. So when considering S60 vs. S40 I would say cost for parts and labor are going to be proportionally to the cost of the car more in favor of the S60.
I assume the S60 might have more issues though but I don't own one so whatever.

It has and remains the best car I've had. I was planning on changing the car every 10 yrs but I'm going to keep this one for much longer I think.
The S40s are actually a very nice blend of good qualities. They won't match the sporty feel of some of its competition nor the practicality of other larger vehicle but all in all they are an under estimated gems imo.

Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Would look for a 2007 AWD M66, best P1 available. It's right after a number of the early model issues, has auxiliary option if u can find it, preface lifted which u prefer, and can be had for a reasonable price.

We have out 50k+ miles on ours in 3 years and have only invested maybe $100 now it parts aside from regular service. Both side inner axle boots and a coolant reservoir. Best car I have had yet.

She gets bout 30mpg commuting all highway with light mods and is 10x more reliable than any of the p2 chassis Volvos which have design flaws like a mofo.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Search through this forum if you want to see what some of the common problems are that we face with our cars. Honestly though, if you leave your car stock under the hood, you'll find that these are very reliable cars.

The Rs seem to face more costly issues than the P1s do, plus the handling of the S40 feels a lot better than the bigger P2s, but the S60 is definitely more comfortable. I would test drive both and see what you think.

My car has 96K miles, I've driven S40s for 3 years, and it's been great for me with minimal "serious" problems. But take my word, your small list of mods will grow whether you intend for it to or not. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I think I found the car I want to go with. Its a 2005 S40 t5 FWD silver with black leather interior with an auto. It has 103K on it and is super clean and looks to be well maintained. They are asking $7k for it. What do you guy think? Anything I should look out for with that many miles? I'm not looking to spend more that 12-13K so a newer model is out of the question.

I just can't see spending an extra $5-6K for 20K less miles....unless you guys think it is worth it? Whatever car I get will be maintained to a T. I pretty anal about my cars.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Would see if the timing belt service/120k has been performed. Otherwise u should anticipate about a $1200 service in the very near future.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats what I figured, if it hasn't been done I am hoping to use that as a negotiation point. The car looks to be in really good shape. How does the price sound?

Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
scratch that it is a 2004.5. Any issues being it was the first model?
Nope. If it's well taken care of, there should be no issues. Mine's a 04.5 in the same color and interior.
Well, the PCV system, SSS issue should have been fixed by now. Check to see if you have the updated PCV hose. Leather may crack on the bolster area if they have never been conditioned.
Check for service records for the transmission fluid.

Can't think of any other problems with these cars really.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks guys....I am in Boston, MA. Hoping to go look at it tonight. I will keep you guys posted!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts