SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from another side of SwedeSpeed! I'm currently looking at adding another Volvo to the family; something bigger for the extra space.

I've come from a long history of Volvos (multiple S70s when they were the newer model cars) and know the routine when it comes to the standard Volvo servicing. Just wondering what I should be watching out for when shopping for a higher mileage V70XC or S70. Any common issues? Particular model years to try and avoid?

I know there's other threads covering this topic, it's just easier to ask and be scolded for not searching. Provide any links if you have them!

Any help will be much appreciated!
Thanks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hello from another side of SwedeSpeed! I'm currently looking at adding another Volvo to the family; something bigger for the extra space.

I've come from a long history of Volvos (multiple S70s when they were the newer model cars) and know the routine when it comes to the standard Volvo servicing. Just wondering what I should be watching out for when shopping for a higher mileage V70XC or S70. Any common issues? Particular model years to try and avoid?

I know there's other threads covering this topic, it's just easier to ask and be scolded for not searching. Provide any links if you have them!

Any help will be much appreciated!
Thanks.
try 98 to avoid etm issues.
also make sure the tires are all matching and are rotated correctly, un even wear will cause awd troubles

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
98's don't have ETMs but 99-00 have little cosmetic details that look better. In my opinion the engine bay is more polished and refined looking. Don't let the ETM fiasco totally turn you off from the 99-00 XCs. If you know when it's failing and know what to expect, you'll replace it and be done with it.

Other than that, it's just another needy Volvo to love :) You've owned a Volvo before, you probably know what you're in for.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
The biggest thing with XC models is the AWD system. They are very picky when it comes to tire size and diameter. If you see mismatched tires, walk away. Many XCs of this vintage are running around with the center driveshaft removed, making them FWD only. Clunks or vibrations are often signs of failures in the AWD system, which can become pricey to repair. Basically, make sure the AWD system works well, and you have a good starting point.

99-00 are smoother to drive than a 98, due largely to the upgraded ME7 ECU, which of course includes the "dreaded" ETM.

AWD models are known for hard starting issues due to a failing check valve in the fuel pump. If the car cranks for ~8 seconds before starting, its most likely the check valve, and it can be repaired with a $30 aftermarket valve. Fuel pump replacement is more involved due to the AWD, but is not as big a deal as some may lead you to believe.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strongly considering an S70 now, but a quick question. When are the timing belt services scheduled for on these cars?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
70K up to 98
105K 99 and newer

OR 7 YEARS, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car I'm looking at is near 150k miles. I know it's had the timing belt done once by a dealer, just wondering if I should be checking the records for a recent belt replacement, or is it coming up? Possibly the same mileage markers as the P1 S40s?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Maintenance/care, and Climate, contribute to the overall health of the car, any car.

+1 on matching tires.

For me, 98 SoCal car; no awd problems.

North Ga weather isn't terribly harsh.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The car I'm looking at is near 150k miles. I know it's had the timing belt done once by a dealer, just wondering if I should be checking the records for a recent belt replacement, or is it coming up? Possibly the same mileage markers as the P1 S40s?
refer to the post preceding yours. 70+70=140, so quite possible that the belt is overdue, if it's a '98

·
Registered
7,612 Posts

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome, thanks! I was too lazy to search for it ;)

Why don't you just buy mine
It's as perfect a Gen 1 XC as you will ever find

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?189193-quot-New-quot-2000-V70-XC-Moondust-Oak-Arena
I looked at it, but it's out of my GF's price range. Trying to stay under $3k and locally.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
$3k for a XC means it will need another $2-3k to bring up to snuff. Easier and cheaper to buy a well sorted car.

The only exceptions to that rule are Jim, Bob, Chris, Hussein, and I. Lol.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
That's why we're looking at S70s and 850s now.
Same rule applies with an S70, you get what you pay for.
Only difference is the AWD components, everything else is the same and fails just as often!!

All these people are buying cheap XCs (or any Gen 1) then come to all the boards and complain that their car needs this, needs that, etc
You pay $1500-$2500 for a car with 150K miles and you get a $1500-$2500 car, usually needing about two to three that amount of work (or more!!!) to make it right.
No working AC, no suspension (left). Trashed interiors, rusted out brakes and cable. bad oil lines, bad transmissions
..... the list is endless.
You need to understand, these are OLD CARS now, (850s even older and cruder) and if it has not been almost completely rebuilt, owned by someone who cared about it, and serviced all the time, all you will be buying is a 3500 lb. piece of junk.
Mark my words and don't forget them if you go this route.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Even my 03 C70 with only 89k on it needed the entire front suspension rebuilt. Tie rods, ball joints, spring seats, end links and wheel bearings all were worn out. I spent about $1000 wholesale for just the parts.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I understand what we're getting into and what all will most likely need to be replaced/rebuilt.

We've had 3 S70s in the past (back when they were less than 10 years old), but high mileage. Anything can be expected.

That's also why we've taken a few months to find a good car. A lot that we have looked at have been taken care of, but just didn't feel right. Going to look at another one on Thursday, lower mileage and the service records and interior/exterior condition appear promising; seeing/driving it in person could be the deal breaker though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts